RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

ponyryan

Apr 3, 2002, 12:47 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Where's the protein?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've noticed that whenever someone questions about muscle strength or fatigue, that nobody mentions the value of protein your diet. A good diet will help your muscles build and recover much much faster than a poor diet. Is this something ignored by most of the climbing community or am I way off base? I think more people should try it out, it does help.

[ This Message was edited by: ponyryan on 2002-04-02 17:15 ]

clam

Apr 3, 2002, 12:56 AM
Post #2 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Where's the protein? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've read that after a solid workout or day of climbing 1 gram of carbohydrates and 1/4 gram of protein per pound of body weight in the 20 to 60 minutes after you stop helps recovery. For a 180 pounder that means 180 grams of carbs and 45 grams of protein in the 20 to 60 minutes after you stop. Then a couple of hours later a good meal with plenty of carbs.

[ This Message was edited by: clam on 2002-04-02 16:57 ]

miagi

Apr 3, 2002, 1:33 AM
Post #3 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yup, both of you are right. I dont take all the fancy drinks that taste like thick sand though . For me to get my protein i eat either fish or steak. Those are both high in protein. My carbs i get from protein drinks...that taste good at least

lostangel

Apr 3, 2002, 1:53 AM
Post #4 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My after workout snake is usally apples with peanut butter, which will give both carbs and protien, or I have apples and amino acid vitamins if I am running short on time. (-: becaue I am female and want to keep lookin like a female, (not one of those body builder chicks either) I try to avoid breads, pastas ect because of the carbs, but for guys that would be great! EX Peanut butter sandwitch!!

apollodorus

Apr 3, 2002, 1:53 AM
Post #5 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know this guy who goes to the gym about 7 days a week, and "lifts". Here's his diet: whey protein strawberry powder stuff in the blender (about 250 g) twice a day; creatine monohydrate at the same times; 2 pounds of very rare/raw steak daily; various vitamin pills.

He is so aggressively aggravated and enervated at the world at large, he may also be jabbing himself with hypos full of anabolic steroids, human growth hormone, fake testosterone, or ?????

All I know is that he can keep going to gym everyday, for severe workouts.

lostangel

Apr 3, 2002, 2:24 AM
Post #6 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best way to eat is 6 small meals a day, but it all depends on what type of workout or body building you are looking for.... the times that he eats his meals probably go something like this 7am 10am 12pm 3pm 7pm and 9pm. The meals getting smaller as the day moves onward. To climb with a builders body I think would be to bulky though.

inflight

Apr 3, 2002, 2:38 AM
Post #7 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use to eat supplements but once met my friend, who is a personal trainer, who did not use any supplements, I stopped and went natural. I did an trained and did a 55 hour adventure race all-natural.

I have found that eating balanced, whole, and regularly is the key. Select protien sources low in fat like egg whites, white tuna, lean red meats if you must etc.

Select carbohydrates based on the glycemic index so as not to imbalance your blood sugar levels before an activity.

Always eat protien and carbsohydrates together to allow for proper metabloizing.

A sample of my training diet looks like this:
breakfast: 3 cooked eggwhites, 1-2 cups oatmeal
snack: apple, slice of bread
lunch: tuna, potatoes, brocolli
snack: fruit
dinner: rice, chicken breast, corn

saxonz

Apr 4, 2002, 12:35 AM
Post #8 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No one mentions OXYGEN or the fact that soduim-bicarbonate is a lactic acid buffer and carries CO2 away from your muscles and back to your lungs so you can get rid of it.

jt512

Apr 4, 2002, 1:25 AM
Post #9 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:xgretax: ...but when eating for maximum energy I either feel totally bulky and bogged down or I feel super good until about my third redpoint burn.

Greta, what are you eating "for maximum energy"?

-Jay

climbchick

Apr 4, 2002, 1:49 AM
Post #10 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I read that sodium bicarbonate often causes mild to severe gastric distress. Supposedly, calcium carbonate works nearly as well without the side effects (plus you get all that calcium). I'm going to try it this weekend.

inflight

Apr 4, 2002, 4:19 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In response to xgretax,

Good questions. Speaking from experimental experience here's what I have to share:

What foods have I noticed help my endurance?
I eat a balanced diet and train specifically for endurance. It's not one food but a pattern of diet and training over a long period of time. My balanced diet contains the same foods with a little variety to mix it up. As you train for endurance, theoretically, muscles increase their ability to store glycogen(carbs). The more your muscles store this, the more endurance they have.

For carbohydrates, I eat oatmeal, breads, pastas, broccoli, carrots, rice.
For protien, I eat egg whites, white tuna, chicken, salmon, alomd butter(at the crag). If I
am hungry about an hour before a climb, I eat an almondbutter and jelly sandwhich and an orange or apple. Cliff bars are good for me as well.

When training for endurance, I do two types. Full body circuts, and climbing specific exercises like sprints on a wall, pullups, reverse curls, etc. I usually go for volume over intensity in these exercises.

What do I eat for maximum energy ?
The only real booster I have found is caffine. When I need an immediate boost in times of dire fatigue like running down a a 7 mile mountain trail, I eat chocolate. It's a simple sugar that enters the bloodstream in less than thiry minutes providing a quick energy boost.

Hope that helps.

christianbennet

Apr 4, 2002, 4:30 PM
Post #12 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always go for tuna for protien, it's way easy to pack pack, and it doesn't take up much room in your pack.

dupree

Apr 4, 2002, 5:08 PM
Post #13 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In response to the glycemic index question, here's a pretty good list of the glycemic indexes of some foods: http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

When I was racing bikes I used to pay a lot of attention to eating for endurance and found a few things that really worked:
* eat most of your high glycemic index foods earlier in the day.
* after a hard workout, try eating carbs and protein in a 4:1 ratio. I found that Endurox R4 was the best for me, because often after a hard workout I don't have the appetite to cram down lots of real food. It's easy to mix a bottle of Endurox before you workout so it's ready afterward.
* Muesli : the ultimate breakfast food.

hendicrimpin

Apr 4, 2002, 5:23 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

to answer the original post - you really don't need large amounts of protein in your diet to build muscle. The average person requires 0.8 to 1.0 grams of protein-per-kiologram of body mass. A person on a muscle strength schedule really shouldn't excede 1.2 grams/kg. Why you ask? Isn't more always associated with better results? NO, because any extra protein can't be processed in your liver...so you just pee it out! The best results come from (like already discussed) an extra chicken breast during the day, or peanut butter an apples, a couple extra glasses of milk, etc. climb on!

bulldog

Apr 4, 2002, 5:41 PM
Post #15 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I eat food.
The good tasting kind.
A little bit of each kind.
It works.

Bulldog ( no kibbles n bits for me)

redzit

Apr 5, 2002, 5:13 AM
Post #16 of 16 (4358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey inflight. you say that you take cafine for max energy. well i know for a fact that that is not possible. it has to be that sugers you take with it that give you the evergy boost. true caffine is a stimulent. but it accualy delays the effects of adrenolin and increeses endurence. it does this so well that the IOC has put a limit on the amount of Caffine that an athlete can have in his body during compatition. it is about five cups of coffie worth.
Caffine, does the following....
increases endurance,
Opens up Air ways in Lungs, (HUGE help to Asmatics)
increases effects of pain killer. (not relavent)
Stimulates Nurve system. makes you more aware of all feeling, including pain, this side effect is also the cause of gitters. it also increases you reflex ability.

Down side
it depletes bone density, i recomend drinking one L of milk for 1L of Coke or .5L of coffie.

Caffie levels
colas: 50-80 ppm (Parts per Million)
coffie; 100-150 ppm
Tea: No caffine, only dopephine. 175-250 ppm
(unknow side affect though, simular effects on nurvs.)
chocolate: depends on colour(color) i recommend German made Dark chocolate, 78-80%.
can ranger from 20-75 ppm (correct me on this one if you know more exact figures, my memory of chocolate is fading.)

best of luck to you dudes and dudettes.
PS stay away from needles and pills.
pps.. Caffine increases urin production, this makes it perfect for prancs on those multy pitch big wall climbs so long as your not the second.

[ This Message was edited by: redzit on 2002-04-04 21:18 ]

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook