Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
J Tree, where to camp?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

climbrc

Feb 18, 2004, 6:17 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1451 views)
Shortcut

J Tree, where to camp?  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I never been to J Tree, but will be there this April. This page suggests to camp at Hidden valley. Any recommendations?

Partner rrrADAM

Feb 18, 2004, 6:25 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1451 views)
Shortcut

Re: J Tree, where to camp? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hidden Valley Campground is the best.

fredbob

Feb 18, 2004, 6:35 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Finding a campsite in Hidden Valley Campground in April might be challenging. But, you might be able to share one with another party or just get lucky. In that case, HVCG is the best place to camp, particularly if you have never been to Josh before. There is a lot of climbing in the Campground area and plenty within walking distance.

Next bet would be Ryan CG located about 2.0 miles further southeast on Park Blvd.

Jumbo Rocks (8.3 miles eastwards from HVCG) often has open sites.

Belle CG (11.7 miles east on Park Blvd then 1.2 miles south on Pinto Basin Road) is another option.

Lastly, you can try Indian Cove CG, but since this area is isolated from most of the rest of the climbing in the Park, it is really only an option if you plan of climbing in Indian Cove and Rattlesnake Canyon areas.

Have a fun trip.

Randy

flagpolewizard

Feb 18, 2004, 7:02 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a couple warnings though

if you ask me, hv is so scrowded I wouldn't climb there if you paid me, I can't stand it, I just avoid that whole section of the park until around july when the heat runs off or kills the tourist types, kind of sucks getting blisters from touching the rock though

jumbo isn't bad, its close to split rock, which is a fairly under rated climbing area and because split rock is only a day use area, its usually pretty uncrowded and the parking is good, plus split rock and jumbo both have some awsome shade, when your there on a hot day you'll understand what thats worth, hidden valley blows for shade

bring some sun glasses too, its crazy bright with the sun reflecting off the sand, and water goes without saying

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook