RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

mattiem

Mar 30, 2004, 8:34 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Petzl Freino
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

WHOA DADDY

has anyone seen one of these in real life?
I just got the enw 2004 catalog and they are wierd as hell

Its not even up on their website yet

Basically its a normal locking carabiner but on the spine opposite the gate is another gate opening with a wire gate. You are supposed to clip your rope into this secondary gate to increse friction and control on rappels and to keep the rope from getting tangled.

Interesting idea its sort of like adding the little notch from the pirahana figure 8 device to a locker and then adding a wiregate on it. I will def pick one of these up just to see what it is like.

Any thoughts? Anyone else seen this?

mattiem

moeman

Mar 31, 2004, 3:16 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Re: Petzl Freino [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like an interesting idea. Whats the cost $$$?

tweek

Mar 31, 2004, 3:35 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks cool and is exactly what this link:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46673&highlight=grigri+piggy+back

talked about doing with a slightly different technique.

Partner coldclimb

Mar 31, 2004, 3:39 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is this really necessary though? I can rappel just fine on my normal locker, and I'm never going to buy a piece of gear specifically for rappelling if it doesn't also work exceptionally well for a lot of other stuff. Does this thing have any versatility to it? Seems like just a gimmick to get people to buy another interesting piece of gear... :?

mattiem

Mar 31, 2004, 6:44 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not really sure if it hase any other use, i as well have no problem rapping on my standard lockers i want one just for the novelty value it looks ridiculous. The one use i can see is that is say you acn wrap the rope in the hook for more friction. I had to simul rap on double skinnies and there wasn't enough friction and i got a bit of rope burn so mabye this biner could replace the need for the reverino or similar skinny rope belay device?

matt

sklantedzrt

May 4, 2004, 1:16 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:?
The very same effect of the Freino's smaller secondary biner can be created simply:
Alongside your rap biner (big locker) on yor belay loop, clip a wiregate (BD Ovalwire emulates the Freino secondary's proportions nicely) with opposing gate. Rope tension will minimize the "apparent span" of the wiregate to the diameter of your rope, or just slightly more (i.e. the distance from the spine of the big biner to the gate of the wiregate biner will be only big enought for your rope, say 9-11mm, just like the Freino's secondary slot.

The Frieno may be a weight saver if you always use its specialty function, but for weekenders and alpinists, the above technique will save you the weight, space, and expense of yet another gizmo.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook