RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

munchkin

Mar 11, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #1 of 3 (488 views)
Shortcut

gear
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can anyone tell me how they take photos from the rock on a mutipitch climb? Do you use aiders? Do you use the frog technique? Do you use static ropes, if so how menny? Do you climb the route befor? how menny lenses do you take? You know stuff like that.

Thanks and be safe.

omenbringer

Mar 11, 2004, 8:27 PM
Post #2 of 3 (488 views)
Shortcut

Re: gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the book "Climbing Photography" I got it at REI and it explains everything your asking about pretty well.

andypro

Mar 11, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #3 of 3 (488 views)
Shortcut

Re: gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting the book would probably be better than listening to me, but I'll try to relate some of my experiences.

First and foremost, if your gonna be photographing, dont plan on climbing. It's jsut as much, if not more work and time consuming to get the shot than it is to do the climb.

If you can fix from the top, then hang a few ropes down and jug along side. Make sure you know where the route goes, and try not to get your own stuff int he way of the climbers stuff.

I've seen pro photographers use aluminum poles to get themselves away form the rock for different/better angles. The're a pita (for me anyways..and I'm not a pro anywhoo) and Iv'e found that collapsable trecking poles can work pretty well. Clip them to your gear loops (if they're strong enough) or the belay loop (having them on your sides ads stability). This will push you back off the wall so your not jsut looking sideways all the time. They're nice and lgiht too, and can be collapsed and tucked away when not in use.

Use a chest harness. If not for the jugging, jsut to help keep you stable. Clip it to the rope with a locker, that way if you wanna swing yourself out you can just unclip fromt he rope and go (the chest harness, not the sit harness! )

Jug as you please. Whatever is easier for you. Youll probably be doing alot of it. I like to use a gri gri on my waist, and anyhting you like for the feet. This way you can nice and easy go up and down as needed.

I usually only take two lenses, a prime lense (50mm) and a 35-80 zoom. I dont have a wide angle, but I read alot on here that people love them, and they can take great shots. May want to add that in there. Keep your lenses in a belt pouch that you can twist around so ti's in back and out of the way, or in front so as to facilitate easy change overs without dropping anyhting.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook