RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

kinkcrazy

Mar 5, 2004, 5:21 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

rescue and first aid courses
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am in tucson and interested in taking a formal course in rescue techniques, i.e. rigging, escaping belay, ascending, decending and wilderness first aid. Any suggestions would be great!

nnichols

Mar 5, 2004, 5:44 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Re: rescue and first aid courses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did a search for wilderness first aid courses on Google not too long ago and there are several organizations who offer this; however, if I remember correctly, most of them were in CO. Good luck.

dontjinxme

Mar 5, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took a familiarization course for the fire deparment on rope rescue courses. It was pretty cool. By no means am I able to set up a rescue. But, like I mentioned, it was a familirization course.
But to answer your question, check the internet for climbing clubs, or schools in your area. They probably have "need to know" information on that kind of stuff.

Jinx

climbin_moo

Mar 5, 2004, 6:34 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot of climbers I know have gotten a Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness EMT cert. Check out http://wmi.nols.edu

rocknmedic

Mar 5, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your two best bets for a good quality rescue school are "CMC Rescue" and "Rigging for Rescue", I have been through both plus some others and find them to be every bit worth the money. I would probably place CMC's above the rigging for rescue, because I like their curriculum style a little better. You can check out info at http://www.cmcrescue.com or http://www.riggingforrescue.com. The rigging for rescue has been sold to another individual, so I am not sure what their new courses are like. These are just rigging and rescue classes, without any medical. If you would look at soley a medical class the NOLS classes would be great (http://wmi.nols.edu).

cliffmonkey2003

Mar 5, 2004, 7:07 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbin_moo: "A lot of climbers I know have gotten a Wilderness First Responder or Wilderness EMT cert."

Wilderness First Responder is a great cert. to have, but you don't learn anything about roped rescues or really even search and rescue skills. I don't know about Wilderness EMT, but it is a much more in-depth course than WFR. Sorry, no information on technical rescue classes for ya, good luck.

sarcat

Mar 5, 2004, 7:53 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the Technical Rescue Rigger Guide by Rick Lipke. In his latest edition he suggests for schools the following:

Life Rescue, Everson WA
(360) 966-3827

Ropes That Rescue, Sedona AZ
(520) 282 7299

Rigging For Rescue, Invermere B.C.
(250) 342-6042

Gee I hope I didn't violate any copyright rules.. Naw it was printed in Canada.

climbin_moo

Mar 5, 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought the self-rescue falcon guide. Its pretty nice. In fact my university has a "High-Angle rescue" class which requires this book as reading.

rocknmedic

Mar 6, 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #9 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been invoved in fire department high angle rescue as well as technical mountain rescue for close to 8 years now. The best advice I could give is to find a good reputable class to take. It is really good to do some supplemental reading or self study, but nothing beats quality instruction to start out, especially since the load and systems found in rescue are completely different than are encountered in climbing.

Partner xclimber

Feb 10, 2005, 1:21 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know your message is a little old, and by now you may know about SARA (Southern Arizona Rescue Association). http://www.sarci.org/SARA.htm

Jerry

cthulu

Feb 11, 2005, 1:01 AM
Post #11 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

American Alpine Institute guides are some of the best out there and they run introduction and advanced high angle rescue techniques. Here is their website.
http://www.aai.cc

dirtineye

Feb 11, 2005, 1:22 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't tell you a thing about Arizona, but I can say that I took a Self and Leader Rescue Course taught by an AMGA guide, and it was well worth the effort.

Check out the AMGA page for guides near you who might offer a course.

The Fasulo book that someone already mentioned is good.

WFR cert is about 9 days, also worth it.

Partner xclimber

Feb 11, 2005, 1:31 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Call Jeff Fassett, he's the only currently registered AMGA guide in Tucson. I took his self-rescue course last year, and it was good. You can get his contact info at http://www.climbarizona.com/

If someone else represents themselves as being AMGA certified, be sure to inquire as to WHAT LEVEL of certification they have, and whether they are current...

Jerry

jimdavis

Feb 11, 2005, 7:18 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had a lot of formal training with a High Angle rescue team, and I've also taken a self rescue class with Mark Synnott.

Organized formal rescue training isn't worth much to recreational climbers. They are super picky about what they use, and it has to be THEIR way. They won't teach you how to apply it to your climbing, unless you understand the principles and do that for yourself.

Spend some time getting dialed on ascending a rope, rappelling, passing knots on both, ect. Haul systems are big too.
Then spend a day with a guide. Have them give you some scenarios, and learn to work through them. Once you understand the principles of rescues, and what the components are and what they do...you'll be able to improvise; which is super important.

IF you have your knots, friction hitches, ascending, and haul systems dialed...you can do most things. Those are all skills you need to be able to intigrate into a system to "rescue" someone.

Other than that, just get dailed on normal climbing systems.

As for medical training, I've done WFR through SOLO, and highly recommend it! WEMT is too much for most people, and you'll have to be a practicing EMT to keep the cert.

WFR is for guides, climbers, trip leaders ect. WEMT is for SAR. (for the most part)

Cheers,
Jim

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook