RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

xcaliclimber

Mar 2, 2004, 2:18 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Chacos
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been looking to buy a pair of Z2 chacos and can't seem to find any that fit the criteria of:

a. are under the normal price (80-95$)

If anybody knows a site that has them, or has an opinion on them (good or bad), please reply!

debsanders

Mar 3, 2004, 3:58 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chacos [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

REI just dumped some in their big clearance sale. We picked up a pair for, are you ready for this, $25.00 :D

Partner holdplease2

Mar 4, 2004, 9:02 AM
Post #3 of 9 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mgear.com has some on sale according to a mailing which I received. Don't recall the price, but you can probably check on their site.

-Kate.

Partner holdplease2

Mar 4, 2004, 9:06 AM
Post #4 of 9 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah,

I have had mine for 2 years and have worn the tread completely away. Every time I put them on I am as happy as when I got them. The lack of buckles/complications (unlike teva) is better for my feet, I think.

Some models have a more "aggressive" sole with deeper tread. This seems like a good idea.

-Kate.

rockchickar

May 2, 2004, 2:15 AM
Post #5 of 9 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Ebay- I got a pair last year for $40-- welll worth the purchase!

highminded

May 3, 2004, 6:48 AM
Post #6 of 9 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good luck on finding the Chacos, but have you tried them on yet???

I've been wearing them for a year and I don't like them! I bought them as climbing approach shoes, because they were a simple to get in and out of, had no velcro to get gunked up and looked compact enough to hang off my harness withough getting in the way too much.

But I found some negatives about them. The soles are too slick and provide bad footing on slabs. The straps don't hold your foot tight enough and you slide out the front and trip over yourself (I don't have the kind that go between your toes, because they hurt your toes when walking long distances). Also, and this is the worst tghing about them, the texture of the sole (the part that touches your foot) is REALLY rough and it doesn't soften up (don't let the sales person tell you it will -- it won't). I get blisters on my feet every time I wear the darn things, which now is just around town.

I've gone back to Teva's "Pretty Rugged" model for my approach shoes, which I'm also not crazy about (ankle straps don't really fit my foot well and the velcro is annoying), but they're better than the Chacos.

Just a warning: if you haven't tried them on, do so before you buy.

cypress

May 3, 2004, 7:09 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Chaco offers a bunch of choices of soles, one in particular handles wet slabby rock very well, it is a smooth non-marking vibram. I wore mine as a raft guide and used them for running around in and they were awesome. Now I have the thicker soled "hiker" style. It is great to change into once I am at the cliff but open foot is just begging for the old stick in between the toe poke. I almost had my toe nail ripped off. There is something to be said for the approach shoe.

Reading about hiking in sandals brought back the memories. Might I suggest an approach shoe? Mountain Masters have a sole peel issue and are a little bulky - but that 5.10 rubber rules! Sprortiva has some sales through Campmor.

As for the deal on Chacos, I won a pair at a trail day sponsored by Chaco. Check out some of the trail days around your neck of the woods and see if they can contact them. Maybe if you do some of the planning you might get a pair for helping and you would be taking care of your favorite cliff.

katydid

May 3, 2004, 7:15 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Z1/Z2 Chacos have Vibram soles, just like your higher-end handy-dandy hiking boots. I got my Z2's at REI using my 20% discount and dividend, and ended up paying 65 or 70 bucks for them (not sure exactly what they came to, as I bought other stuff at the same time).

The only issue I have with the Z2's are the toe loops. I find that if I'm hiking on more difficult terrain, they have a tendency to readjust themselves and strangle my poor big piggie. I'm still breaking mine in, though, and from what I understand this becomes less of a problem as the webbing stretches out.

k.

krestkid

May 3, 2004, 7:51 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a pair of Z2's and love them. I've hiked around Europe wit them last summer and still wear them everyday, also wore them on the beach in Jamaica. Cleaned my shoes in the washer yesterday and found it weird that there was sand in the straps from the beach last year! I think it's almost time for a re-sole...next time I think I'll go with the thicker hiking sole. Overall a great investment!

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook