RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

girlclimb

Feb 2, 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #1 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Winter Bouldering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wahoooooo!!!!!!!! I just went bouldering for the first time in winter!!!!!!!! it was amazing. It has been like sub zero all week and it hit like 30 today so we headed out. IT WAS SO GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are some of your winter experiences bouldering.... I hear the friction is much better in the winter do you find that you do some of your best climbs in colder months??? well just want to here some of your winter experinces....
~peace

scubasnyder

Feb 2, 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #2 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Re: Winter Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont mind bouldering when its cold, but last time i went a lot of the boulders were covered in snow which sucked, But bouldering i the winter is great, cant wait till the snow melts here

muncher

Feb 2, 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #3 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We are pretty lucky over here in Australia. On a good day in winter you can climb in shorts and a T shirt. On a bad day you can still get out and climb without too much discomfort. I guess if anything we would call summer the off season here in the Blue Mountains as it does get a little warm and you have to chase the shade. That still leaves plenty of good climbing available but it can be difficult sending stuff at your limit due to the spooge factor. So for us over here, the cooler months are definitely where its at.

clmbng_addict

Feb 3, 2004, 1:17 AM
Post #4 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last time i went bouldering, about a week ago, it was around 15 degrees farenheit and the time before that, 4 degrees (i really don't like the gym). For me a sweatshirt over a t-shirt and a decent hat is usually warm enough so bulky clothing wasn't a problem, the way it might be if i used a coat. All my friends seem to think bouldering when it's that cold is crazy, but if they tried it they'd probably find it's actually not that bad once they get used to it. You just have to let your body adjust properly, i.e. keep warming your hands and feet before they get frostbite instead of trying to endure the pain until you can't use them anymore.

It's definitely interesting though, all the problems feel different somehow when it's that cold, probably because my focus is largely towards keeping warm, and because the texture of the rock under both fingers and feet doesn't feel the same as when it's warm. Anyone serious about bouldering who hasn't done it when it's real cold out might want to try it sometime, for me at least i found it changed my approach to certain problems, and i even found ways to pull a couple of the moves i couldn't get before.

boulderqt

Feb 3, 2004, 2:38 AM
Post #5 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe that you guys like bouldering in the cold. For me it is almost inpossible, i was born in CA for me 50* is too cold. i wind up wearing a coat to boulder in and it really makes things hard. :x but that is just me if you can stand the cold have fun and climb hard.

dsafanda

Feb 3, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #6 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was at the Happy Boulders yesterday. Perfect T-shirt weather.
The Buttermilks required a fleece top but again... perfect conditions.

girlclimb

Feb 3, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #7 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha i wish it was t shirt weather but up here in NH high 30's in winter is getting pretty close so i can't complain. Thanks for all the responses so far. I just can't stop thinking about ho nice it was climbing today with the snow all around and still having the warm sun hit my back!!!!!

In reply to:
dont mind bouldering when its cold, but last time i went a lot of the boulders were covered in snow which sucked, But bouldering i the winter is great, cant wait till the snow melts here

i was really suprised that most of the snow had melted off the rocks there were a couple problems we couldn't do but for the most part the rock was nice and dry

jonf

Feb 3, 2004, 3:51 AM
Post #8 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went bouldering in western Mass on sunday. It wasnt too cold..maybe high 20s, low 30s..as long as you stayed moving. But there was about 9"-1ft of snow, so I wasnt able to climb a lot, and I didnt bother trying to top anything out. It was more of a hiking and checking out new stuff day.

girlclimb, were you bouldering at P-tuck...how much snow was there?

girlclimb

Feb 3, 2004, 2:52 PM
Post #9 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

about a half a foot... however there were alot of problems you could climb alot! (you just had to down climb alot of them so you feet wouldn't get wet) The snow level really depended on if you were in the shade or the sun. Also there hasn't been any perciptation here for a while so the boulders were nice and dry. :D

dontfall

Feb 3, 2004, 3:11 PM
Post #10 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed in very cold tempatures but never when there was snow on the rock. I can't wait for the snow to melt. I'm getting sick of being couped up with not being able to climb.

leinosaur

Feb 3, 2004, 5:32 PM
Post #11 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What, Coldering?

girlclimb

Feb 3, 2004, 6:53 PM
Post #12 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What, Coldering?

haha

madmax

Feb 3, 2004, 8:48 PM
Post #13 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hueco, Hueco, Hueco.

sentbyme

Feb 7, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #14 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just be thankful that you guys dont live in IOWA

girlclimb

Feb 7, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #15 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no boulders in iowa eh?

treebeard

Feb 7, 2004, 6:24 PM
Post #16 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here in Boise its finally starting to warm up, the only problem is it keeps snowings so the conditions can get pretty wet. However, I'm lucky enough that almost all the boulder problems at the local climbing area stay dry for some reason.

daggerx

Feb 7, 2004, 8:59 PM
Post #17 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I love bouldering in the winter but this year I moved out to leadville colorado the highest city in the usa. It's usally well below zero and a lot of snow. When I go I actuall have to dig out a spot of boulder, but I still go everyweek at least 4+days a week.

DX

grinspoon

Feb 9, 2004, 2:02 AM
Post #18 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was skeptical about winter bouldering, but I went today and it was awesome. It was around 20F, great friction. The only thing that sucked was no top outs, the tops of the boulders were covered with snow and ice.

scubasnyder

Feb 9, 2004, 2:07 AM
Post #19 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyone go to haycock mtn. PA in the past week wondering if everything is cleared off, last time i was there, there was snow on all the boulders, pm me if you were there recently

alpinerock

Feb 9, 2004, 3:28 AM
Post #20 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tried going up AF yesterday to finish off some first ascents, it didn't work out too well, the snow was so deep we had to snow shoe up to the boulders, plus the problems we were working are all slab, i might have gotten the FA... If i had brought my crampons and Ice axes... :evil:

walllizzard

Mar 7, 2004, 10:04 AM
Post #21 of 21 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heck 20 thats warm! me and a bouldering partner went out back in january, it was 18'F, just a wee bit cold. it actually was too cold, friction for the hands was great, however the rubber on our shoes became so stiff and non-sticky it was like climbing on glass slippers. the best days of climbgin ive had are when its around 40-60'F, this is the best time to climb, cold enough for great finger friction, warm enough for your shoes to stick and warm enough not to freeze ur bumm off. By the way Mt Gretna looks great some of teh cracks and overhangs are a little wet, some much needed cleaning needs done but otehr wise had a great time the other day actually this past monday.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook