RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Partner coylec

Apr 11, 2004, 2:18 PM
Post #1 of 4 (828 views)
Shortcut

Q: Topstepping and Overhangs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

While I have read Pete's "Better Way to Topstep" and can do it on vertical terrain, I can't get to the top steps in overhangs. I can get my waist to the piece, but I can't get much further than that. What am I doing wrong?

coylec

singlespeed

Apr 11, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #2 of 4 (828 views)
Shortcut

Re: Q: Topstepping and Overhangs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man~ while i admittedly have little aid experience, i was in the ak range on an overhang hanging off a hook and having a really hard time finding the next placement (didn't know if there was one). so i started off in the second steps twisting around in space and not finding a piece. then i transferred my weight back down and put my feet in the top steps. to get my body up i did the super leg press hip pain body curl maneuver, then realized that my daisy was in too short for me to stand up (no-adjustable). so i sat back down. still twisting around under the overhang on a hook i adjusted the daisy to where i thought would be a good distance and then pulled my body in and cranked up with my legs. finally i managed to stand up in a braced position and could stop the swinging by putting my arms out on the wall. still no placements. then just before i was getting ready to transfer my weght back down again i found a loose rock (football sized), pulled it out looked at my belayer lounging on the ledge down below and let fly. it was making quite the buzz by the time it hit the glacier and really seemed to wake him up a bit. anyway there was a nice cam placement where the rock had been. anyway, i found that that little extra bit of slack was really key for getting up in the top steps. i imagine adjustable daisies would make that easier. so if you have adjustable give it a try in your garage or something and see if giving out a tiny bit o'slack helps you get higher. best of luck

lambone

Apr 12, 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #3 of 4 (828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all about the Kong Fifi, and strong thighs and abs. Having some sort of hand hold helps also.

I try not to top step on overhaning terrain unless absolutely neccesary. Doesn't seem to save that much time, and definately uses alot more energy.

timpanogos

Apr 12, 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #4 of 4 (828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As Brutus pointed out - Russian Aiders!

If you don't have these - as noted here - it's all about body tension - just like if you were freeing it.

get your gear ready before stepping up and hope it goes in quick - cause it's gonna pump you out.

The adjustable fifi will help you a bunch here for 2nd steps (ladders) as it will hold you with somewhat less body tension pumping - top steps - ouche got to move quick.

You will find about the right lenght for your fifi (2nd) and daisy (1st) to just set it before stepping up and "camming over". When it cams over it will hold alot of pressure trying to pull your harness off - pulling you into the steps. It's the pre'cam over point that is scary - once you get some tension pulling you back into your steps it will stabalize you - but you will still need lots of body tension (abs) and will need to work quickly on overhanging stuff.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook