not so secret
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

drunkenmaster

Aug 7, 2003, 6:18 AM
Post #1 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

not so secret  (North_America: United_States: California: Northern_California: Secrets)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey geek! What are you thinking putting SECRETS on the internet?
It doesn't matter if it's on the local website-no one goes on it anyway.
(and I don't think it should be on there either but it's not my website)

Don't we share enough areas on the coast with the public? WHY do you need to tell everyone about one of the last places to find solitude?
I guess it's partially my fault since I did most of the boulder problems there first and just had to tell all my buddies in town. But none of them put it on the internet or ever would -get it- it's called SECRETS! -dork.

I was there TODAY -how often do you even go there geek?!.

rogueclimber

Aug 7, 2003, 10:19 AM
Post #2 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Re: not so secret [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure I should even reply to such a venomous post this early in the morning but oh well,.... here it goes.....
Why are your ohhh so secretive boulder problems so proud that you've become so inflamed when they are publicized? Personally I'd be proud.
I know quite a few secret spots in So Cal and I share with everybody!
I think you must view yourself as an elitist. :D :twisted:

padwarmer

Aug 7, 2003, 6:38 PM
Post #3 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well considering I found out about the place on the Internet in the first place, and the website did not mention you owning the place! The website says it is known by surfers as “Secrets Cove”. Not, Chris does not want anyone to know about this place so it’s called “Secrets”. How am I expected to know you don’t want the place known? Besides the description I provided did not even describe how to get there!

You may be a good climber, but you are also an Ass! You might have tried to email me and let me know you would like to keep the traffic down and, could I remove my picture please. I won’t be removing anything after the hostile email I received from you.

caughtinside

Aug 7, 2003, 6:51 PM
Post #4 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A little hypocritical coming from a guidebook author.

Maybe the world doesn't want to wait to see what the wise one puts in his guide and what he leaves out. :evil:

PS--the vacaville section in Wine Country Rocks sucks.

drunkenmaster

Aug 7, 2003, 6:54 PM
Post #5 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i wasn't going to reply at all because i have way more important things to do like climb and find new areas and develop new climbs at those areas! but i think ill say one more thing about this-
i have found and developed so many areas on the coast (bouldering and crack and sport routes) and all over nor. cal. and turned people on to almost all of the places that are publicly accessible, just recently i added some info to this website about some of these areas. the guy who put secrets on the internet could have put the other three sandstone areas that are one mile from secrets and closer to the road on before he put secrets on. secrets is a large area with mostly sandy chosspiles-its hard to find the good rock amidst all the bad rock-one reason why its still called secrets even though its far away from the surfing spot originally called secrets. i don't think im an elitist but i don't care if you think i am! by putting secrets on this website for all to see hes not helping anyone find the place or let alone the boulder problems he didn't even give directions (thank god)! it would have helped people to have a good time though if he had added the other three areas right down the road which are just as good-easy to find, less hiking and the same V0-V7's.

the place is called secrets-get it!

padwarmer

Aug 7, 2003, 7:04 PM
Post #6 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I added Secrets for the same reason I added “Fort Ross” and “Super slab” because I wanted to post a picture I thought was cool. These are probably the areas you think I should have added first!

By the way go to www.google.com and search for climbing sonoma coast. Guess what is the first website that pops up! Next guess what climbing areas it describes! Don’t blame me for people knowing about this place.

rogueclimber

Aug 7, 2003, 8:09 PM
Post #7 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the link padwarmer! it seems drunkenmaster doesn't call secrets by its true name.
It's Called HORSESHOE POINT you A-Hole! Get It?!? :evil:

dsafanda

Aug 7, 2003, 8:28 PM
Post #8 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless drunkenmonkey owns the land it seems like he's got no business dictating who can or can't post photos of the area. If he was planning on publishing a guide to the area and wanted to keep the lid on things for just a while there would have been a nice way to make this known to padwarmer.

In any event, this post by drunkenmonkey has attracted much more attention to the spot than the photos would have. Now you've got my interest. Maybe friends and I will have to come check it out soon.

epic_ed

Aug 7, 2003, 8:28 PM
Post #9 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks for the link padwarmer! it seems drunkenmaster doesn't call secrets by its true name.
It's Called HORSESHOE POINT you A-Hole! Get It?!? :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, Chris, you are elitist even if you can't recognize it staring you in the face. I'm sure you've done a lot of route development and contributed to the climbing community by writing guide books and such, but what makes you think you have the right to decide who gets to develop the hard to find good stuff? If it's not private property, then it's up for grabs (other access issues aside). So you're not really concerned about people climbing on poor quality rock and having a bad experience. You're just being a selfish prick! The location is known, others besides yourself have been climbing there and if you don't want someone to snag all the sweet lines, you'd be better off shutting your pie-hole and getting your ass back out there to climb!

Ed

dsafanda

Aug 7, 2003, 8:35 PM
Post #10 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Ed,

I just found out about this bouldering spot up on the Sonoma coast. This guy drunkenmonkey has been spraying about it on RC.com. The next time you're in the bay Area we should check it out. Bring some friends. :wink:

caughtinside

Aug 7, 2003, 8:41 PM
Post #11 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just did the google search and saw climbingsonomacounty.com Looks like there's some pretty good stuff there. I'd climbed on Mt. St. Helena before, but not at table rock or a couple other spots.

Interesting, isn't it? Guidebook author Chris has 3 posts on this website, and 2 of them are telling people not to go to 'secret' areas.

The other place he doesn't want you to go is Natural Bridges of Hayfork, which I'm told has some killer rock, and lots of room for future development. It's on the routes database on this site.

Cheers.

epic_ed

Aug 7, 2003, 8:44 PM
Post #12 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool! I never would have heard about it if some numb-nuts hadn't complained about a photo posted of it on the internet.

BTW -- nice photos, Daniel. Those are some very nice shots. How does a fat bastard like you manage to get a couple of hotties like those to climb with you? :wink: Maybe I should take notes.

drunkenmaster

Aug 7, 2003, 9:42 PM
Post #13 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whoops! what a dumbass numb nuts i was huh? i guess ive been so busy doing first ascents at all these areas to realize how many people read this crap. my mistake-wont happen again.
next time ill email whoever pisses me off until i have something for you all to hear. i dont care what anyone thinks about me-obviously.
it was just a picture and padwarmer didn't give directions so-my bad!
by telling EVERYONE about EVERY rock in the world then your just killing the magic.-respect the locals and they will respect you.

cthcrockclimber

Aug 7, 2003, 9:54 PM
Post #14 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So why did you make this pissing match public? I hope this is a troll because this post is to pathetic to be real.

flynnypek

Aug 7, 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #15 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wanted to go there!!!! hahahahahaha... and now I know how to do it!!!! ...secret place...mmmm.... interesting place to go...

:lol:
:lol:

epic_ed

Aug 7, 2003, 10:24 PM
Post #16 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
whoops! what a dumbass numb nuts i was huh? i guess ive been so busy doing first ascents at all these areas to realize how many people read this crap. my mistake-wont happen again.
next time ill email whoever pisses me off until i have something for you all to hear. i dont care what anyone thinks about me-obviously.
it was just a picture and padwarmer didn't give directions so-my bad!
by telling EVERYONE about EVERY rock in the world then your just killing the magic.-respect the locals and they will respect you.

Funny. What you call "magic" most others call selfish. I don't know about you, but I find the greatest rewards in life come from giving back. Passing along that which has, at other times, been given so freely to me. So you have shared it with other "locals." Excellent. Just because you're local doesn't give you any greater entitlement to the area. Spread the love, feel the joy. Kummbiyah, m'Lord, Kummbiyah....

Ed

padwarmer

Aug 7, 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #17 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Cool! I never would have heard about it if some numb-nuts hadn't complained about a photo posted of it on the internet.

BTW -- nice photos, Daniel. Those are some very nice shots. How does a fat bastard like you manage to get a couple of hotties like those to climb with you? :wink: Maybe I should take notes.

Thanks for the complement about the photos. Matt and Rob are kind of hot aren't they, oh did you mean the girls?? I have a car and I pay for gas. Begging also helps!

moabbeth

Aug 8, 2003, 12:59 AM
Post #18 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So out of curiousity I tried going to the climbing sonoma coast website to check out the area in question....looks like a lot of us did the same!! Here's what I got when I tried to open it:

Daily Bandwidth Limit Reached

The site you have attempted to access is not available at this time.

This member's website has exceeded its maximum bandwidth limit for the day. The bandwidth limit will be reset on a daily basis.

This account is still active. High traffic sites with numerous file downloads a day could run the risk of exceeding this limit. The owner may increase their daily bandwidth limits by logging in to their account.

Please try to download this file at a later date.

shazinky

Mar 4, 2004, 6:56 PM
Post #19 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back in the day before I began climbing I surfed everyday and "secrets" was my favorite spot.I spent many glorious days out there by myself or with a couple of bro'sand it was great.The best wave around here.But then someone brought a townie friend and it was all over.The place had been "secrets" for a long time but now many call it "everybody's".
As far as the guy who mentioned the Natural Bridge you need to delve a little deeper into the "access issues" you brushed over.Access Fund web site has some info.
But this is how it stands right now. The place is being shut down not temporarily like the dorkster suggests but for ever.The access fund is actually donating money for the wintu tribe to install interpretive signs in the area and other improvements.
For more up to date info try contacting "Adventures Edge" in Arcata Paul and Eric have been the only people I know of dealing with the indians the forest service and the AF.
Where has the "Dorkster" been oh yeah he's been on here telling people to there there are no access issues

It's all fun and games until someone loses a crag :evil:

braon

Mar 4, 2004, 8:11 PM
Post #20 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pulled this off of here: http://www.climbingsonomacounty.homestead.com
In reply to:
Known by surfers as "Secrets Cove", the actual name for this area is Horshoe Point. Located approximately 25 miles north of Jenner at the north end of Salt Point State Park. Parking is available along Hwy 1 in several places. A network of trails and fireroads will take you to the shoreline in 5 to 10 min of flat walking. As you travel north on Hwy 1 you shift to the opposite side of the falt zone and leave behind the metamorphic schists and gneiss and find more sedimatary sandstone, pebbly sandstone, and sandy conglomerate. These ancient sea beds have been faulted into huge slabs, then wonderfully sculpted into honeycombs, pockets, cracks, and caves. This area takes the full force of a northwest swell, watch for sleeper waves and beware of ticks on the approach.
Now everyone can see it. Stop being such a baby, you a$$.

rockinice

Mar 4, 2004, 8:32 PM
Post #21 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

learn to swim

cadaverchris

Mar 4, 2004, 9:20 PM
Post #22 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i thought people on the West Coast were supposed to be laid back and chill.... this thread proves the stereotype wrong

shazinky

Mar 8, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #23 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My main reason for posting on this topic is that "caughtinside" decided to blab about the nat. bridge.So let me just make myself clear.
As one of the people involved with development at "secrets" I personally would love to see more people climbing there, it is in a state park and that mile plus stretch of beach holds close to 200 boulder problems representing all styles and levels of climbing "everybody" turn off your computer and go climbing and have fun.In fact e-mail me and I'll go out there with ya we can all have fun.
My only issue was with the guy blabbing about a place that really does have serious access issues.I was originally told to check this site out because it was full of spray about the bridge. :evil: :evil:
Now "Braon" I was never disrespectful to anyone on here who had not directly or indirectly disrespected us and the areas we developed,you want to call names and we can take this to the crag where you can put up or shut up.I have a feeling it will be the latter.
I hate to be so confrontational but it seems the common form of debate on this site.Just go climbing man. Instead of reading all this crap I'd much rather be reading about you actually going someplace and how rad it was.

Partner j_ung

Mar 8, 2004, 9:55 PM
Post #24 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Horshoe Point, eh?

*bump*

caughtinside

Mar 8, 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #25 of 40 (10588 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My main reason for posting on this topic is that "caughtinside" decided to blab about the nat. bridge.

Dude, you are an idiot. I mentioned the natural bridge here after seeing what your other persona, 'drunkenmaster' had posted on. YOU started the thread on the natural bridge. I didn't 'blab' about anything, I simply commented on your earlier blabbing.

You want to keep your areas secret? You are going about it the wrong way.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook