RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

blacksamba

Apr 12, 2002, 9:30 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

ask Dr Piton various assorted things
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dear Pete,

I have been thinking about the wall flower and thought maybe there's a better way. Have you seen:

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?m=1119&f=50&b=0

pgdn twice and read Erik's post (or read it all it's very funny)

also

how do you permenantly avoid factor 1 falls (I have an idea but I want to hear your wisdom)

ben

[ This Message was edited by: blacksamba on 2002-04-12 14:41 ]

krustyklimber

Apr 13, 2002, 1:20 AM
Post #2 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

ask Dr Piton various assorted things [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It sounds good but a wallflower is $free$ and can be legally burned, whereas erik must carry it all down to the base and put it in a dumpster, which is then driven out of the park, and dumped into one of this country's, already too full, landfills. It's not any better environmentally, that's just an illusion.
It's the wallflower for me I still think it is the "better way"!

Jeff

blacksamba

Apr 13, 2002, 5:40 AM
Post #3 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my hopes of being a greenie are crashing in flames

i too feel held back by my crapping technique and alas the wall flower sounds too...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i have drinken too much fermented spririts and should stop typing as i am developing a serious rightward lean

cherio mates
ben

paintinhaler

Apr 13, 2002, 7:11 AM
Post #4 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not trying to be mean but Im getting sick of ask passthepiton this and that. Know what I'm saying? I will just read a book or ask someone I know. Your kool and all, but I'm just speaking my mind. :

kman

Apr 13, 2002, 7:53 AM
Post #5 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice link.

crazywacky

Apr 13, 2002, 8:52 AM
Post #6 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That was a reaaalllyy funny thread..

passthepitonspete

Apr 13, 2002, 1:25 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear Wes,

You write,

Quote:I'm not trying to be mean but I'm getting sick of ask passthepiton (sic)this and that. Know what I'm saying? I will just read a book or ask someone I know. Your kool and all, but I'm just speaking my mind.

Speaking your mind can be a very good thing, as it tells us exactly how you're thinking.

The reason people ask me questions is because I KNOW STUFF.

The kind of stuff I write here is for the most part cutting edge big wall and aid climbing technology originally written for RC.com.

Much of it has never before been published.

You can ask all the people you know the same questions that people ask me here, Wes, and if you are fortunate enough to bump into one of the very small handful of people in the world who know as much as I do about big wall and aid climbing systems, then you might actually get an answer you can use.

For instance, I spent about four hours the other night writing this post about How To Rack Your Rack.

This information is the best ever published on the subject.

I could say, "it is without doubt the most comprehensive and exhaustive analysis of how to rack your rack, since very little on the topic has ever before been published, and you could spend all your time researching every word of mountaineering, rock climbing, and big wall climbing literature ever published in the history of the world, and not come close to finding anything as useful, informative or accurate as my post, and that you're actually pretty lucky to have a guy like me who answers questions like this for free, because in my real job I charge people a couple hundred bucks an hour, and that by taking this information with you on the wall and doing things the way I suggest, you will save yourself endless heartache, and keep yourself more organized than you ever hoped, imagined or dreamed would be possible, and that the information I provide here is incredibly helpful..."

but that would be redundant.

Incidentally, if you are looking for a book on big wall climbing that will answer the kind of questions that people ask me, then you can check out the reference from Pianomahnn here. Look for the nine word response directly above the advertisement, and read Addiroids' note below it.

I'm on the road just now, and will try to have a look tonight at the link supplied at the top regarding the wall flower.

As for an appropriate response when you feel "sick" of reading questions addressed to me, you should Ask Jean Paul Sartre instead.

"On a toujours la choix,"

and if you do not like hanging around here in the Aid Climbing Forum, then you can go elsewhere where you may feel happier.

Cheers,

Dr. Piton

climb512

Apr 13, 2002, 2:08 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People may ask you stuff. You may know stuff. You would be so much more usefull if you would just let some of the ego out of your posts and get to the point. As you are now, you come across as no more than just a big old wind bag.

mpepe

Apr 13, 2002, 3:41 PM
Post #9 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jeff-

Have you actually used the wall flower or just thought about it? I have, and while ptpp may get by with it, imho it is not the "better way". How many times have you actually topped out, gathered wood, lit a fire and burned your flower? This is all assuming that your bags actually stayed intact and made it to the top. From experience: if the route is at all less than verticle than your bags will tear and you will lose everything. The best way I have found is to do your duty in a plastic produce bag and drop it into a dry bag(that of course hangs under your haul bag and also contains all your other trash) that has openings on both ends. That way after you empty it out you can hose the sucker out. Most dry bags are made out of vinal(cheaper) or urathane(pricier) coated nylon. Ring any bells? I'd like to hear your experience with the wall flower, since mine wasn't so good.

Partner missedyno

Apr 13, 2002, 4:02 PM
Post #10 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, that was fun to read... have to admit i may have learned something...

whether or not i wanted to... i dunno....

krustyklimber

Apr 14, 2002, 7:51 AM
Post #11 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mpepe,
So far, all of the walls I have done were either done when you still tossed it off, or were short enough for me to "wait it out", so the only experience I have hauling poop has been someone elses, on very steep walls. And I had to rappel out of stink range, when they opened the container to put their "business" away. I can't imagine opening your garbage to get rid of anything, I'd end up with my pockets stuffed with garbage, and the whole show would grind to a halt (so I could run away) everytime you opened it.

I just meant that between the two choices, Erik's and Pete's, I would rather go with the wallflower. And I didn't think it would require any wood to burn it, as you do have plenty of paper.

Just a litte more "food for thought".

Jeff

Wes, If it makes you feel any better you can "Ask Krustyklimber" and I'll tell you "Gee, I don't know, let me ask Pete"
And Jay, at least Pete doesn't deny being an egomaniac, you seem to have no self esteem problems yourself. At least Pete can spell good, even if he writes in Canadican.

passthepitonspete

Apr 14, 2002, 1:59 PM
Post #12 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As I have written previously, the wall flower method suffers from three drawbacks:

Wind, rain and slabs.

I think I've pretty much licked the wind problem - a cupfull of kitty litter in the bottom of the bag, and wrapping the bag tightly renders it more or less stone-like.

If it were to rain for a long time, then it might not be a pretty sight. But when it dangles ten metres beneath, I don't care [too].

On my ascent of Jolly Roger, the angle was sometimes less than vertical, and the wall flower bags had holes worn into them. They still burned fine, though I had to burn the cord, too, since it had become a bit soiled.

Quote: How many times have you actually topped out, gathered wood, lit a fire and burned your flower?

I first used the Wall Flower method at Chongo's insistence on my ascent of Iron Hawk in 1997. I've used it ever since, so I guess the answer would be NINE.

Worked every time.

Egomaniacally yours,

Dr. Evil,

Wait! Lemme try that again....

I am Dr. Piton,

and I do not take any crap [down from the wall.]

Sheesh.

Oh yeah, and I hope I never said I could permanently avoid factor one falls - if you know how, please tell me! I'm pretty sure I wrote "factor two" - if I wrote "one", it was a typo. Oops.

Geez, and I still haven't even clicked on that link. Later.....

milesdesbrie

Apr 15, 2002, 10:32 PM
Post #13 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll weigh in here as a fan of Pete's posts, both in style and substance. He passes along a lot of good info in a surprisingly straightforward way for all his verbal flourishes. Mileage obviously varies but that's my $.02.

radistrad

Apr 15, 2002, 11:02 PM
Post #14 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PTPP keep up the good work!

paintinhaler

Apr 17, 2002, 1:17 PM
Post #15 of 15 (4211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Passthe - oh forget it. Anyway you know alot about bigwall, and to tell you the truth I give you people major props. Living on the wall craping eating reading. You people are nutz in a good way. I wish I could get tha nutz to do that. Remember no skateboarding, u can break arms. And not climb for a long time. I will figure something out. Pass you will live long and stay strong. that rimes. i gtg my rm isgetting tired..

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook