Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
A SIGN of bad things....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

pullonthis

Apr 16, 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #1 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

A SIGN of bad things....  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Birdsboro)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I was at Birdsboro today for the first time in about a year (beautiful day by the way!), and on my way in noticed a big green sign with cryptic markings of the route names, location, and grade. Who's idea was this?? To me, it makes the area seem almost like a gym, it's so commercialized it seems. And the routes don't even seem to be accurate on the sign! This is assuming that the database descriptions are accurate (which is what I've always used and they seem to be). But calling Force Meter "Face O Meter" and saying it's a 5.10 is a little ridiculous, and there's plenty of other discrepancies on there.

I guess my questions are how did this sign come about, who put it up, and do people think that the grades marked on the sign are more accurate than the database here?? Just surprised me to see it there walking in....

jxl914

Apr 28, 2004, 9:07 PM
Post #2 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Re: A SIGN of bad things.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree it is a little wierd, I was there like two weeks ago. I did some alternate start to a 5.8 that was listed as a .10 which seemed a little steep, maybe a .9. It is an old quarry, so I don't mind the sign. I just assumed some local climbers put it up.

gblauer

Apr 28, 2004, 9:15 PM
Post #3 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This sign has been there for quite some time. In fact, some of the names of the climbs are incorrect.

be careful at birdsboro...the rock can break...where a helmet and belayers...don't tie down, you may have to dodge large chunks of rock.

quickclips

Apr 28, 2004, 9:25 PM
Post #4 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That terrible...tear it down.

jimdavis

Jun 11, 2004, 3:30 AM
Post #5 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've got a frickin pump station and a huge metal fence around the water down there. You've got blasting about .25 miles away...and your compaining about a sign!?!

It's there to help people, considering there is no guide book as far as I know. Thats where a lot of people go climbing for the first time outside anyways.

We could pull the bolts too if you want.

rwaltermyer

Jul 7, 2004, 7:21 PM
Post #6 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For my understanding those rating may be the "intial" rating when the climb first went up. Since then rock breakage has altered these routes...some for the good, others for the worse. Those ratings just haven't "evolved" with the climbs. But its gets you in the ballpark.

Plus, it helps those unfamilar.

asandh

Jul 8, 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #7 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

Partner coldclimb

Jul 8, 2004, 1:01 AM
Post #8 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
and do people think that the grades marked on the sign are more accurate than the database here??

I am not from where ever you are talking about, and don't know the area.

But would like to comment on the above quote:

don't assume that anything in this web site's database in any way represents any kind of authority on ratings, names, or what ever.
The entries from this database come from many many people, and lots of them are just guessing or have just decided to take it upon themselves to change local history by making up something different than the actual local facts. I am saying this because it is quite the case relative to some of my local areas.

Take this database as a first step in information and not as authority.

Likewise, there's no reason at all to assume the information on this site is innaccurate. :)

asandh

Jul 8, 2004, 1:29 AM
Post #9 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

rwaltermyer

Jul 8, 2004, 10:31 AM
Post #10 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the "out-of-state" 2 cents guys. But I think we're plenty capable and fully aware of those considerations.

also, having the rating in electronic format actually allow for ratings to flux with the evolution of the climb. Of course there is no voting system on here. But I'd hope that we're all competent enough that if someone feels that a rating should change, it could be considered via a thread and a consensus taken.

cadreamin

Aug 20, 2004, 5:50 PM
Post #11 of 11 (5232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The guy from wisconsin says "pull it down"?????
I'm sure he's very in touch with the delicate access at the quarry.
If it stops someone from getting in over their head (which you certainly can there) I am all for it. I am happy to say that I was wrong when I predicted years ago that someone would likely get hurt and eliminate legal access. If you climb there and dislike it so much...just don't go anymore!
There is always other local areas like ????????????????????????????
Get my point. There are people who developed the area by putting in their own time and effort, and their own ratings. Be thankful its a climbing resource in SE PA. If you want changes there get involved on the inside and don't just complain.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook