RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

tobyhaughey

Mar 31, 2004, 9:44 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Chamonix info please.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I had planned on Scotland this week hoping that snow might hold, needless to say it hasn't and I don't fancy a mammoth road trip just to plod through slush. Living in Southampton it occured to me that the Alps are just as close as scotland and so am toying with the idea of heading out there with a few friends.

What do people advise, I have been to the chamonix before so know the layout roughly however we were just cragging and so I don't know the score with best locations higher up at this time of year.

I have a fair amount of scottish winter experience and lead grade III, I have also climbed at altitude before. I am planning to go out for five days climbing and would like to try some longish grade II/III routes just to get a feel for the place, altitude etc.

Would anyone recommend any locations and particular routes that might be in condition this time of year. I had been considereing the Cosmique Arete (no sure about spelling) but wasn't sure if it would be suitable.

I will obviously check with the Guide Office prior to setting of to climb anything, but i was wandering what peoples thoughts were on a trip of this kind this time of year.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Toby.

timstich

Apr 2, 2004, 6:41 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chamonix info please. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From a friend who climbs there:

Chamonix: I am sure the best routes now are ski mountaineering ones,
especially this year that it keeps snowing (even last weekend). Some ascents may be too loaded with snow to be enjoyable. In the area, The Aiguilles are a blast.

mainline

Apr 12, 2004, 9:49 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chamonix info please. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just returned today from Chamonix. We completed the haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt Switzerland over five days. The weather has been variable. A foot of new snow fell on the Mount Blanc Massif on Saturday. I am sure there is still plenty of good climbing though. Some of the North facing ice climbs looked fantastic. The skiing is great too.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook