RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

daggerx

Mar 19, 2002, 2:15 AM
Post #1 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Best ab work out?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What's the best ab workout? situps? Leg ups? WHATTTT IS IT????

Thanks

traddad

Mar 19, 2002, 2:29 AM
Post #2 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Best ab work out? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes.
By that I mean that they are all good. If you just want six pack abs, the first thing you'll have to do is do some gene splicing. If you already have good genes, and want strong climbing abs, then do a LOT of different exercises. I am interested in doing an overganging offwidth sometime soon so I do:
1. Rollouts on a gym ball, kinda like an ab roller
2. Crunchs
3. Inclined sit ups with 25 lbs on my chest.
4. Leg raises in the roman chair with 20 lbs on my feet.
5. Ab pull downs using the triceps machine
6. twists on whatever that machine is called.
The secret is to try to get all the muscles, through the entire range of motion.
I do these three times a week, several sets of each. I have been doing it for a while and I still don't have a six pack. Of course I'm 45 and I like beer....
Traddad

miagi

Mar 19, 2002, 2:41 AM
Post #3 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A good way to get your abs is to eat right too. You might have really defined and awesome abs but there will always be a layer of fat over them which causes them not to show. Eat right, maybe a diet, and a good workout provided above. You should start seeing them after that. Remember, it takes awhile. Also not mentioned. Lay on your back and do a regular crunch but lift your legs up at the same time and touch your elbows to your knees

qacwac

Mar 19, 2002, 4:55 AM
Post #4 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As said above variety is important but one that I think works great and should be a part of your workout is jack knives. They're kind of advanced so and out of shape person might not be able to do them.

To perform lie flat on your back, arms stretched out on the ground above your head. Simultaneously raise your arms and legs, keeping all four straight, crunching at your abs. Continue up and bringing your arms in front of you over your head until you touch your toes. If you want to start huring very quickly hold that position for a second or two. Now lower back down, but don't let your feet rest back on the ground. Vary the number of sets and reps so that you don't get stagnant.

sonofspork

Mar 19, 2002, 5:22 AM
Post #5 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Crunches and upper abdominal exercizes are not necessary for climbing. Train your obliques and your lower abs. Do leg lifts and do them slllooooowwwwwwwww.

-sONofSpORk

addiroids

Mar 19, 2002, 6:45 AM
Post #6 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb a squeeze chimney (20" - 30" wide).

Remember that all training should come from climbing (and drinking).

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

alvchen

Mar 19, 2002, 6:53 AM
Post #7 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Going on the same topic, what are the best exercises to get rid of a gut??

dontneedfeet

Mar 19, 2002, 7:14 AM
Post #8 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Writing the calorie content - honestly - of everything you eat. About 3500 calories equals one pound, and you realize pretty quickly how much crap you eat.
A really easy way to lose any gut? If you drink much pop, decrease or stop altogether. 3 or 4 cans a day times 150 calories times 7 days in a week is about a pound. Easy thing to do...
Last thing - exercise. Run, swim, cycle, whatever, doesn't matter. I do a LOT of cycling, so that keeps my weight in check year round.

miagi

Mar 19, 2002, 7:27 PM
Post #9 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You cannot target train weight loss. You can target train your ab muscles and get them as strong as you want, but if you want to lose the fat over it, your going to have to lose weight thats distrubted over your body...thats the way the body works.

Go on a good diet or vitamin/low calorie meal plan. Then you do AEROBIC WORKOUT This is running, swimming, anything that requires indurance. This will burn off calories and you will lose weight

rockjunky

Mar 24, 2002, 3:48 AM
Post #10 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ripped six packs are mainly Genetic. The main thing is to try to focus on targeting 5 areas. The lower abdominals are usually hard to develop but leg toss is a good exercise. The mid abs which can be targeted with most market ab machines. Upper abs are achieved with crunches, just don't torque your neck. Then work you obliques with your knees to the side while doing crunches, or using a medicine ball while moving side to side in a crunch position. Besides exercise diet is about the only way to get ripped abs. In my prime I was between 3-4 percent body fat and because of genetics never really had a killer six pack.
Just keep eating healthy and working out and enjoy life.
Rock On
rockjunky

lostangel

Mar 24, 2002, 9:27 PM
Post #11 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

eat healthy, avoid saturated fats! is one part...
Next some effective teqniques are:

1.)Lower abs
a.)Thrusts : Lay on your back, place your hands and arms by your sides, put your leggs in the air keep them perpendicular with the floor, have you kness slighty bent, now press upward lifting your butt slightly off the floor, and strightening the slight bend that you had in your knees, do not use your hands to help thrust you leggs up, take your time, and dont use gravity

2.) (Rectus abdomins obligues,erector spinae)
a.) Lie facedown on the floor, place your elbows underneath your sholders then elevate your body, supporting yourself on your forearms and toes. Maintain poistion, keeping your ears sholders hips and ankles in a straight line for 10 seconds. now to work your sides twist your midsection to your right side hold for 10 sec, then center, and left side 10sec. ** COntrast your your abs and breath regularly as you hold each position** Now you can flib over to your back and raise your straight body off the floor resting on your forearms and heels for another 10 sexonds, keep the body in line, if you feel any strain, DECREASE THE TIME you spend on your lift, or simply do not do this routine.

3.) Your crunches, upper ab.
A.) crunches are good, but if you wish to make them more intence.. put one of your arms straight up, and the other arm cradel your head holding onto your other arm.. in the arm that you have directly above your head you can also hold a 3-5 lb weight if desired..
B.) When doing regular crunches make sure your hands are over your ears and not laced! keep your chin up as if there was a tennis ball under your chin,, this is IMPORTANT, doing set ups incorrectly can strain your neck or back, plus they will not have any effect so you waisted your time. TAKE YOUR TIME and keep your form, I can't emphasize that enough.
C.) also with crunches you can try alternating lifting legs when you crunch this is VERY good for your obliqes.

4.) PULSE!
A.) Keep a routine, when you do any of your set ups or anything for that matter, and example, after you do 8 crunchs, do 8 more of the same thing BUT stay up for two seconds, and down for two, then when you are done with that, PULSE which is basically, when you go up on your last crunch stay up, and press your muscles togther, do it 8 times. This is very effective!!!

If you do not understand any of the routines that I have attempeted to describe to you, with the best of my ability DO NOT DO THEM, if you are looking for somthing else in a work out let me know. The things I have just given you are concidered to be intence, I also suggest that you goto you local library and get a tape such as "Abs Of Steel" you can learn some vital techniqes from these vidios

You should alternate the days you do your work out, doing it every other day or 4-5 days a week is really good, dont do it everyday or you will overwork your abs, or possably pull something, which sux cause then you will feel it when you climb.

MAKE SURE YOU WARM UP AND COOL DOWN sometimes this is even more important than the work out.

I also need to ad that you should try some cardio, its the only way you are really gonna burn fat to get the abs of your dreams., if you do do cardio it should be 20-45min

I hope this helps (-:

saxonz

Apr 4, 2002, 12:43 AM
Post #12 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Navasana, look it up in a Yoga book, it's an absolute killer. A torturous ab workout like no other

radistrad

Apr 4, 2002, 12:55 AM
Post #13 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leg lifts, situps/crunches.
You could join the Marines http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=8465&forum=23&33, your bound to get strong there.

bodyresults

Apr 4, 2002, 2:09 AM
Post #14 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you will find that ab (core) exercises done standing up will help you more in your climbing.

For example an alternating dumbbell side deadlift hits the core hard. You simply stand on one side of a fairly heavy DB pick it up with the hand on that side and set it down on the other side of your body. Then switch hands and move it back. Repeat

Another great one is standing ab cable pulldowns. Go to a lat machine, stand behind the seat, grab the bar with and reverse grip behind your head and bend over with a small knee bend.

There are lot more core exercises on my website www.bodyresults.com

lostangel

Apr 4, 2002, 3:01 AM
Post #15 of 15 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with body results!

There are so many things you can do to work your abs... curls.. thrusts.. Ben & Jerrys.. OOps wishful thinking!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook