RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

jnc007bnk

Mar 5, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1904 views)
Shortcut

1st trip to wales, 1st trip off US soil
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a friend of a friend who owns a cottage in wales and they've offered to let me stay for 2 weeks free. Its in "Hay" to be precise, near the Wye river. I'm looking for information on climbing in that area. Things that can be done in day or day +. I'm an expirienced Traditional climber, but my girlfriend likes to do sport climber and boulder as well. In the states I can lead trad up to 5.9, sport 5.11 and boulder V4. So I'm really looking for a whole range of what the country has to offer. I'd like to do some beautiful picturesque multi-pitch routes if there avaiable. Something I can take picutes on and brag to people at home about LOL.

sisyphus

Mar 6, 2004, 11:07 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Re: 1st trip to wales, 1st trip off US soil [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the sea cliffs at Pembroke (in the South of Wales) and the more intimidating Gogarth (on Anglesey Island in the North) - Dream of White Horses is the classic climb at 5.9, but very exposesd and scary (but not dangerous), so make sure you've got a good head - the Gower coast is also good. There's masses of climbing in the Snowdonia area in the North, the Llanberis pass being particularly good - Cloggy and Dinas Cromlech are the classic crags - although the climbing in the pass is a bit more weather dependent than the sea cliffs. Tremadog is the friendly roadside crag that usually stays dry when everywhere else is pouring with rain. Slate is definitely an experience - just one that most of us would prefer to avoid - and there's not much in the lower grades. There's a fair bit of bouldering (though you're probably better off going to the peak disctrict), but not much sport climbing in Wales.

hema

Mar 6, 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try using UkClimbings route-database. Also if you have questions you can post them straight to UkClimbings forums.

PS. 5.9 equals roughly to either HVS or easy E1 (or even E2) on the Brittish grades.

schlong

Mar 8, 2004, 7:49 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've come to the right place! All depends on how far you are willing to travel. North Wales is definately an awesome place to go and you'd have plenty to do in such a short trip! However, if you gonna be staying in Hay then theres still a great choice, Wintour's Leap has routes up to 300ft, and theres loads of single pitch climbing elsewhere in the wye valley such as at symmonds yat. Go to www.multimap.co.uk and search for hay-on-wye, chepstow (wintour's leap) and monmouth (symmonds yat) to see where they are. best bet is to buy Climber club guide 'Wye valley'.

jnc007bnk

Mar 9, 2004, 2:43 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you from the area schlong???

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook