Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

redroxboy

Feb 4, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #1 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Climbers that compete
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just curious to know if the is any climbers that compete. Im 17 and can onsight v4 and 5.11 somewhat easily. Does anyone know what level a person should be climbing at to start competing? Any help would be really cool. Thanks.

leaverbiner

Feb 4, 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #2 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbers that compete [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm giving yout he benefit of the doubt that this isn't a troll . ..

Most climbing competitions are divided into categories such as beginner, intermediate, advanced and open. This allows climbers of all abilities to compete. Most competitions will giveyou an idea of the ability range they expect for each category.

If you are talking about competing on a national or international level . .. you've got a ways to go (no offense, just the realities), and, more likely than not, you will know when you are capable of competing at that level.

But, if competitive climbing is something you are interested definitely get in touch with local gyms and see what competitions they have coming up. . . . there will most likely be an appropriate category for your ability level.

madriver

Feb 4, 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #3 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what type of competions?

Check here for bouldering comps...
http://rockcomps.com/

...check here for difficulty (routes/lead climbing)
http://www.usclimbing.org/

climbhigh2005

Feb 4, 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #4 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

ClimbHigh2005 moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClimbHigh2005 moved this thread from General to Competition Climbing.

madriver

Feb 4, 2004, 11:03 PM
Post #5 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...btw...at 17 you can compete in bouldering and difficulty comps against people your age and ability. In USA (Formally USCCA) climbing you would compete against climbers 16-17 years old. ABS or bouldering comps you will compete against your piers of similar ability. Most gyms or comps will list the categories by ability.

V0-V2 beginner
V3-V5 Intermediate
V6 and up Expert

All comps vary in their category ratings.

jakedatc

Feb 5, 2004, 3:56 AM
Post #6 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't forget the old folks catagory.. so Edge can win his chalk supply for the year.. teehee

tart

Feb 10, 2004, 12:13 AM
Post #7 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To be competitive in US Climbing, at 17, you'll need to be bouldering quite a bit higher...probably in the V8-V9 range.

My son competes at the 12/13 age level, and he can regularly on-sight V5s; outside, he's worked through a few V7s and V8s. Indoor top roping is probably in the 5.12+ range. He's placed in the top 10 for the two years he's been competing in the US Climbing national comp.

However, at ABS comps, or regular gym comps, he sometimes has a tough time placing in men's intermediate, where's he's climbing against much stronger, much taller, and more experienced climbers.

My advice is go -- have a great time -- get some experience -- and don't worry about where you'll place. It will always depend on who else is competing.

climbsomething

Feb 10, 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #8 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Feh. I compete once in a rare while, and I am no Rands- V1 makes me happy, V2 makes me ecstatic, V3 and up makes me... a mess :shock: Not all competitors are mutants- just, perhaps, the winners :P Plenty are just normal peeps who like to have fun.

Then again, I am a 23-year-old girl, and as such am required to wear really cute Prana sport tops while bouldering, so I am forgiven my weaknesses ;) :roll:

reprieve

Feb 10, 2004, 12:23 AM
Post #9 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yah dude, I don't know anything about USA comps or whatever, but I competed in an ABS comp after climbing for just 1 month! I placed REALLY low, but I had a blast, it only cost me 15 bucks, and I actually won a free pair of shoes in a raffle!

moral of story: ABS comps = fun for all climbers, age or experience regardless

iltripp

Feb 10, 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #10 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...btw...at 17 you can compete in bouldering and difficulty comps against people your age and ability. In USA (Formally USCCA) climbing you would compete against climbers 16-17 years old. ABS or bouldering comps you will compete against your piers of similar ability. Most gyms or comps will list the categories by ability.

V0-V2 beginner
V3-V5 Intermediate
V6 and up Expert

All comps vary in their category ratings.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what stops people from lying? For example, let's say I can climb V6, but I enter a competition and say that I am Intermediate. Then, I win and get whatever prize there is. Is there some kind of regulation for entries? Again, this is probably a dumb question, but I know nothing about comps...

tart

Feb 10, 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #11 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because the comp organizers will bump you up to the next higher category, or wherever you place (in most cases). For example, at the Triple Crown comps this past fall, if you had two or more climbs above your category (say a V6 and a V7) then you would have gotten bumped out of the intermediate category, which was for V3-V5 climbers. My son got bumped two categories at a recent ABS comp -- and he won men's intermediate.

And the incentive is to send the best problems -- the prizes are usually kind of lame for anything except the open categories, who win cash.

superfox

Feb 10, 2004, 1:35 AM
Post #12 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To be competitive in US Climbing, at 17, you'll need to be bouldering quite a bit higher...probably in the V8-V9 range.

I know the two kids who got first and second in the US Climbing nationals in the 16/17 male age division personally, and the first place kid has sport-climbed one 14b, and two 14a's, and bouldered up to V9, onsighting one of them. The second place kid has sport-climbed one 14a and bouldered many V10's, and maybe a V11.

You don't need to be this good to compete and have fun, however. I have only redpointed up to 12a, and get my butt kicked at all the competitions, but it's still fun, basically like a 3-hour long sending session, with all new routes. In my experience, bouldering comps are a lot more relaxed and the vibe is much better than in roped competitions.

reprieve

Feb 10, 2004, 6:19 AM
Post #13 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

In my experience, bouldering comps are a lot more relaxed and the vibe is much better than in roped competitions.

same here

realization

Feb 11, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #14 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I <3 tart's son

tart

Feb 12, 2004, 2:36 AM
Post #15 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What does that mean?

lagart

Feb 12, 2004, 4:10 PM
Post #16 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To now more about climbing competitions, check out these links:

Competition Training

You can have a look at this video to learn a little bit about the history of climbing comps:

http://www.vertvideo.com/Movies/Get%20Motivated.html

If you are the video-download type, go to www.petzl.com and download the World Cup competitions (bouldering, lead and speed).

lagart

Feb 12, 2004, 4:14 PM
Post #17 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Uhm.... now I see the buttons at the top of the screen....

http://www.planetfear.com/...gresham/ng_comps.htm

http://www.vertvideo.com/...Get%20Motivated.html

http://www.petzl.com

realization

Feb 12, 2004, 6:40 PM
Post #18 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only joking, I don't really know why I said it, it just seemed like when I read the post, you talked a lot about your son, he seems like a strong climber ... didn't mean anything by it.

realization

Feb 12, 2004, 6:41 PM
Post #19 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only joking, I don't really know why I said it, it just seemed like when I read the post, you talked a lot about your son, he seems like a strong climber ... didn't mean anything by it.

madriver

Feb 12, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #20 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...o.k...

...but what does...
In reply to:
I <3 tart's son

....mean?

jakedatc

Feb 12, 2004, 7:29 PM
Post #21 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for those uniniciated in the wold of old school emoticons <3 looks like a heart... meaning I (heart/love) blah blah

tart

Feb 13, 2004, 10:36 AM
Post #22 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

no problem -- like madriver, i truly didn't know that it was a heart...(are we showing our age?)

but my son is an awesome climber and I <3 hiim too!!!!

junkie

Feb 16, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #23 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It really depends on WHICH competitions you are interested in. Local comps, who cares how hard you yank? Go, play. Have fun. Learn. Get stronger BY competing. Just go in with the right mind-set about comps: That they are there for you to have fun, not get mad if you don't climb well, or place how you wanted to.

If you are talking about traveling to compete, to hit the PCA or other similar type comps...well let me put it this way:

I travel with and climb with a 16 year old who sends 13c, boulders V11 and he gets crushed at these national level comps. I too climb at about the same level. But at these comps....well, let's say it's embarrassing not being able to get of the freaking ground on a boulder problem in front of all of your friends... My housemate is able to climb much better than I am...and sometimes does not make the cut either. Other times he does fairly well.

Hope this answers what you were after.

rckclimbergurl

Feb 24, 2004, 4:22 AM
Post #24 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It really depends on WHICH competitions you are interested in. Local comps, who cares how hard you yank? Go, play. Have fun. Learn. Get stronger BY competing. Just go in with the right mind-set about comps: That they are there for you to have fun, not get mad if you don't climb well, or place how you wanted to.

If you are talking about traveling to compete, to hit the PCA or other similar type comps...well let me put it this way:

I travel with and climb with a 16 year old who sends 13c, boulders V11 and he gets crushed at these national level comps. I too climb at about the same level. But at these comps....well, let's say it's embarrassing not being able to get of the freaking ground on a boulder problem in front of all of your friends... My housemate is able to climb much better than I am...and sometimes does not make the cut either. Other times he does fairly well.

Hope this answers what you were after.

At least you had the guts TO compete... :roll:

junkie

Feb 25, 2004, 9:10 PM
Post #25 of 26 (6034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You'll compete next time. Don't worry...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook