RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

uhighfreak

Feb 5, 2004, 7:19 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Regional Coordinators for Access Fund
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just interested to find out who represents the Access Fund in Illinois and Missouri. But, when I went to accessfund.com, I found out that neither of these states have representatives. I was wondering if any one knew what the accessfund does about projects and problems in these states when they do not have a representative. Also, how will our state ever develop the great climbing that could be in Missouri if we have no one representing us?

On a side note, I was wondering what all is involved in being a representative. I am sure there are a few representatives that are members that could enlighten me. Thanks

asandh

Feb 6, 2004, 1:13 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Re: Regional Coordinators for Access Fund [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:idea:

jer

Feb 6, 2004, 2:18 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhigh-
Barry Gilbert of Columbia used to be the Missouri rep...but he had kids and got a big lawyer job and subsequently lost interest (this is all theory...mostly).
While he was in charge, I have been told he made contact with all landowners along the Missouri river (Starting with Rocheport and heading south). Most wanted big bucks for land access to the climbing above the katy trail. I believe over a million duckets was one quote for Wilton possibly...or maybe Andromeda? Both had substantial price tags...as they should-it's some incredible real estate. I do know that the AF was a part of one of the land purchase considerations. Gilbert is a lawyer which I would imagine helped tremendously with legal knowledge and what not. For a long time I thought this made him the best person for the job, but as far as I can tell, nothing came of his association with the Fund other than a pretty little tick on his resume. I attempted to contact him NUMEROUS times while I lived in Missouri, with never a response from my phone messages, emails and even snail mail.
Earthquake Hollow, Andromeda, Wilton, Henley are all fantastic and locally historic climbing areas that have illegal or fishy access problems.
I am sure Gilbert is a swell fellow, but in retrospect, I don't feel his legal background got him anywhere without the time, passion, and motivation that is needed to GET THINGS DONE. Uhigh; I EMPLORE you, learn what you need to do to get things done right; be a gentleman; be professional and maybe with some patience and help from the AF, Missouri will have access to the minute ammount of rock it barely hosts. After you get the developed areas open, then go for the undeveloped. There's a lifetime of untouched steep limestone in the state. Don't believe me? Get in a boat.
If you are NOT the man for the job, find the person who is and be their right hand man-help them stay motvated and on task.
I have no excuses for not getting involved when I lived there. I developed like a fiend in the legal areas, but ignored the illegal ones, as I felt I didn't have the skills necessary nor the legal background. What a waste.
I had passion, a love for Earthquake, Andromeda and Wilton and a lot of time on my hands. I also had a fear of making things worse than they already are. I follow the rules...I climb in camouflauge, I sneak in, I climb in the off seasons...I'm quiet and respectful...but what if things get worse by pursuing greater access? Electric fences? Rent a Rangers on Bikes? I know that many have been fined and had their gear taken; luckily I have not had this experience. It's scary to think what response one would get from being an overzealous, motivated climber with a bull in a china shop single-mindedness. So there you have it- my encouragement and my warning. Be paranoid. Be smart. Please keep me updated. I have friends at the AF...they would be super psyched on any help.

Jer

Partner tim

Feb 6, 2004, 2:58 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep. It's all about time. If you have the time and motivation to make things happen, the AF will love you. Just recognize that it's tough as shit because there are a lot of people who do not care, or worse, think it's 'cool' to do whatever they please. Talk to Deanne and see what comes of it.

uhighfreak

Feb 6, 2004, 6:07 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, thank you for all your responses so far. All of the responses, including the one about going to the Access Fund website, have there place in this message. I was thinking about getting the names of the people that live along the bluffs and contacting them. I have access to that info from working for Boone County Public Works. I figure, if nothing else, I can find out what these millions of dollars land rights involved, whether it was a purchase of the actual land or just the right to climb on the bluffs. I figure the huge prices were to buy the land, but what if we were able to use the bluffs and not walk on the land around their homes. I know from visiting some of the areas, that you would never run into the land owners if you did not use their land to get to the bluffs. I do have a suspension that the land owners would not like people crossing their lands on the top of the bluffs to ge to the climbing area. But what would happen if we got access as long as we traveled on the Katy Trail to get to the climbing areas. I am right know only talking about the bluffs in Boone County but if anyone knows of other areas, I would be interesting in knowing about thoses too. You have to research before you move on things as I have always learned in school.

P.S. -> I am in no way thinking about representing the Access Fund as of right now. I do not have the experience as a climber to be that influential. Just a curious climber who would like to find out some information and try to help

okinawatricam

Feb 6, 2004, 6:13 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eric Ulner's is southern IL regional coordinator. He has a screen name on this site, send him a pm and he will anwser you.

Eman

uhighfreak

Feb 6, 2004, 4:31 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can not find Eric's name in the database of members. I know that he lives around the Draper's Bluff area but he is not the one that posted information on the area and he is not listed under the Illinois members list. If you could provide a little more information and/or his screenname so that I could talk to him, I would greatly appreciate it.

climbincajun

Feb 6, 2004, 5:08 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uhighfreak,
i am regional coordinator for southern az.

pm me and ill be happy to answer any ?'s you might have.
james

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook