RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

crazygirl

Feb 24, 2004, 3:51 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1011 views)
Shortcut

need motivation
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i'm afraid, i'm losing motivation. i was at the gym last night, and i was bored. i was also too distracted to focus. i hope this feeling is not long term. it just felt so hum-drum. do you guys know what i'm talking about?

kimmyt

Feb 24, 2004, 4:04 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Re: need motivation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Winter, gym-climbing doldrums.

K.

maculated

Feb 24, 2004, 5:43 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a break. I usually go crazy if I don't climb for a while, but then you get into a groove and have fun in other ways. When you go back to it you'll have fun. You might be chasing numbers and getting upset with your performance, too . . . happens to us all.

crazygirl

Feb 24, 2004, 5:56 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not chasing numbers right now. (I did that last month 8) ) Now, I'm more into endurance and climbing more efficently type of training. Unfortunately, 'Climbing just for fun' doesn't do it for me anymore. Hope its just temporary.

ecocliffchick

Mar 1, 2004, 7:38 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally know what you're talking about. It's likely that your stuck in the gym right now. This happens to me every year around this time.

If you don't feel like climbing - don't go. Really, sometimes it's just frustrating and boring to be stuck in a gym. When you start to miss your climbing friends, then go back to the gym as a social event. If you find your focus is only on you, you'll get bored, but if you can motivate your friends and have fun with them, the gym isn't such a dreary place.

timstich

Mar 2, 2004, 6:48 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's definitely the climbing gym. I would get that bored why-am-I-here feeling frequently. My solution was to not go as often. Right now, I don't go to climbing gyms at all. Sure, I'll be a tiny bit weaker when the weather improves, but I'll gain the strength back pretty quickly. It's just no fun doing things you don't enjoy. I would rather play squash than pull plastic, frankly.

litleclimberchick

Mar 5, 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree, you're probably just tired of climbing in the gym. don't worry, you haven't lost your motivation to climb, you've lost your motivation to climb indoors [no offense to climbing gyms]. you'll be okay once you get outside. :)

thegogirl

Mar 13, 2004, 5:07 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1011 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some simple suggestions:
take a break for a week; watch climbing videos for mental stimulation
go to a different climbing gym if possible just to experiment socially and climbing. Rocks in different places as in holds, routes, styles and climbers are always different.
Do something else; no climbing at all if you are bored. Your muscles and your brain may be in synch to tell you it's time to not climb....rest or cross train in something else=bike, run sprints, run miles, etc...
read a good climbing book or fitness book; plan your "attack plan" for climbing goals....use a calendar to plan out a training game plan.
enjoy some free time

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook