RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

gogo

Apr 9, 2004, 4:21 AM
Post #1 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Good Footwork
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey, does anyone out there have any good tips for developing footwork? I think I really need to work on mine, as my climbing style is becoming too much strength/not enough technique. Mine isn't that bad, but I know that right now it is the only thing that is holding me back from signficantly harder problems. I've been told to climb slabs but I don't have many where I'm at, and the ones I do have I have done to death.

So, any good tips (outdoor or indoor)?

Thanks,
Mike

scclimber

Apr 9, 2004, 4:29 AM
Post #2 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Re: Good Footwork [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when climbing, place your feet where you want them the first time. don't drag them behind on the way to the placement. get in the habit of not moving your feet once you put them down. that will make you put them on the best part of the hold the first time.

climbinfroiprocks

Apr 9, 2004, 4:39 AM
Post #3 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a really good way to practice overhanging footwork is to get on an overhang where your feet cut easily. Grab two holds and hang there like you feet just cut. Then practice trowing your foot to a hold and holding it. This is called "target practice." They do it at my gym

solarain

Apr 9, 2004, 5:45 AM
Post #4 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try a game of "silent feet" with a partner or on your own at the gym. The idea is to make every foot placement intentional and solid not making a sound on the wall. Its really helped balance out my climbing.

mountainstyle

Apr 9, 2004, 6:25 AM
Post #5 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does your gym have any slab routes? If so get on a moderate or easy route, hold a tennis ball in each hand, and use your hands only as balance. This will force you to focus on your feet. I know is sounds absurd, but I have seen jr. comp teams train this way. Good luck!

anykineclimb

Apr 9, 2004, 6:26 AM
Post #6 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

look at your feet as much as you can. when placing them look to see you're precicely placing it where you want it.
saves your sole and rand too to have good foot work.

daigo_leow

Apr 9, 2004, 10:47 AM
Post #7 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if u happen to be at the local rock gym, u can try not allowing, for example ur left foot to step onto any hold while on a particular route. thus u learn to smear better. then switch to ur right foot. it helped me better my footwork and also learn to try different movements.

zozo

Apr 9, 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #8 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Traverse and boulder, boulder and traverse, then traverse some more.

sgorman

Apr 9, 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #9 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't claim to have great footwork myself, but playing a game of "stick" with footholds instead of handholds seems to be beneficial. its fun too, and different

overlord

Apr 9, 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #10 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOOK at where you put your feet. and look when youre putting them there. be precise.

andy_reagan

Apr 9, 2004, 2:07 PM
Post #11 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dismember your legs and you won't have to worry about footwork.

scracus

Apr 9, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #12 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Work your way through the grades on overhanging problems with only campus moves. If you get to V6/V7 without any finger injuries you won't need footwork anymore!

gogo

Apr 10, 2004, 4:07 AM
Post #13 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool, thanks for all the training ideas. Let's see if my footwork improves now.
Aside from that, I'm in a good mood because I just got back from Big Bend, UT from bouldering all day, and had two V4 onsights and one V5 onsight. LIG.

Thanks,
Mike

jgill

Apr 10, 2004, 8:22 PM
Post #14 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No-hands problems are good, although they are better for balance training. Forty years ago they were an integral part of bouldering. 8)

curt

Apr 15, 2004, 5:00 AM
Post #15 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boulder or climb with someone else who has really good footwork. Then try to apply what you saw them doing to your own climbing. I had the really good fortune to climb with John Stannard extensively when I was a n00b (and he has the best climbing technique of anyone I have ever seen) and benefitted much by trying to emulate him.

Curt

sandbag

Apr 15, 2004, 5:12 AM
Post #16 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, go play on stuff like this:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=23241

itakealot

Apr 15, 2004, 6:19 AM
Post #17 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stop Climbing in the Gym. Most Gym routes are contrived and force you to use your arms.

Be deliberate with your feet. POINT them into the wall and get on your big toe and do not edge!
In other words, force your arms to be straight, then use your peripheral vision and look down and place your feet. Once you have moved your feet up and they are solid with your arms straight, stand up.
Your body should look like a frog while doing this. and remember to keep your buttox and hips from sticking out.

You will know when you are doing this correctly when your calves burn and big toe aches.

Oh yeah, take a look at some of the pics in climbing mags. There is always one pic of someone looking down to spot their feet.

ramylson

Apr 15, 2004, 5:24 PM
Post #18 of 18 (3458 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Stop Climbing in the Gym. Most Gym routes are contrived and force you to use your arms.

Depends on what gym your climbing at.. some are better then others. Then again, not every route outdoors will have the perfect feet. Sometimes a lot of things are contrived, but that "problem solving" and strength is the magic of climbing (IMO).

Anyway, start with what was previously mentioned regarding climbing routes where you soley pay attention to your footwork. This should be done on routes you can typically on-site, or even a grade or two beneath that. Be very specific and purposeful for where you move/place your feet. After a bit of that, go through your typical climbing, still keeping in mind that you should have "quiet" feet. Route difficulty should be near your limit. Finally, before you give up and go home for the evening, go through and work a circuit with all of the problems you started with. These are problems that you've done before, know, and would typically warm up on. Once again, at your on-site level or a few grade below that. Once again, focus on your foot work specifically (you know you can already do the problems, and the hold associated with that problem. So, there's little for you to "worry" about). Be specific with your movements again. Also, when I mean circuit, I mean going through all of those problems one right after the other. Meaning, when you finish a problem, you're already going on and starting the next one.

A nice side effect to doing all of this, is that you're going to be working on your power endurance, as well as "calming" yourself and keeping good footwork when you get pumped on a route. Typically, when people get pumped, they really start to focus on pulling with their arms, and their footwork goes right out the window. By doing what was previously mentioned, will definitely help you combat that.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook