Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ramylson

Apr 15, 2004, 8:05 PM
Post #1 of 42 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Re: RRG Numerous Car break-ins [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

In reply to:
my husband was a gear rep and years ago we had about $2k worth of gear stolen from our truck at the Red. We made a claim on our homeowners, but had a $500 deductible. (Note: homeowner's insurance and automobile insurance deductibles are seperate.) This sucked but came back to bite me in the ass years later after I had another claim on my homeowners (hail damage) and they cancelled my policy after filling that claim. I recommend saving claims for LARGE losses ($2k isn't large compared to the cost of a new roof and siding, etc.).

Right.. there are two deductibles, but most companies will view it as one occurance, where only one of the deductibles will apply (typically the larger of the two). Honestly, it just depends on the company.

Also, you hit the nail on the head regarding the homeowners claims. Homeowners has lost money for the insurance industry for a long time. This year is the first where they actually recorded a profit, and part of the reason why the insurance market has started to soften a bit. Even so, due to the harder market, companies have become much more stict with their underwriting guidelines. Meaning, people that have a lot, or more, claims end up having problems finding insurance. Most the companies we write for will allow one weather related claim, and then maybe an additional one. After that, they're going to be non-renewing the account. An agent will have some pull for you with the company, as they can argue the case. But, it will really help by going to larger deductibles on your homeowners to eliminate a lot of the "little" claims (as a savings to you as your assuming more risk, lowering the premium for the property).

hoppinbig

Apr 12, 2004, 1:20 PM
Post #2 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

RRG Numerous Car break-ins [In reply to]
Report this Post

I just got back from a trip to the red and just wanted to warn everyone about a rash of break-in's that occurred while I was there. There were 2 break-in's at Roadside last week and 3 cars got broken into at the Motherlode on Saturday. I talked to one guy who had just arrived Sat morning - he had his tent, sleeping bags and just about everything else stolen from his car.

The last I heard is that the cops caught a guy late Saturday night in an adjacent county using one of the stolen credit cards - I have no other update, maybe someone else here can add what they know.

Anyways don't leave anything in your cars, your gear is safer in your tent at Miguel's then in your car.

Sucks that there are people out there who do this kind of crap... this was my first trip to the Red and wow was it amazing. I guess as long as we are climbing in areas with a lot of poverty there will always be climber's cars getting broken into.

traddaddy

Apr 12, 2004, 1:45 PM
Post #3 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Yeah, I was at the Red this weekend too. Watched a guy putting plastic over the broken driver's side window with rolls of duct tape.
DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING OF VALUE IN YOUR CAR :!:
I've known people's cars getting broken in to for just old smelling tennis shoes and cassette tapes.
It just ain't right.

pawilkes

Apr 12, 2004, 1:58 PM
Post #4 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i just bought a car on friday and am moving down to Louisville in August for about 5 months and plan on doing lots of climbing at the RRG. i've heard that beyond leaving nothing in the car that leaving it unlocked isn't a bad idea b/c that way they hopefully will not break a window. im kind of worried about something happening. im thinking about building in a hidden lockbox in my car, a safe if you will.

bandycoot

Apr 12, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #5 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

If it happens every weekend, just get a climbing posse ready and wait for the bastard(s) and club them with Valley Giants when they show up. It's probably worth losing one day of climbing over for much peace of mind...

Go get em! :twisted:

Josh

debsanders

Apr 12, 2004, 2:17 PM
Post #6 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

dRRG sits in one of the poorest regions in our nation and some of the poorest counties in Kentucky. As such the locals steal and sale audio equipment and gear as a means of survival.

Thoughts on prevention:
- Don't have climbing stickers on your car, which means to Mr. Hillbilly come take my gear
- Remove your audio equipment, cds, and all valuables
- Leave windows rolled down or vehicle unlocked
- Leave huge guard dog in car
- Raise stink with local authorities

The area is awesome but the ever present threat of break-ins is a nuisance.

ninjatoes

Apr 12, 2004, 2:17 PM
Post #7 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

that was us putting cardboard on the window. our car was broken into on wednesday at the Lode.
I got off light with just my cds and radar detector gone, but my friends lost a lot more.
anyways, dont leave valuables in your car!
despite that, it was still an awesome time.

Partner greenspace

Apr 13, 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #8 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

saw those state troopers....looked just like the ones in the movie, 'cept larger...... :lol:
sorry about the break-in's tho. sux big time

redpiton

Apr 13, 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #9 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I don't know if I could leave my car unlocked, it just doesn't seem right.

Well, I guess neither does stealing tapes. But seriously, if they want to steal my seat lint they are going to have to break a window for it. :roll:

pawilkes

Apr 13, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #10 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

"don't know if I could leave my car unlocked, it just doesn't seem right.

Well, I guess neither does stealing tapes. But seriously, if they want to steal my seat lint they are going to have to break a window for it. "

and then you'll have to pay for a new window...

reedcrr

Apr 13, 2004, 5:33 AM
Post #11 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

This crap has been happening for years and is probably the same group of people doing these break-ins. The local cops in RRG area could catch these people but they refuse to do so. 7 years ago and again 3 years ago I was there and got my rental car broke in to, I was furious both times and went to the cops and they did nothing. I was there for another week the last time I was in Kentucky and happened to stop in to a local pawn shop and saw some of my gear. I called the cops and their advice to me was to go home and leave it alone, they refused to come out and even look in to the matter. :shock:

My opinion is the "Red" is not worth my gear coming up missing or me having to pay the deductible on another rental car. Bottm line I won't go there again. Them bastards can just rip each other off as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't be supprised if or when theses thiefs do get caught they turn out to be climbers from Kentucky.

To hell with that area :twisted: my advice is go to someplace where the locals are morally minded. Stay out of the Red! Boycott the area and they won't have anything worth value to steal!

My 2 cents!

By the way sorry Miguel...your pizza rocks and you are a very good guy! If you are going to stay at the red stay at Miguel's it's the only safe place to crash.

sportster

Apr 14, 2004, 3:00 AM
Post #12 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

i guess im just going to have to get a big a$$ pit bull and leave him in my car with my windows half down. than will teach them.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Eric

gman

Apr 14, 2004, 3:06 AM
Post #13 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
If it happens every weekend, just get a climbing posse ready and wait for the bastard(s) and club them with Valley Giants when they show up. It's probably worth losing one day of climbing over for much peace of mind...

Go get em! :twisted:

Josh

I second this. In SoCal, we had a bunch of bikes getting stolen and at the "Torque" premier (biker movie) set up the sting. Needless to say the guy will never steal another motorcycle.....

by the way, I was involved in the sting.....

redpiton

Apr 14, 2004, 3:06 AM
Post #14 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I think we all just need to watch out for each others schwag. If something doesn't look right, make it apparent that you notice them. I've got to many projects to boycott the RRG!

kalcario

Apr 14, 2004, 3:15 AM
Post #15 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Not only don't leave anything in your car, but pay cash for everything unless absolutely necessary. My checking account got cleaned out while I was there last time, maybe a coincidence but I suspect some retail clerk scam in one of those little towns...oh yeah and it just goes without saying, don't leave anything in your car, this is even more of a problem in Europe than Kentucky

badass

Apr 15, 2004, 1:09 AM
Post #16 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey was everybody at the Red this weekend. I think it is dumb to leave your doors unlocked anyone can just open the door and take a leak or worse in your car. I think the best prevention is try and cover all of your gear under an old blanket. The theives will be discouraged if they have to break into your car not knowing whether or not it will be worth the risk. It is a sad day in age when people would steal climbing gear. :(

dwise

Apr 15, 2004, 1:30 AM
Post #17 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I think the solution is a bunch o hard-pipe-hittin' rockjocks laying in the bushes ready to liberally apply some '#99 sized camalot shampoo' to Mr. soon to be living his short a$$ life in excruciating pain...(life is so much better with Pulp Fiction quotes)

Actually, is the masses unite and become a constant pain to the local John Q Laws, maybe they'll finally get off their lazy butts and pursue the criminals. I know this was an issue at Twall for a while and the local sheriff's office finally did something about it.

If the local five o doesn't budge, maybe we get a petition to the state attorney general and anyone else who will listen.

The Red is too great a place and Miguel too great a guy to boycott.

reedcrr

Apr 15, 2004, 2:12 AM
Post #18 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

badass:

Sorry but putting a blanket over your gear? Come on these guys have this place down and they know how to get in and out without causing much of a disturbance or much noise...even though in most places it is so remote it just doesn't matter anyway!

The last time I climbed there I went to the pocket wall and from the wall you are about 45-60 min away from your car and deep in to their backyard. We heard shotgun blasts all day long and just laughed it off with a little hillbilly humor. That was until I returned to my rental car and found buckshot had riddled my window on the drivers side and pretty much everything that wasn't seriously bolted down was gone! I didn't loose much stuff but the rental car company snagged me for $3500.00 damage, saying the insurance did not cover gunshot damage!

Sorry but there is now way I am going back to the Red until I see a posted sheriff's report claiming they arrested the whole group invloved. If you want to climb in the Red at least make sure that you don't leave a party stranded in a place like the pocket wall, cars have been stolen and climbers abandoned...don't let that happen! If you are the second to last one leaving wait and walk out as a group with the last group.

My 2 cents!

hippie_dreams

Apr 15, 2004, 2:16 AM
Post #19 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Some tips for the red:

-Don't leave your car unlocked
-Don't leave anything, ANYTHING visible in your car
-Do leave extra gear in your tent at Miguel's
-Watch everybody's back - never met a climber there who wasn't cool
-The local cops don't seem to like climbers too much, so don't bother with them
-Finally, by all means, if you see someone breaking into a car, beat the sh%t out of them!
Also, if you see something suspisious, go over and talk to them, find out for sure. If they give you crap, ask to see the keys of the car and if they dont' show say you'll hang out there until they get in, start it up and leave.

Don't boycott the Red man, that's sad. How could you let such a great climbing area go to waste like that?

sandy

Apr 15, 2004, 2:39 AM
Post #20 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
My opinion is the "Red" is not worth my gear coming up missing or me having to pay the deductible on another rental car. Bottm line I won't go there again. Them bastards can just rip each other off as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't be supprised if or when theses thiefs do get caught they turn out to be climbers from Kentucky.

Dude, your experiences suck for sure, but that comment is completely uncalled for. Local climbers have also been ripped off, and this is a hot topic on our local climbing forum. You visit the Red occasionally, but we have to deal with this threat all the damn time. To insinuate that it might be climbers is just wrong. We are super frustrated about this problem.

There HAVE been arrests over the years, but the thefts come in waves. Personally I think climbers should take matters into their own hands at the problem areas and ambush these phuckers, but they may have bigger guns than us...

The best advice is to leave your vehicles empty and your doors unlocked. Hopefully these lowlifes won't resort to vandalism when their efforts go 'unrewarded.'

reedcrr

Apr 15, 2004, 4:18 AM
Post #21 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Sandy:

Point taken...for all the Kentucky climbers out there who are not thiefs sorry for the generalization...for those of you who are, just wait your time is coming and these boys are going to catch up with you...and no I don't mean the cops.

So Sandy, if arrests have been made have you seen a drop in the crime? And by waves what do you mean? How often?

At your next meeting you could inform people that if this is not ratified RRG will get blacklisted by climbers, this means even less money in to the local economy. I mean if you think about it why should a climber spend the money and vacation time that they worked so hard to get just to watch it go up in smoke at a crag. This is not a small isolated problem we are talking about here, break-in's at RRG gorge have been a common trait since the first bolt went in. Somewhere there is a lot of stolen gear being purchased! Something has to be done! A previous post suggested contacting the district attorney for the state...has this been attempted?

My 2 cents!

sandbag

Apr 15, 2004, 5:26 AM
Post #22 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

How about this:

Loose a few rather pissed off Eastern Diamond back Rattlers(indigenous to the area) and see what happens. And maybe a couple of Water Mocassins, teach them there hill people a little backwoods justice ....mmmhmmmm

shank

Apr 15, 2004, 1:25 PM
Post #23 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
but they may have bigger guns than us...

I wouldn't bet on it :lol:

crankingclimber

Apr 15, 2004, 2:10 PM
Post #24 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I was at the Red for the weekend as well and felt really sorry for all the people who had their stuff stolen. What a way to put a damper on a trip.

That being said, a good way to protect your car, both at the Red or anywhere it has a chance of getting broken into, is to buy one of those little red flashing LED lights that are designed to look like the flashing light of an armed car alarm. A would be burglar can't tell the difference, and quite often the threat of an alarm blaring might be enough to make them leave your car alone. Other than that, don't leave ANYTHING in your car, park in areas where there's likely to be people passing by often (this isn't always possible, and as the Roadside shows, doesn't always help), leave stuff at Miguels, car pool out to the crags in the biggest piece of crap car that the climbers hitting that particular crag have, and finally, beat the ever living shit out of anyone you do manage to catch (although watch out for those shotguns, that would not be pretty).

Will

PS Also building a safe can help. One way to do this is to buy a beefy metal toolbox from a hardware store, cut a slot in it, as well as two corresponding holes in some metal part of your car. Insert a U bolt into the holes, poke the bolt through the slot in the box and put a lock on it. Put gear inside, and then lock the toolbox from the outside. This way if you ever want to remove the box all you have to do is open it and unlock the lock on the U bolt and slide the whole thing out.

rltodd00

Apr 15, 2004, 2:15 PM
Post #25 of 42 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
but they may have bigger guns than us...

I wouldn't bet on it :lol:

You got that right.

Rob

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook