Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Why was the masturbation in a whorehouse title changed?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Partner j_ung

Mar 19, 2004, 6:03 PM
Post #26 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why was the masturbation in a whorehouse title changed? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
drkodos' thread title is a long-standing gunks saying that I also remember from way back. Quite literally, a piece of climbing history has been edited.

OMFG! Are you an ACLU rep or what. Actually, you should think about practicing law.

I ain't smart enough to try. Or maybe I'm too smart to try. I dunno. I could wear a jet pack and every lawyer I know can still talk rings around me. :wink:

epic_ed

Mar 19, 2004, 6:05 PM
Post #27 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
3) If you think anyone here cares about your or my objections to this action, you are delusional.

Curt

Especially yours. :shock:

I'm probably stepping in the bucket by even posting to this thread, but FWIW -- it was done primarily because we are trying to be consistent. Titles of other threads have been changed for less controversial words. While I entirely agree that it's prudish, that's the decision that was collectively made. I hate being PC as much (if not more) than anybody, but that's the direction this site has always gone. I do find it entirely consistent with what we have done in the past.

That's all I'm going to say about it -- I swear this will be my only post to this thread. I'm sure the questioning, debating, and pleading with clear logic will ensure, but I'll defer further comment.

Ed

george

Mar 19, 2004, 6:06 PM
Post #28 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that there is nothing wrong with the title being changed. While the words “whorehouse” and “masturbation” are indeed present in the dictionary, that doesn’t make it okay to use them for an off-color play on words on a site that is viewed by youngsters. The words “grandmother” and “sex” are also in the dictionary, but you probably wouldn’t want to see a post entitled “I enjoy having sex with your dead grandmother”.

Also, I think that people just love to complain (i.e. bleeding heart liberals). I doubt that very many people who have complained about this actually give a spit about drkodos being censored. They just want to complain, so they are quick to jump on the “first amendment bandwagon”. I’m sure that when drkodos chose the title for his original post he expected to stir some level of controversy. I suspect that he knew exactly what he was doing. Don’t you think that he is a big boy and can take it? It doesn’t have to always be a constitutional issue…sometimes things are just plain inappropriate. Besides, how badly are your first amendment rights violated because some controversy-loving old fart is prohibited from using off-color words on a site visited by youngsters? There are bigger battles to fight, you know.

diesel___smoke

Mar 19, 2004, 6:11 PM
Post #29 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The purpose of this site isn't for anything other than masturbating the ego of it's owners.

drkodos

Mar 19, 2004, 6:18 PM
Post #30 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think that there is nothing wrong with the title being changed. While the words “whorehouse” and “masturbation” are indeed present in the dictionary, that doesn’t make it okay to use them for an off-color play on words on a site that is viewed by youngsters. The words “grandmother” and “sex” are also in the dictionary, but you probably wouldn’t want to see a post entitled “I enjoy having sex with your dead grandmother”.

Also, I think that people just love to complain (i.e. bleeding heart liberals). I doubt that very many people who have complained about this actually give a spit about drkodos being censored. They just want to complain, so they are quick to jump on the “first amendment bandwagon”. I’m sure that when drkodos chose the title for his original post he expected to stir some level of controversy. I suspect that he knew exactly what he was doing. Don’t you think that he is a big boy and can take it? It doesn’t have to always be a constitutional issue…sometimes things are just plain inappropriate. Besides, how badly are your first amendment rights violated because some controversy-loving old fart is prohibited from using off-color words on a site visited by youngsters? There are bigger battles to fight, you know.

Problem is dude, there is a climb named Sexy Grandma at J Tree. How do you propese we talk about it if we cannot say it's name?

You know, my name is Richard. Friends call me Dick.

We even had a President named Dick. Should we not use his name and erase it from the history books?

Your position is absurd, obtuse, myopic, and puritanical.

No one needs to be sheltered from words.

If you think people need protection form words, then you and your ilk are a detriment to intellectual thought and creative thinking.

ctclimbz

Mar 19, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #31 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="epic_ed]I'm probably stepping in the bucket by even posting to this thread, but FWIW -- it was done primarily because we are trying to be consistent. Titles of other threads have been changed for less controversial words. While I entirely agree that it's prudish, that's the decision that was collectively made.
That makes sense, and is logical from the moderator point of view. I'm not trying to overly stir the pot either, but following that logic doesn't that mean that the title of THIS string will have to be changed also??

drkodos

Mar 19, 2004, 6:21 PM
Post #32 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course, but they aren't fast enough in the grey matter.

It is clear and obvious that the title change was precipitated becuase of other reasons, and is being "couched" in this official reason.

yanqui

Mar 19, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #33 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually the title was kind of cute and catchy, and certainly an attention getter. Although I was not personally aware of the Gunks connection

The thing that got my guile (and which, I guess, didn't have so much to do with the original posting) was that yesterday, for first time since I joined here, I started reading through some of bouldering threads. And everybody's talking about masturbating and circle jerks and crap like that, and to me this all seems kind of idiotic and adolescent (although there were also some funny and/or insightful postings as well). And I'm trying my best not to get too pissed off and thinking: my god, is this the best we can do when comes to discussing bouldering? Hence my posting in the 'Masturbation in a Whorehouse' thread. Anyways, I have to admit that today I actually had a hard time finding the thread, being as the title had been changed to something ridiculously banal. Which does kind of seem like a conservative conspiracy to suppress our rights, or something like that. Could it have anything to do with the Patriot Act?

diesel___smoke

Mar 19, 2004, 6:31 PM
Post #34 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I received at least 8 PMs to change the title of my 'Asses' thread. They too were all hilarious and moronic in logic, and several didn't even cite a reason. Which is partly why I am sure the mods/admins are held to high standards of stupidity by the owners.

Partner j_ung

Mar 19, 2004, 6:33 PM
Post #35 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Could it have anything to do with the Patriot Act?

:lol: These days, everything has something to do with the Patriot Act!

george

Mar 19, 2004, 6:45 PM
Post #36 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Problem is dude, there is a climb named Sexy Grandma at J Tree. How do you propese we talk about it if we cannot say it's name?

We even had a President named Dick. Should we not use his name and erase it from the history books?

If you think people need protection form words, then you and your ilk are a detriment to intellectual thought and creative thinking.
You’re actually missing my point. I feel that if you were going to talk about a climb named Sexy Grandma then of course it would be ridiculous to censor you. But, on the other hand, if you were going to discuss having sex with my grandmother, then let the censoring begin! No, I don’t feel that anybody needs to be sheltered from your actual words; they just need to be sheltered from the concepts that your words represent (that is, if your particular words happen to represent inappropriate concepts for youngsters).

And as far as me being "a detriment to intellectual thought and creative thinking" - I think that's being a bit too dramatic, doctor.

curt

Mar 19, 2004, 7:03 PM
Post #37 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

You’re actually missing my point. I feel that if you were going to talk about a climb named Sexy Grandma then of course it would be ridiculous to censor you. But, on the other hand, if you were going to discuss having sex with my grandmother, then let the censoring begin!

Well, see--that's just the point here. The thread was NOT about actually going into a whorehouse and masturbating. Those words are a fairly well known climbing metaphor that means to go to a given climbing area and then engage in some type of climbing activity there that the area is not best known for.

Curt

sharpender

Mar 19, 2004, 7:05 PM
Post #38 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fryinbacon:
In reply to:
I encourage everyone else to pursue their freedom of speech and say "hey, this is pathetic."
we shouldn't have to walk on eggshells.
Everyone has been insulted in some way or another, grow up and let it roll off your back - and anyone that was insulted by that HISTORICAL QUOTE needs to get off their high horse and spend some time in the real world.
PEACE

Hear Hear. Second that.

sharpender

Mar 19, 2004, 7:16 PM
Post #39 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
In reply to:
With respect to fryingbacon, and all who aren't happy about the changing of the thread title (which includes me), this has nothing to do with your first amendment rights. If RC.com were a government-run institution, publicly-funded or if you were required by law to participate, then you would have a legitimate beef in the regard. Nobody's rights have in anyway been violated.

I wish I could remember the source but there is a published work that has an employee describing how as soon as he walks through the gates of his employers property his rights are removed. I beg to differ, although I agree that in practice it is the reality of the coorporate/political oligarchy in which we toil. The framers of our constitution struggled mightly to create a document based on the concept of "right"s as inalienable states that exist in the being of a man (human) by nature of that man's existence before his god. By definition then they would not cease at the door of "private" space. If so an employer could silence the imortant voice of disent to tyrannical abuse of government. Live free or die.

Partner tim

Mar 19, 2004, 7:24 PM
Post #40 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I received at least 8 PMs to change the title of my 'Asses' thread. They too were all hilarious and moronic in logic, and several didn't even cite a reason. Which is partly why I am sure the mods/admins are held to high standards of stupidity by the owners.

Note that this poster has often wondered out loud why mods tend to pick on him.

I, too, find it an utter mystery why people he cannot respect, do not respect him.

Changing the title was (IMHO) a bad move. But I'm not going to override a mod who thought they were making the right decision (financially and ethically). If they change their mind upon further review, I personally would agree with them, but I'm not in charge of the forums nor do I feel like this is a particularly pernicious issue.

Freedom of the press is delegated to those who own one.

Partner tim

Mar 19, 2004, 7:25 PM
Post #41 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Live free or die.

How many of you Internet Superheros live this way?

You'd have moved to Canada or started a bloody revolution if you did.

jt512

Mar 19, 2004, 7:26 PM
Post #42 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I, too, find it an utter mystery why people he cannot respect, do not respect him.

Changing the title was (IMHO) a bad move. But I'm not going to override a mod who thought they were making the right decision (financially and ethically).

Finally, someone publicly admits that censorship on this site is done to maximize income.

-Jay

sharpender

Mar 19, 2004, 7:27 PM
Post #43 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tim:

wtfdyk

Partner tim

Mar 19, 2004, 7:30 PM
Post #44 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Changing the title was (IMHO) a bad move. But I'm not going to override a mod who thought they were making the right decision (financially and ethically).

Finally, someone publicly admits that censorship on this site is done to maximize income.

-Jay

Did anyone ever deny it? It's right there in the terms of service.
Someone's gotta pay the bills, and 10,000 visitors (over a million hits) per day ain't free.

This is precisely why I pointed out who the 'freedom of the press' applies to.
But I still think it was a bad idea to change the title, since the original probably got more ad impressions.

/ducks

ps. Note that driving away users is *also* not in the site's best interest.

ctclimbz

Mar 19, 2004, 7:32 PM
Post #45 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

You’re actually missing my point. I feel that if you were going to talk about a climb named Sexy Grandma then of course it would be ridiculous to censor you. But, on the other hand, if you were going to discuss having sex with my grandmother, then let the censoring begin!

Well, see--that's just the point here. The thread was NOT about actually going into a whorehouse and masturbating. Those words are a fairly well known climbing metaphor that means to go to a given climbing area and then engage in some type of climbing activity there that the area is not best known for. Curt

I agree with Curt on this one. And again, if the words themselves are so horrible, why hasn't the name of this thread been changed?

diesel___smoke

Mar 19, 2004, 7:39 PM
Post #46 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has there ever been any study on this site to see if moderation actually increases or decreases traffic and/or profits?

anfbymyrock

Mar 19, 2004, 7:44 PM
Post #47 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why change the title? Essentially, no one is FORCED to read anything.

The title is not that obtrusive...how hard is it to skim over? It takes up about 1/1000 of the computer screen -- not exactly IN YOUR FACE --

:roll: People are too easily offended.

veilneb

Mar 19, 2004, 7:51 PM
Post #48 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CHANGE IT BACK!

And I say F the Patriot Act!
Reminds me of the same crap that was being pulled when I was living in Eastern Europe under Communism. (Oh crap, I just said "crap". Is THAT a legal word to use?

Before you flame me, I just want to remind you that the word 'crap' pays homage to the inventer of the modern flushing toilet, John Crapper.

-V

traddad

Mar 19, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #49 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of the coolest routes on Granite Mountain is Magnolia Thunderpu$$y, which gets changed to some gawdawful name that I cant remember. It's the name of a damn resturaunt, for heaven's sake.

Pussy willow
Pussy cat

See....what did I tell you?

Hrumph!

edge

Mar 19, 2004, 8:07 PM
Post #50 of 124 (7142 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What if it was titled "Pleasuring yourself in a house of ill repute"? Would that be equally objectionable? The meaning is the same.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook