RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

treebeard

Feb 23, 2004, 4:40 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Numb thumb
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've only been climbing for about 4 months now and I'm not even sure if this injury is climbing related but I thought it might be. The problem is that my left thumb in between the two knuckles keeps going numb. The rest of my hand also seems to be cold a lot so I thought it might have something to do with circulation. Any ideas as to the cause of this strange numbing?

dontfall

Feb 23, 2004, 1:45 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Re: Numb thumb [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...iewtopic.php?t=51147

Partner drrock

Feb 26, 2004, 2:39 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Best guess is not circulation but superficial nerve (sensory nerve) damage or compression. Did you smack your thumb ever? Is it more numb when it is cold out? Sensory nerve impulses travel slower when they are cold, so nerves that are damaged might be totally normal when warm but numb when cold out (I have this problem on my left index finger after smacking it on a boulder problem a couple months ago where the nerve comes out from the hand onto the finger). Pinched nerve in the neck from the 5-6 cervical vertebral disk could cause this also. Ever hurt your neck?

This is only a guess. You might also have a severe life threatening terrible condition that only a physician you are seeing could diagnose. :shock:

treebeard

Feb 29, 2004, 1:25 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I havent ever injured my neck, but I did smack my thumb pretty hard a while ago. But it doesnt seem to be a problem any more because the weather is warming up.

cliffmonkey2003

Feb 29, 2004, 1:48 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the same problem and when I told my mom about it a few years ago, she explained that when I was really young I had had frostbite on my thumb. Whenever it gets wet for more than a few minutes or occasionally in cold weather it goes numb on the outside part of it. I attribute it to possible nerve damage from frostbite.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook