Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

outdoormikeg

Apr 13, 2004, 6:07 PM
Post #76 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Re: noobies: outdoor climbing is dangerous [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK I told myself that I wans't going to stoke the fire but we were talking about this exact topic the other day while out doing some climbing (both sport and trad)...

First of all...it's all climbing...as long as you're having fun it's all good...

Secondly, I make it a point to help out others as much as as possible...

I pointed out to a friend the other day that she wasn't dropping her brake hand between pulls of the rope while the climber was stationary. How many people were taught that?? It's not like the climber is going to die if you don't do this becuase many people lock off when the climber falls (and if they don't they don't have partners very long) but isn't a bit safer if you are always locked off unless the rope is moving??

I think it all boils down to how you handle the situation as is with all situations in life. If you are a di** about offering advice then sure people are going to resist your advice but if you are nice about it and don't degrade the person that you are offering advice to, they are usually more receptive.

OK I could continue on forever about this quoting Buddhist scripture and what not but I think it boils down to a simple quote:

"You get more bees with sugar than you do with vinegar."

Climb safe everyone and if someone does offer some advice, please think about what they are saying before jumping to conclusions...not everyone is trying to be a di** about it...

stellanole

Apr 13, 2004, 6:27 PM
Post #77 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You become not a noob when you are not an ass and dont gloat about your own superiority, and help others advance to not noob status. But this whole thread is really about why you climb and who you climb for.

I climb to share with a community of pretty cool folks, not alienate people who could use getting thrown out of their 9 to 5 lifestyle and get away from the xbox for a while.

well put. if you want respect as a climber SHUT YOUR WORD HOLE!!! if you don't care about being respected at what you think you do best, than continue biatching about how much better you are and how much more you know than the 'not worthy' noobs. you are obviously compensating for something -- perhaps dignity? there is something incredibly INSPIRING and motivating about humility.

bflank

Apr 13, 2004, 7:33 PM
Post #78 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With regard to giving and taking advice I am reminded of two situations at the crag.

First involved me climbing real easy stuff and practicing setting gear. Being a trad beginner I had set a cam in a vertical crack, oriented horizontally out from the crack. Yeah I know it seems obvious now, but.... A much more experience climber nearby looked over, saw my stupid error and said "You probably already know this but if that cam takes a fall it may rotate out. You'll do better if you orient it in the direction of the fall". I allowed as how, yep, yep, I sure did know that and just forgot and thanked him kindly for pointing it out.

Second case, same crag, much later. Climber god wannabee is teaching first timers how to climb TR. We noticed that they were using 1" tubular webbing as swiss seats rather than harnesses. OK, not very comfortable but not unsafe either. Except - they were tying the webbing with a square knot. My partner walked over and mentioned nicely and politely that the wannabee might should not use a square knot to tie webbing. Wannabee says "I know, we really should use a water knot, but this is just as good." My partner shrugs and walks away.

The point of both of these stories is that you're more likely to get your message across if you don't seem to be on the attack - and that sometimes the noob in question just isn't going to hear you no matter how nice (or nasty) you are. Of course if the object is demonstrating how much smarter or more sperienced you are rather than to do some good then rant on.

itakealot

Apr 14, 2004, 3:47 AM
Post #79 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When you have carried an injured climber out, then you will understand.

WHen youy have gotten YOUR share of happy go lucky Newbies out of scrapes unharmed, then you will understand.

When you realize that CLIMBIN can be very dangerous and that some people would rather you NOT hurt yourself doing it, then you will understand.

When you have tried to correct seriously unsafe practices and been told to fugg off or mind your own business, or just been ignored by dumbasses determined to tempt fate, then you will understand.

But for now, you do not understand.

Great point(s)

ebonezercabbage

Apr 14, 2004, 4:28 AM
Post #80 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

" Also a few of them light up and smoke right there"

Hey, people smoke, get over it, as for the rest, i agree. I smoke, and one of the most rewarding things after a good climb is a nice cig.

ebonezercabbage

Apr 14, 2004, 4:29 AM
Post #81 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unless of course it was pot, which belongs nowhere near a rope

itakealot

Apr 14, 2004, 4:56 AM
Post #82 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
" Also a few of them light up and smoke right there"

Hey, people smoke, get over it, as for the rest, i agree. I smoke, and one of the most rewarding things after a good climb is a nice cig.

These guys were chain smoking.
Remember that your right to smoke should not infringe on other's rights not to inhale your smoke.
I have the right to fart, but don't fart around people. Dig?

cratercreator

Apr 15, 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #83 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

is this about climbing or smoking.
indoor climbing no smoking (unless otherwise indicated)
outdoors spark it up man

I can see it bothering you if your standing next to them.
Solution: don't stand next to them

otherwise you really need more to do, cause you got too much time to..... bitch

not an opinion, but an observation.

P.S. pick your butt up when your done.

flashsixteen

Apr 16, 2004, 4:53 PM
Post #84 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That is why I have a my signature, I correct them, politely. I help them because I once didn't know any better when I thought I did. I talked to "experienced" climbers and thought I knew all the stuff, but later found out I didn't.

cragmaster

Apr 16, 2004, 5:57 PM
Post #85 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quit being a little bitch.

brutusofwyde

Apr 16, 2004, 7:20 PM
Post #86 of 86 (8515 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
unless of course it was pot, which belongs nowhere near a rope

Apparently someone who has never tied into a hemp rope.

:D

I am a noob, but I thought I'd toss in my few cents anyhow.

If I see someone doing something that I consider overtly unsafe, whether I say something or not depends on the situation. Soloing up to a second bolt: Hmmm. I once saw Yabo solo Spider Line at Josh to throw a top rope on something else for his friends.

Then again, even though I'm inexperienced, if I see someone with their locking belay carabiner unlocked and held partly open by the belay loop while belaying someone, I would probably ask them if they knew their locker was unlocked and open.

I stay away from crowded crags. For that matter I even stay away from climbing gyms during busy times. Problem with noise level, problem with crowded routes solved.

Brutus

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook