Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

mountainchick82

Mar 28, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #1 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Girlfriends
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got back from a spring break road trip with my best friend who happens to be a guy. As we were travelling I found that something was missing. Finally I realized it was female companionship.

I have close girlfriends, but none of them are into the outdoors. They are either shopaholics or sloths. None of them I feel I can take a road trip with, enjoy the outdoors, or laugh over a spill on a mountain bike, or how smelly we are after 5 days in the backcountry.

How have you found good women friends or chicks that enjoy the outdoors like you do? I find it hard, though it shouldn't be here in LA or back home in Colorado.

Any thoughts? Cheers!

mtnchik

Mar 28, 2004, 3:17 AM
Post #2 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Re: Girlfriends [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dude...you think it's hard out there in LA and Colorado, try NJ. I think I'm the only chik in Jersey that bikes, hikes, climbs, and camps. And when i do find a chik to climb or bike with she won't bring me around her friends because she feels threatened that i'm going to take her friends away. I would do almost anything for a cool chik to hang out with, i kind of get tired of the testosterone every now and then and would like a fresh breath of feminism.

hstewart

Mar 28, 2004, 4:53 AM
Post #3 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

totally. if these women do exist, they are easily threatened. it sucks. there's a serious lack of cool chicks in this world.

climbingurlie

Mar 28, 2004, 6:12 AM
Post #4 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel for ya. I love to be outdoors and hike, and camp, and climb, and whatnot, but it seems that most females I know aren't interested. "Oh, it's to hot/cold." "Oh, I don't want to mess my hair up." "Oh, I don't have anything to wear outside." I get stuck with guys most of the time and I'm pushed to do things that the guys can easily do, that I cannot. It definitly sux not having someone with me at the time who can relate with me.

josephine

Mar 28, 2004, 2:37 PM
Post #5 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep,i feel exactly how you feel...
I'm in a climbing club with 20members and i'm the only girl...good one huh?We used to have another 2 girls but they stopped
All my girlfriends doesn't want to climb/hike etc...they like other things better than wanting to sweat or whatever,want nice nails yada yada...

blah it sux :(

jay_climbingchick

Mar 28, 2004, 3:06 PM
Post #6 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know how you feel!
I live in Colorado and I have notest that guys are the only people that I do anything involving the outdoors. I you find then in colorado let me know.

timstich

Mar 28, 2004, 3:14 PM
Post #7 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
totally. if these women do exist, they are easily threatened. it sucks. there's a serious lack of cool chicks in this world.

You're just new to town, Holly. There's tons of cool climbing and outdoorsy women near you. I met a very cool trad climber in Eldo once but got her e-mail address wrong. She was upbeat and cool. Sandra is her name. She's a teacher and has long dark hair if you run into anyone like that in Eldo. If anyone reading this knows that Sandra, get her in touch with us.

You should meet my wife Marketa, too. She's way outdoorsy. We'll all go climbing as soon as this cold snap leaves us. Too bad about the hail yesterday.

Partner missedyno

Mar 28, 2004, 3:26 PM
Post #8 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oh wow - you're telling me! i have no girlfriends, really. a few people to chat with at work, but they're work people... just lost a girlfriend, she doesn't climb anymore, and wanted me to come out to parties where everyone gets drunk - not my style...

a few chicks i've met through this site, pretty cool girls, but i'm up here in ontario. sigh!

besides that, any girls i think i may be friends with - they're concentrating on geting married and having babies. something i SO DO NOT RELATE TO!!

and then on top of that, it'd be nice to have a girlfriend i could chill with and burn some green. sigh.

maculated

Mar 28, 2004, 5:25 PM
Post #9 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How have you found good women friends or chicks that enjoy the outdoors like you do?

Like any good relationship, finding like-minded souls can take a while. I have four of the best friends I'll ever have and I waited 15 years to find them. They aren't climbing friends and they are slightly miffed about it, but such is life. They are worth the effort it takes to be friends with them ten years later.

During my climbing tenure, i've been fortunate enough to be steeped in the climbing culture and I can assure you women are out there. I just got back from a week with one of the most wonderful, good-hearted, outdoors-loving women I've met yet. It takes time.

ratherbe

Mar 28, 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #10 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As maculated said, it takes time and is probably somewhat similar to finding that special guy... you go through a lot of not so greats first on the road to finding lasting friends. Luckily, I've managed to make great friends in any of the new hobbies I've picked up, both male and female. I have noticed though that the friendships always take a little more work when either person (me or friend) gets involved with a new man. I think that's just a fact of life.

climbhigh2005

Mar 28, 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #11 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lately I have seen alot of grls at the crags... but I know how you feel... I have yet to find a girl to go climb and camp and smell bad with... We should all form our own community in the middle of nowhere LOL if that made any since... but since weall live so far away an have the same problem...

hstewart

Mar 29, 2004, 1:07 AM
Post #12 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're just new to town, Holly. There's tons of cool climbing and outdoorsy women near you.

maybe. though most of the women i've met here haven't been nearly as down-to-earth as the folks back east (men and women alike). though i suppose that's comes with living in boulder.

most of the girls/women i see at the crags are climbing with their boyfriends. not that there's anything wrong with that...i guess i just can't relate. it would just be nice to meet some women who climb totally for themselves and aren't afraid to get dirty. ya know?

timstich

Mar 29, 2004, 1:17 AM
Post #13 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
You're just new to town, Holly. There's tons of cool climbing and outdoorsy women near you.

maybe. though most of the women i've met here haven't been nearly as down-to-earth as the folks back east (men and women alike). though i suppose that's comes with living in boulder.

most of the girls/women i see at the crags are climbing with their boyfriends. not that there's anything wrong with that...i guess i just can't relate. it would just be nice to meet some women who climb totally for themselves and aren't afraid to get dirty. ya know?

Yeah, that girl I mentioned is like that. Her husband doesn't climb, so she's out there on her own climbing with whoever shows up. Have you met Kelly from CO Springs yet? She skydives as well.

Partner macherry

Mar 29, 2004, 4:10 PM
Post #14 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ola, chiquita,

I grok your thoughts, but they're out there, believe me! Git yer fanny back to CO and there'll be plenty of las damas to hang with! And besides, you know where I live and work so the door's always open!

SKibs
I concur. Mtn. women are the finest! I have a good crew of mtn. wingwomen!

mcheshi

Mar 29, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #15 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

the first time i went climbing was because my uncle made me go, and me being the golden age i was b!tched and moaned the whole time we drove there and well to make the story shorter i had a great time which is usually what happens when i complain so much.

i personally, don't really like females , i have very few female friends and the ones i do have i never see and like it that way. i spend more time and effort trying to get them to go away than i do trying to find them.
most females i know think you can either be one of the girls, or one of the guys. and as i am neither i can't always be with one or the other. i don't know i'm doing a horrible job of explaining this. i would rather be around guys, they aren't moody and they aren't as judgemental when i don't look perfect, which is a lot of the time. :roll: i guess maybe it's less about their gender and more about how you can relate to them. i don't know. but like everyone's saying, it just takes time.

howdidshedothat

Mar 29, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #16 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can totally relate, It is hard to find cool climbing girls. For the longest time I only climbed with guys, their cool, but like a lot of the other ladies have said, it is nice to be around another lady from time to time. *sigh*

litleclimberchick

Mar 29, 2004, 10:09 PM
Post #17 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
there's a serious lack of cool chicks in this world.

i don't think so...there's just a lack of cool younger chicks...not many teenage chicks i know would even consider climbing or anything outdoorsy, let alone actually doing it. it's upsetting :?

rvega

Mar 29, 2004, 11:44 PM
Post #18 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Guess I'm unique here in that almost all my girlfreinds are into outdoor sports including climbing. In fact even all my girlfriends from high school climb. When we had a reunion we all went climbing at a local gym. I do benefit from the fact that most of my friends here are environmentalists or scientists and those often go hand in hand with outdoor recreation.

gretchino

Mar 29, 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #19 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
oh wow - you're telling me! i have no girlfriends, really. a few people to chat with at work, but they're work people... just lost a girlfriend, she doesn't climb anymore, and wanted me to come out to parties where everyone gets drunk - not my style...

You took the words right out of my fingers...You would think San Diego would be an easy place to meet outdoorsy people, hell they seem to be everywhere. However, meeting girls here is near impossible. I've really gone out of my way a few times and just been shot down. It's just plain frustrating.

mountainchick82

Mar 30, 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #20 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Ladies in So Cal! Tired of prissy chicks? Tired of friends who want to shop all the time? Then lets get together for some outdoor fun....anyone up for it?

moabbeth

Mar 30, 2004, 2:59 AM
Post #21 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey Ladies in So Cal! Tired of prissy chicks? Tired of friends who want to shop all the time? Then lets get together for some outdoor fun....anyone up for it?

I'm in West LA during the week, on the road climbing every weekend. I don't use a tent, I like to sleep in the dirt. I can go days without showering and drive like a long haul trucker. I think you're gonna have to join me on some of my mad-dog weekend Yosemite trips this season. 10 hours roundtrip driving for 2 days in the valley....WELL worth it. At least this season I'll have Meg around the valley some weekends to get in trouble with :lol: :lol: :lol: !!

But I agree...hardcore outdoors girfriends are hard to come by. 99% of the time I'm around the guys outside cause they like to get dirty, climb and party like I do. Oh yeah, I hope you like beer. :wink: . And if you like tequila....you'll soon become my best friend.

nitrogirl

Mar 31, 2004, 3:53 AM
Post #22 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As maculated said, it takes time and is probably somewhat similar to finding that special guy... you go through a lot of not so greats first on the road to finding lasting friends. Luckily, I've managed to make great friends in any of the new hobbies I've picked up, both male and female. I have noticed though that the friendships always take a little more work when either person (me or friend) gets involved with a new man. I think that's just a fact of life.

I agree with you on this one. I have been lucky as well. My climbing partner and I used to work together, now she is at a bank but we still hang out and climb. Neither of us have BF's right now though, but I think we'll be ok. I am meeting so many new people, I am lovin it. I don't care who I climb , hike or camp with as long as they don't smell too bad. lol Any of you girls wanna visit the great Northwest the doors always open.

watersprite

Mar 31, 2004, 5:52 PM
Post #23 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
i can totally relate, It is hard to find cool climbing girls. For the longest time I only climbed with guys, their cool, but like a lot of the other ladies have said, it is nice to be around another lady from time to time. *sigh*

;( snif! I miss you. you are the coolest climbing chick ever. I loved seeing your truck at Yosemite and Strawberry. I'm not working, maybe it's time for a road trip, hmmm?

kitarra

Mar 31, 2004, 6:24 PM
Post #24 of 93 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess I'm torn on this issue. I grew up a tomboy with no close female friends, so I didn't even know what I was missing until eleventh grade when I met my friend Mara, who to this day is my closest friend. She's not the athletic type, and on top of that she has a very large bone structure, so rockclimbing intimidates the shit out of her. I get that.

The club I'm in is actually predominantly female, but there are only three of us who are into it seriously. The rest of 'em are cool chicks, but content to stay indoors and don't go out of their way for it. On the other hand, the guys that are in it are much more into climbing, seeing it more as a life passion than a fun hobby for now.

I'm lucky enough to have a climbing buddy. She rocks my socks! We're both tomboys, neither of us tend to make meaningful friendships with other women, and we're both grumpy about being short, having more bodyfat, less upper body strength, and lower centers of gravity than guys. But hey, the flexibility makes up for some of that, as does not having to ever experience getting a nut caught in the harness. Ouch. And in some ways, now that I've gotten my fiance interested in climbing I'm bummed that she and I won't get our estrogen power alone time. ^_~

So yeah, hardcore chicks? We exist. The fact that most of us seem to dismiss other women as girly and shallow on sight probably has a lot to do with the fact that people can't seem to find us. There are definitely more men in the sport than women, and I think to a large degree it's because their gender gives them the edge in most cases. But I've never let that stop me before. ^_^

tonithegreat

Mar 31, 2004, 8:48 PM
Post #25 of 93 (9316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't really have climbing girlfriends either, but I think that in my case, it's not the other climbing women that are problematic. It's me. :oops:

The guys that I climb with are just easier to deal with on road trips and in the gym, so they are the ones that I tend to e-mail first when I'm trying to get a trip together or make sure I have a partner that night. But that isn't any climber chick's fault, it's just that _I've_ decided I'm more comfortable with the guys. One of my main climbing buddies is a lady friend, but she also works an abnormal week and pursues tons of other activities, so it isn't as easy to schedule things with her. All my lady friends like to do outdoorsy stuff, but other than the aforementioned busy friend, none of them really climb very much or very well. And that's another issue I'm starting to run into with my casual climbing buddies. As I've become more commited to the sport and improved, I tend to want to climb with people that are at my level or better than me in order to get more out of the expereince. And while there are plenty of women in my gym that fit that bill, they aren't people that I've really gotten to know. So I wind up climbing with my already made guy friends.

But who was that talking about her love of 10 hour mainc driving road trips, and beer, and even tequila! There's a climbing chick buddy for me! Sigh. Of course she almost certainly lives on the west coast in some state where they've actually got rocks. . .

Toni

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook