RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 14, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #1 of 6 (3539 views)
Shortcut

Rap rings in a slackline
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried using rappelling rings in a primitive slackline setup instead of carabiners? Mine weren't actual rap rings, but similar industrial steel rings from saftey harnesses and it seemed to work just fine and the rings were a lot less expensive than carabiners. I do believe the smaller curve diameter increased friction a bit, but for shorter/looser setups it wouldn't really be an issue.

Just out of curiosity when I was doing some workbench testing I made a primtive using some 5/8" tubular nylon and rings and the overall weight and space reduction was pretty noticable, and it packed up tiny.

I thought the idea might be useful to someone else out there wanting to save weight and cost.

jer

Feb 14, 2004, 4:46 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3539 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rap rings in a slackline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ethos has a model that uses rap rings.

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 14, 2004, 7:11 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ethos has a model that uses rap rings.

Go figure, I forgot about that. I hadn't seen one of their rigs in over six months so it skipped my mind. None the less, it might not be a bad tip for someone wanting to save a few bucks on their slackline if they want to make their own and don't mind it adding extra friction from the smaller turnnig radius.

therealbovine

Feb 20, 2004, 9:25 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A note from ethos:

The "rolled aluminum" style rap rings from SMC are NOT strong enough to use in a slackline rig. They deform, and become unsafe in as little as one use, as we tested these rings long ago on a few prototypes.

If you decide to try using rap rings in your slackline rig, which is not an easy task with tied lines (feeding your tension rig or tying webbing through the rings is more time consuming and frustrating than just clipping a carabiner), we recommend the 30+kn steel rings manufactured by Fixe and NOT the aluminum OR hardware store versions that other slackline companies use.

Best of luck!

s e a n @ e t h o s c l i m b i n g . c o m

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 20, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A note from ethos:
The "rolled aluminum" style rap rings from SMC are NOT strong enough to use in a slackline rig.

Agreed, you double them for a rappel for a reason. The industrial safety rigging ones we were playing with were 20KN+ if I remember right, but I'd have to check.

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 20, 2004, 9:50 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You would also have to thread the line through the ring from the end, and pull all the slack through instead opf just clipping it where needed... Think putting someone on belay by threading the line through the ATC and locker and having to pull all the slack through. :idea:

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook