RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

danokow

Mar 22, 2004, 9:29 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Rock climbing thesis
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am writing a term paper and I want my thesis to be rock climbing based. My question is, what topics, concerns, or arguements are worth while for research. This will help me a lot in my thesis proposal. Thank you in advanced.

-Dan

needmoregear

Mar 22, 2004, 9:39 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rock climbing thesis [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i would say access issues. don't get hung up in these trad vs. sport vs. aid vs. bouldering etc. if there in one thing all climbers can agree on is keeping existing climbing areas open to climbing. you will probably get the most help with a topic like that.

slablizard

Mar 22, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The meaning of climbing, the gratification of climbing.
Addiction to gratification
History of Climbing
Future of climbing

Greatest climbers
Greatest climbs

Yosemite
the alpine climbing
8000 climbs...

Climbing gear and its evolution
Climbing gyms, a generation of indoor climbers

ambler

Mar 22, 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am writing a term paper and I want my thesis to be rock climbing based. My question is, what topics, concerns, or arguements are worth while for research. This will help me a lot in my thesis proposal. Thank you in advanced.
Why not start your research with some reading? From books to magazines to websites, there's an awful lot out there.

hangdoggypound

Mar 22, 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Why not start your research with some reading? From books to magazines to websites, there's an awful lot out there.
Really, there ain't much to write about...or Chuck Pratt said it best about rock climbing, "I don't want to write about it, I don't want to talk about it, all I want to do is do it."

But if write you must...I think climbing history and the future of climbing is the most interesting stuff to read in regards to this topic. Access issues fall right in there, too.

climbhigh2005

Mar 22, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PICK A NEW TOPIC!!! Soon!!! I was in the same boat you're in, and I deciced to do my on "why people rock climb"... After spending days and daays trying to do research on this I've gotten hardly anywhere... I still have a little less than 2 weeks to do mine, but I'm running out of stuff fast... there is only so many ways to say climbing is cool... LOL I think we should stick to easy topics that there is alot of info about instead of something we just love doing... rock climbing being such a unknown sport its hard to find alot of info about it... most encyclopedias dont even have climbing in them... If you do do your thesis on it good luck... hopefullly you will find it easier than I am...

ginerbiner

Mar 23, 2004, 1:26 AM
Post #7 of 9 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe PM ecocliffchick about environmental impact of climbing. This is her line of study and work. Scientiffikk's idea is a great thesis. Just wanted to give you a possible contact for data collection and research. Also, include the work that the ACCESS FUND is doing to preserve these natural areas by utilizing funds and volunteerism (trail days) to give back to the very environment that we enjoy so much. I PMd both you and Melissa with a longer list of ideas. Good luck.

scientiffikk

Mar 23, 2004, 1:35 AM
Post #8 of 9 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

-Dan

Edit: If other people are going to edit earlier posts to steal credit for my idea, then I'll keep it to myself.

ginerbiner

Mar 23, 2004, 1:39 AM
Post #9 of 9 (1892 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great one scientifikk!! Check with ecocliffchic on this site. This is her line of study and work.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook