Forums: Climbing Information: Injury Treatment and Prevention:
"Anchor Sling Breaks, Climber Plummets..."
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

blocx

Apr 17, 2004, 5:19 AM
Post #1 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

"Anchor Sling Breaks, Climber Plummets..."  (North_America: United_States: Utah: St__George: Crawdad_Canyon: Cartoon_Crag)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all, just received the latest NZOIA Quaterly newsletter (March 2004) which detailed an interesting article (by Mark Jones) analyzing the cause and effect of an accident that occurred recently in NZ. The accident involved the rupture of a 25mm tubular sling used in a top roped set up. This article throws into serious doubt the capabilities of a single sling to hold the forces generated by a falling top-roped climber. Exploding that myth that slings are infallible, and making poignantly clear the reasons for replacing all taped sling anchors with fixed installations or chain. If you would like to receive a copy of this article send a request to climb@blocx.com with your email/contact details. BE SURE to clear some space in your mailbox as the article is 5 scanned pages (jpeg) with a total file size of 2.5MB.

boz84

Apr 17, 2004, 7:13 AM
Post #2 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Re: "Anchor Sling Breaks, Climber Plummets..." [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not having read the article, thus not having a totally valid opinion on the subject, Ill say this:

Sounds like the anchor was badly set up (no duh eh?).

The climber risked a fall on one piece of gear, without redundency you are flirting with danger, because given the right circumstances, anything can break.

A biner gate can slap open, seriously weaking it, or be crossloaded.

Slings can be deteriorated by weather, sun, and its weakness may not be readily apparant.

Back up EVERYTHING, its not tricky, and theres no excuse, especially on TR. The excue that TR generates less force is STUPID. You have the time to set bomber anchors, so DO SO. Do it Right the first time, EVERY TIME.

micahmcguire

Apr 17, 2004, 10:33 AM
Post #3 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a friend who is responsible for breaking his girlfriends's back. He stole a bunch of gear from his older brother, including a sling that was marked with duct tape. Well, it turns out that the duct tape was no mark, it was actually holding the sling together. This was not a sling meant for climbing, he had converted it into a cheap rifle sling, but my friend didn't realize it. Needless to say, it broke. Idiot. I no longer climb with this pogue. Just thought I'd share that.

However, all in all, I have had no problems with properly cared-for slings. They tend to be very, very strong.

And whats-his-face above me is right, On TR, there is no excuse for not setting up a backup. If you have time to set a TR, you have time to clip a quickie backup into the anchor. May as well, right?

Partner bouldertom

Apr 17, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #4 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This article throws into serious doubt the capabilities of a single sling to hold the forces generated by a falling top-roped climber.

I don't think the majority of the climbing community ever thought that a single sling was capable for toprope.

braaaaaaaadley

Apr 17, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #5 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But we still take 20+ ft. whippers on draws and trad draws which are made out of what?... and you don't see them going snap very often. Normally slings will hold, and if they fail its your own fault for not taking the time to build a redundent anchor period.

corpse

Apr 17, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #6 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use slings all the time in my anchors. I cinch/wrap them around smaller trees, or use them to extend an anchor for a piece of pro. the yates rabbit ears, which were made for doing quick/easy anchors, is the same stuff as slings. Also for comparison, my slings are rated as 22kn, my pro doesn't come close.

In reply to:
I don't think the majority of the climbing community ever thought that a single sling was capable for toprope.

Your right - sling or otherwise, most ppl shouldn't be using a single anything for a top rope.

dontfall

Apr 17, 2004, 8:31 PM
Post #7 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

dontfall moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dontfall moved this thread from Regional Discussions to Injuries & Accidents.

c_kryll

Apr 17, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #8 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The new issue of R&I has a good article on the stress loads applied to TR anchors. They tested a 200lbs climber using a static belay to take some of the variables out and then let him fall with 35.5 feet of rope for each test. The first test was with no slack given ie. a nice tight belay, and the loads were around 750lbs on the anchor. Another test gave enough slack for the climber to fall 5 feet. This test caused the loads to be around 1400lbs or so. Not sure if this affected the accident but it should be a nice reminder for those "lazy belayers" to keep up with the slack as it could cause excess stress on your TR anchor.

Chris

reprieve

Apr 19, 2004, 1:40 PM
Post #9 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, who uses only one anchor point on a top rope?

And when it comes to the strength of slings....out of my whole rack - biners, draws, rope, etc... - the pieces of equipment with highest strength rating are my slings.

dirtineye

Apr 20, 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #10 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
This article throws into serious doubt the capabilities of a single sling to hold the forces generated by a falling top-roped climber.

So thwn are you saying that in NZ they like to go with onme anchor? Line bouldertom says, one sling is not usually considered to be enough.

meataxe

Apr 20, 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #11 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Would I be redundant to mention the importance of redundancy?

blocx

Apr 20, 2004, 1:09 AM
Post #12 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This post was never ment to be a forum topic of debate, but rather an offer to anyone who would like to read the article in question. However since it has drawn so much discussion allow me to elaborate a little.
The article title "Anchor Sling Breaks, Climber Plummets..." is a exact copy of the title of the printed original. However the climber did not plummet far, in agreement with many of your comments, a second anchor had been established that arrested the fall. The comment
In reply to:
" This article throws into serious doubt the capabilities of a single sling to hold the forces generated by a falling top-roped climber.
does not insinuate or condone the use of a single sling for anchor. Given that the sling in question was only 3 months old, later testing on an undamaged part of the sling demonstarted failure at 12kn at one of the knots. So what the article is really about is "is it possible for a top roped climber to generate 12kn of force?". Again...the article is 5 pages long so Im not going to dictate it all here for you, if you want to read it send an email to the address in the first window.

tedc

Apr 20, 2004, 6:09 PM
Post #13 of 13 (6720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Am I the ONLY person who bothered to read the article? :roll:
Anyway, don't bother. Sufices to say that the climber had a "sling-shot" belay (Gri-Gri) from the bottom on a static line and a "back-up" top belay (rope type not specified) from a second anchor. Both belayers had let at least 4M of slack build up when the climber fell.
4M Fall on static rope. :evil: with slingshot belay. Yea. the sling broke. :roll:
Article should have been titled "Twin Belay Morrons Nearly Kill a Guy"

Oh yea the climber weighed nearly 300lbs.(130Kg) (Comments reserved).

Group Darwin Award (honerable mention due to survival of victim).

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook