Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Question: Rappelling Comando, Ausie, ect.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

climbingpride

Mar 22, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #1 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

Question: Rappelling Comando, Ausie, ect.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You know what I mean, rappelling face down. It seems like everyone i talk to about this have their own name for it too, so call it whatever you want.

Anyways, i did this a few times a long time ago in an old REI diaper harness, nicknamed seatbelt. I think alot of you might understand why. Anyways what I did then was put it on backwards, hook in, and it felt ok leaning over so i went for it. Now i have much better harnesses, and it seems to be a lot more complicated if it should even be done at all. My Petzl Calidris has to fat of a back to just clip a locking back there. And even if you did it would just slide around and jack up the drop down elastic legloop straps. Then if you were to put it on backwards i think that it would not fit quit like a diaper would.

So. I come to all of you out there. How do you set up to go jumping off some cliff head first? Or should it not be done with any of the leg loop harnesses?

jakedatc

Mar 22, 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #2 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

Re: Question: Rappelling Comando, Ausie, ect. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

:shock: Clearly.. you have NO CLUE what you are doing... So do not try to rappel this way... period. It is too complicated to be explained online or even in a book.

please read... all of it..
http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54450&postdays=0&postorder=asc&topic_view=&start=0

yikes...

bsignorelli

Mar 22, 2004, 1:34 AM
Post #3 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't be stupid.

There is no need to rap off that way. You can't see your rap device or krab to know that it is properly oriented/loaded.

A lot of people consider rappelling the most dangerous part of climbing so why go and make it more dangerous?

See THIS recent thread for more info.

Bryan

timstich

Mar 22, 2004, 1:44 AM
Post #4 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When rappelling cammando style, refrain from wearing short shorts, lest ye get thyne sack or curly locks caught up in the device.

jakedatc

Mar 22, 2004, 2:02 AM
Post #5 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When rappelling cammando style, refrain from wearing short shorts, lest ye get thyne sack or curly locks caught up in the device.
ouch...... :cry:

climbingpride

Mar 22, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #6 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it seems to be a lot more complicated if it should even be done at all.

Don't take me for a fool. The time I had done this was before I had gotten into climbing. Years later, and much more experienced, I now know more of the dangers found within the very things designed to make climbing safe. That is exactly why I wanted to address this issue, due to the dangers that could be found within.

Thanks for links, and your views on the subject.

travelin_light

Mar 22, 2004, 5:21 AM
Post #7 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you have to try this you should use a big quick link so if it gets cross loaded you won't deck. if you get a big enough one you can maybe get it around your harness easier. seem like climbing rock would be more fun in my opinion.

abock33

Mar 22, 2004, 5:27 AM
Post #8 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't listen to them!!! You're asking the wrong group...(unfortunately most of the people on here are to dedicated in climbing to take time off and jump off a perfectly good cliff). They'd rather spend half the time deciding if it actually is climbable, then spend the rest of it wasting all their energy trying to get up it. Sometimes you need a break, so I say why not just "walk " up the path and jump off it.

With that said. I have the same harness. if you put it on backwards it feals really awkward, but works perfectly fine. you can loosen the leg loops all the way and it won't hurt your junk as much. I've used it like that and hung completely upsidedown and haven't had a problem yet.

abock33

Mar 22, 2004, 5:40 AM
Post #9 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't listen to them!!! You're asking the wrong group...(unfortunately most of the people on here are to dedicated in climbing to take time off and jump off a perfectly good cliff). They'd rather spend half the time deciding if it actually is climbable, then spend the rest of it wasting all their energy trying to get up it. Sometimes you need a break, so I say why not just "walk " up the path and jump off it.

With that said. I have the same harness. if you put it on backwards it feals really awkward, but works perfectly fine. you can loosen the leg loops all the way and it won't hurt your junk as much. I've used it like that and hung completely upsidedown and haven't had a problem yet.

sealpup

Mar 22, 2004, 5:54 AM
Post #10 of 10 (991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok the only reason to rappel face down is so that you can see what is at the bottom. The only reason to need to see what is at the bottom would be tactical. The military uses it because it enables an operative to fire on targets below. If you don’t understand this than forget about it. Remember the military also rappel’s with two wraps of the rope around a non locking oval. I have and still do rappel Australian stile and with ovals. Unlike conventional methods a SLIGHT (as in VARY, VARY easy to make) mistake with ether of these methods more than likely will KILL you. I DO NOT IN ANY WAY suggest using ether of these methods, there is just no margin for err. If you still want to rappel Australian than you might try taking a 1 & ½ foot peace of 1 in webbing and tying a loop on the back of your harness to hook up to. If you do not understand what I have just said or need further instruction than you have no business using this method.

Remember adrenaline junkies and heroes have no place in life they both get them selves or even worse others killed.

SEALpup

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook