RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

boulder_boy

Apr 5, 2004, 1:50 AM
Post #1 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

my first bouldering comp...QUESTION!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Uhm their a bouldering competition in shoshone idaho may 1st and this will be my first one and Im kinda clueless on what I need to know.

what I was wondering is their any helpful hints that you guys could share to help me with the comp? thanks

reprieve

Apr 5, 2004, 1:52 AM
Post #2 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Re: my first bouldering comp...QUESTION! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spend as much time as you can scoping out problems before the comp starts, that way you can figure out where you want to start. my first time, the comp started, and everybody ran to the problems the wanted to do, and i just kind of wandered around for a while wasting time.

karmaklimber

Apr 5, 2004, 2:00 AM
Post #3 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First and foremost, have fun. :)

cin

Apr 5, 2004, 2:48 AM
Post #4 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you see someone way better than you climbing. Watch how they climb carefully so you learn how the "pros" do it. At a comp, beta is like gold.

girlclimb

Apr 5, 2004, 3:08 AM
Post #5 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

start on easier problems, make sure you keep enjoying yourself, watch other climbers so you can learn.
GOOD LUCK and have fun! :D

Partner mr8615

Apr 5, 2004, 3:18 AM
Post #6 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldering comps aren't usually about the 'comp' part. It's just a bunch of climbers getting together to have a great time. Enjoy it. Usually comps are a good chance to watch climbers who are much better than you (or at least me), so that will be a benefit, like others said, watch and learn. I love comps because I always have such a good time and meet tons of awesome people.

reprieve

Apr 5, 2004, 3:27 AM
Post #7 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
At a comp, beta is like gold.

word. Also, conserve energy so you can climb at a reasonable level throughout the comp instead of burning out real fast.

Partner iclimbtoo

Apr 5, 2004, 3:45 AM
Post #8 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WINNING IS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! No, I'm just kidding! :lol: Have a good time, and keep your eyes open...watch everyone and be observant. Alot of times actions (or climbing) will teach you more than anything. Just don't get too caught up watching. And try jumping on something that puts you out of your comfort range.

daytonagtp

Apr 5, 2004, 4:04 AM
Post #9 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haveing competed in a few bouldering comps. (4) and haveing placed 2nd for the intermediate catagory twice i agree with what the others have said about scouting problems before the comp and even watching pros warm up on those v4's and v5's that i wanted to send get the beta then send

hulgan

May 3, 2004, 8:02 PM
Post #10 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On a related note I'm considering entering a bouldering comp at the end of this month. The novice class is V0-V2 so I'd probably enter that.

I've been climbing about 3 months now. I'm 6',1", 30 years old and fairly strong.

Would entering the novice class be sandbagging? On the one hand I'm extremely new to climbing and I don't want to be shamed in an upper class but on the other I don't want to steal anything from younger, weaker climbers.

Do people of all ages usually compete against each other or would I end up climbing against a 12 year old? It seems like a hollow victory to beat a child, regardless of their experience.

jhump

May 3, 2004, 8:15 PM
Post #11 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On a related note I'm considering entering a bouldering comp at the end of this month. The novice class is V0-V2 so I'd probably enter that.

I've been climbing about 3 months now. I'm 6',1", 30 years old and fairly strong.

Would entering the novice class be sandbagging? On the one hand I'm extremely new to climbing and I don't want to be shamed in an upper class but on the other I don't want to steal anything from younger, weaker climbers.

Do people of all ages usually compete against each other or would I end up climbing against a 12 year old? It seems like a hollow victory to beat a child, regardless of their experience.

There are some sick 12 year olds serving up humble pie to 30 somethings. When they beat you, it will be a hollow victory for them to whip a 30 year old fogie :D . V8 and mid 5.13 is not unheard of for climbers that age. Be sure to wear a beanie, like in the mags. I say go for intermediate and get spanked, but if you score higher than the novice winner, you will know you could have won novice. Have fun.

bouldering-bumm
Deleted

May 3, 2004, 8:55 PM
Post #12 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It depends on if its top 5 or all points. top 5, just try to get 5 in, then beat your lowest points

dredsovrn

May 3, 2004, 9:17 PM
Post #13 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At my first one (only one until it comes around next year) I spent way too much time working on two problems that were at the peak of my ability and not really my style. That wasn't smart. I burned myself out so much I couldn't do easy problems. Oh yeah, I had to leave early too (that didn't help).

Next time, I will take more time checking out the problems and come up with a plan. If a problem is kicking my butt after a few tries, I will move on and maybe come back later. I will also take more rest time (planning ahead and not having to leave early will help) between problems.

That being said, I think I finished dead last in my group and had a great time. My goal wasn't a score, it was to push outside my comfort zone and try something new. I will definitely go back again next year.

madriver

May 3, 2004, 9:36 PM
Post #14 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...it depends on if you want to do well (try and win) or just see how you stack up. An effective strategy might be to warm up (2-3) problems on easy problems. Jump into some moderate to hard problems fairly soon. As stated before, watch others for beta. Knock off (3-4) fairly hard problems. You will gain more adrenaline the harder the send. Working the mid-range to hard problems early will give you a better shot at a send, if you do not have Sharma like stamina. After you send (3-4) mid to hard probs, go for the hard stuff, something a grade or two above your current best. You will be surprised what adrenaline can do for you at a comp. BTW ..this is if the comp is "Best Five". If this fails ...NEVER MIND..LOL!! :D You can always drop back and send your normal grade and turn in your card. Try hard and go for it! You have nothing to lose and only upside if you crank. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

BA :D

boulder_boy

May 3, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #15 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol funny thing I got second in intermediate but I was climbing this route that was kidna by a poorly padded part and fell at teh top of teh problem and got a fracture in my ankle....its in such a bad spot that I cant climb or do anything for 3-6 months Im so pissed off.

plus I just barely started getting really kinda good....I would have gotten first in intermediate if I wouldnt have hurt my self but at least I got some shoes a shirt and some get well kisses from the ladies :D

hulgan

May 4, 2004, 1:08 PM
Post #16 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't know a thing about how competitions are run so I'll have to get some info from the organizers.

If I understood you correctly If I climb something that turns out to be a v3 then I'm automatically in the intermediate class right? So asside from getting more fatigued by climbing harder problems there's no downside to trying harder stuff. If it's too hard I can do the easier ones and automatically get ranked as a novice.

Hope I got that straight.

johnathon78

Oct 9, 2004, 1:45 AM
Post #17 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just have fun my man!

hardrock_chik

Oct 30, 2004, 12:05 PM
Post #18 of 18 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it is a Pumpfest style they usually give a certain amount of time to just climb what you can. the scoring for the one I competed in counted my top 10 problems and the points they were worth. they're more informal than difficulty climbing but ive only ever been to one bouldering comp. so yeah... hope that helps!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook