RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

chico2442

Feb 18, 2004, 8:16 AM
Post #1 of 2 (478 views)
Shortcut

Point Loma University
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey

i'm thinking about transfering to Point Loma U. from Seattle Pacific U., i was just wondering if there were any climbers on rockclimbing.com that might go there.

And if so...hows the climbing like around Sd or so-cal from a college students point of view? (if that makes sense)

thanks

jonathan

climbbaja

Feb 18, 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #2 of 2 (478 views)
Shortcut

Re: Point Loma University [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey Jonathan,
I live about a mile north of the PLNU campus. You will have some of the best surfing (reef break) in SoCal right below campus at Sunset Cliffs. Many scenic biking/jogging routes around too. One mile north is the "PumpWall" in Ocean Beach. It provides for a good workout on a concrete block seawall. 5.10 traversing moves will build strength and endurance/hang-time quickly.

Single pitch routes are as close as Mission Gorge, less than 30 minutes drive. Bouldering at Santee, 35 minutes from PLNC, and Mt. Woodson, 50 minutes, provide year round climbing. Idyllwild at 110 miles (2 hours) has 3 season multipitch trad (Tahquitz Rock and Suicide Rock) on top quality granite in alpine setting. Three hours will get you to Williamson Rock, sport climbing in the mountains, or to Joshua Tree trad/sport in the high desert. For more info and free online guidebook check out the San Diego Climber's Coalition website at:
http://www.giantsoftware.com/sdcc/

In the rare event of actual rain, there is an indoor climbing gym just 10 minutes drive from the campus:
http://www.solidrockgym.com/

I'm still in San Diego because it's a great "basecamp". Within two or three hours you will find climbing, mountains, desert, Baja, sand dunes, four-wheeling, sea kayaking, scuba diving, sailing, dirt biking, the list goes on...
My only complaint is that the skiing is mediocre, unless one makes the 6 hour drive to Mammoth. I've gone skiing, surfing, and climbing all on the same (long) day! Feel free to PM me if you transfer to PLNU.

Oh, and from a college student's point of view: almost forgot to mention nightclubs/drinking (age 18+) in Tijuana and Rosarito Beach in Baja California, Mexico. The PLNU girls are really cute, but on the conservative side. They tell me church attendance is mandatory. But who knows, maybe they f*** "religiously" every Friday night :twisted:

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook