RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

wq2211

Mar 30, 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #1 of 5 (937 views)
Shortcut

River to river trial
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Hey guys this isnt about climbing but I wanted to put it into the Midwest forum. Me and my brother are hopefully going to hike throught the river to river trail in So. IL.(goes thro garden of the gods). Anyone here hike it or have experience on long hikes and any tips for a newbi like me would be greatly appreciated. Btw its around 170 miles. Thanks for the help laterzz.

shank

Mar 30, 2004, 10:52 PM
Post #2 of 5 (937 views)
Shortcut

Re: River to river trial [In reply to]
Report this Post

This web site has some good training info specific to hiking:

Training

Also this book is a good resorce:

Barnes&Noble

outhere

Mar 30, 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #3 of 5 (937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

hey wq,
I thru-hiked Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine in 2001. My advice to you would be to get your pack as light as possible, practice cooking at home before hand-making good tasty meals(not just noodles), and give yourself more time than you think just so u can have a good time and see the land without being in race mode.

The best training is just by having healthy diet and exercising on the occasion.
Have fun and pm me if you have any other questions about food, equipment or whatever.
Billy

andy_lemon

Mar 31, 2004, 2:07 AM
Post #4 of 5 (937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Dude, if your a gumby hiker and just looking for a cool place to hike around then don't do the River to River trail. That thing is rutted out by horses, it goes up and down, up and down, up and down, right over the huge gaping holes left behind herds of horses. A rough terrain is always fun to navigate but the River to River trail is hardly what I call fun. Even the horse riders limit their use on it now days. There are several popular areas around the River to River trail were trails have been built by horse stable owners, so they can access the same areas without having to navigate the crappy trail.

The River to River trail is marked, but side trails are not. Know where you are going in detail before you leave. Preferably a gps and topographical map with coordinates. Backpacking in the Shawnee in general is not fun during the summer. Ticks, mosquitos, flies, and all the other blood suckers are thrown in with our rediculous midwest humidity.

There are sections of trail around the River to River that are really cool. The R2R trail isn't that great but allows you to stumble apon some neat stuff. The sections off of the R2R trail around the Garden of the Gods are the best... Drive to Garden of the Gods, park at the backpackers gravel parking lot. Hike back to the main road and head towards the picnic area (opposite the entrance). When you see the first signs that say "Trail Crossing" that is the River to River Trail. Head Southwest. Plan to hike the sections of trail that branch off of the R2R Trail instead of hiking the R2R trail itself.

I hope this helps or at least gives you an idea of what to expect.

Andy

andy_lemon

Mar 31, 2004, 2:10 AM
Post #5 of 5 (937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

p.s. One thing you can do to limit the bloodsuckers from liking you too much is to stop drinking sugar and eating sugar foods a few days before your trip. This will pay off in the end.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook