Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

fatgirl686

Apr 8, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #1 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Why do people?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Why do people record ascents if they did not send the climb? So when people view there profile and climbing record it looks like they climb hard? So their name appears on the Top Ten list of difficult climbs? Why is there a hang dog option in the ascent list? Just because you have been on a route or climbed the first 5 feet before getting spanked, does not mean you did an ascent. This should not even be an option. How do others feel?

Partner j_ung

Apr 8, 2004, 4:05 PM
Post #2 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why do people? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you've mistaken the actual purpose of the ascent list. Though people often use it to see how hard some one else climbs, it's intended to help climbers find route-specific beta if they want it.

Though it doesn't pertain directly to your question, unfortunately some people use it to inflate their images, so take it with a grain of salt.

wigglestick

Apr 8, 2004, 4:06 PM
Post #3 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you care too much about what others are climbing or saying they are climbing.

maculated

Apr 8, 2004, 4:26 PM
Post #4 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

maculated moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maculated moved this thread from General to Suggestions & Questions.

mtman

Apr 8, 2004, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think you care too much about what others are climbing or saying they are climbing.

i cant agree more, you should only care about what you climb and enjoy it, let the stupid people be stupid. be better than them

Partner rrrADAM

Apr 8, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #6 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As j-ung said, it has value to members who may want beta on the particular climbs...

I have been contacted many times by users asking for beta (pro, rope length, descent, approach, etc...) on specific climbs. Showing who has climbed what is a usefull tool for users so they can send a PM to a user who has ascended a route.

It also serves as a "tick list" for users who maintain a log of what they have climbed... I know of many who used to do it in the guidebooks, but have since switched the the RDB Ascents database, myself included.

rmiller

Apr 8, 2004, 4:39 PM
Post #7 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think you've mistaken the actual purpose of the ascent list. Though people often use it to see how hard some one else climbs, it's intended to help climbers find route-specific beta if they want it.

Where did this come from? It looks like a tick list to me, not a page for beta.

I don't know if she really cares how hard someone climbs or not (b/c I can't read minds), but I know I use a person's climbing record as an estimate of ability and how much weight I give their comments in the forums. So, I would like it to be accurate. I know it is a crude estimate, but the internet limits my ability to measure experience levels. I know climbing grades are not THE source, or best predicter, for a person's ability and experience, so don't even go there. As I said, there is not much else to go on in this medium. I also use the climbing record to see what my friends, and others, in different parts of the U.S. are doing. Sort of like keeping in touch without talking. There is also the healthy competition factor.
Ronnie

rmiller

Apr 8, 2004, 4:44 PM
Post #8 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As j-ung said, it has value to members who may want beta on the particular climbs...

I have been contacted many times by users asking for beta (pro, rope length, descent, approach, etc...) on specific climbs. Showing who has climbed what is a usefull tool for users so they can send a PM to a user who has ascended a route.

So how do we know the person actually did the route and can give good beta? It seems that someone who has actually sent the climb would have better beta than someone who hangdogged there way up it. There is a big difference in my opinion.

fatgirl686

Apr 8, 2004, 5:00 PM
Post #9 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That is a BS comment that comes from people who wish they climbed harder than they do!

crazygirl

Apr 8, 2004, 5:23 PM
Post #10 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That is a BS comment that comes from people who wish they climbed harder than they do!

i don't see why this is a 'BS' comment. you asked for responses, and he responded

wigglestick

Apr 8, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #11 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I think you care too much about how hard I climb, or say I climb. I don't matter that much, really.

jv

Apr 8, 2004, 5:52 PM
Post #12 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Compare the following:
Are you really fat or are you just using that name to "inflate" yourself in our imaginations?

Now that is a BS comment.

JV

reprieve

Apr 8, 2004, 5:52 PM
Post #13 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why is there a hang dog option in the ascent list? Just because you have been on a route or climbed the first 5 feet before getting spanked, does not mean you did an ascent. This should not even be an option.

Hang dog means that you had to take on the rope, but you still sent the route/problem.

Partner calamity_chk

Apr 8, 2004, 5:58 PM
Post #14 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So how do we know the person actually did the route and can give good beta? It seems that someone who has actually sent the climb would have better beta than someone who hangdogged there way up it. There is a big difference in my opinion.

you click on the link in their profile, and it will show you their style of ascent. for example, looks like you got a redpoint on Ascent of Cowgirl Diplomacy in jacks canyon a couple of weekends ago .. good job.

ambler

Apr 8, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #15 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Why is there a hang dog option in the ascent list? Just because you have been on a route or climbed the first 5 feet before getting spanked, does not mean you did an ascent. This should not even be an option.

Hang dog means that you had to take on the rope, but you still sent the route/problem.
Hang dog means that you failed. You might still be very proud you got up, but it's dishonest to tell others you "sent."

curt

Apr 8, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #16 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

The point is that you can not do both. If you hung on the rope you did NOT send the route/problem, unless you want to call it an "aid" ascent.

Curt

jt512

Apr 8, 2004, 6:41 PM
Post #17 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Why do people record ascents if they did not send the climb? So when people view there profile and climbing record it looks like they climb hard? So their name appears on the Top Ten list of difficult climbs? Why is there a hang dog option in the ascent list? Just because you have been on a route or climbed the first 5 feet before getting spanked, does not mean you did an ascent. This should not even be an option. How do others feel?

Some people use the ascent list as a diary, and keep track of every attempt on the route. I have suggested several times that hangdog and toprope ascents not be echoed to the Top Ten most difficult ascent lists, but no one has done anything about it.

-Jay

holmeslovesguinness

Apr 8, 2004, 7:00 PM
Post #18 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I for one am going to say a little prayer before I go to bed tonight for the souls of each and everyone of them lyin' sumbitches who claimed to have sent a route but were really only hang-dogging. Surely they will all burn in hell.

curt

Apr 8, 2004, 7:06 PM
Post #19 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Some people use the ascent list as a diary, and keep track of every attempt on the route. I have suggested several times that hangdog and toprope ascents not be echoed to the Top Ten most difficult ascent lists, but no one has done anything about it.

-Jay

Except that TR ascents are legitimate free climbing ascents--if done without weighting the rope, while hangdog ascents are not.

Curt

tonedawk

Apr 8, 2004, 7:23 PM
Post #20 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As with what seems like most topics associated with climbing, people simply have different ethics. Not saying any one person is wrong but simply different. If some want to build themselves up by claiming 5.12 tr's that they only made it up via their belayer's patience and body-weight then that's their business. They know deep down they didn't climb it, and so what. They probably had fun none the less. So if they want to claim it they can lie to themselves and to the people who look at their asscents.

I personally don't claim anything I do on tr unless it is hard, and I did it without falling. Also easy climbs must be led for them to count towards my asscent list. I don't know that's just my personal preference. :lol:

g
Deleted

Apr 8, 2004, 8:00 PM
Post #21 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What if you're doing a multi-pitch and you swing leads? Onsite or TR? :?

:lol:

rmiller

Apr 8, 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #22 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What if you're doing a multi-pitch and you swing leads? Onsite or TR? :?

:lol:

OS if you did it without falling, as that is the accepted standard right now. If you fell on lead or while following a pitch, you did not do the route clean. Thus, it is a hangdog according to this website's ascent list.

rmiller

Apr 8, 2004, 11:13 PM
Post #23 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

you click on the link in their profile, and it will show you their style of ascent. for example, looks like you got a redpoint on Ascent of Cowgirl Diplomacy in jacks canyon a couple of weekends ago .. good job.

Thank you, but back to topic. A hang dog should still not be considered an ascent. It would be similar to taking a helicopter to the top of Everest (if it were physically possible) and then clicking it as an ascent in your RC.com record. It is misleading and inaccurate.

socalbolter

Apr 8, 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #24 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't use this feature of the site personally, so i'm not sure if i should really be commenting, but in theory i could not agree more with ronnie and jay's thoughts.

mrme

Apr 8, 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #25 of 172 (11056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hang dog means you climbed the climb. just not in the best style. when you hang dog it means you used the rope for rest at a peice of gear or bolt and then continued free climbing the rest of the route. if you don't finish the climb it is called bailing and you never sent the climb.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook