Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
Sewn Aiders VS making Aiders with Webbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Partner tattooed_climber

Apr 17, 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #1 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Sewn Aiders VS making Aiders with Webbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm curious if anyone makes their own??, 50% of the time when i'm bored at my house and if i'm not working on my Woody outside, i'm tying something, webbing or cord. and afew times i've make aiders from webbing for simple mountaineering in the summer.

just wondering if anyone uses their "own" for aid climbing? or as an alpine aider or just screwing around with webbing for fun????

atg200

Apr 17, 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #2 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sewn Aiders VS making Aiders with Webbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nope. the knots hurt your feet if you spend any appreciable amount of time in them.

epic_ed

Apr 18, 2004, 5:30 AM
Post #3 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Only if I could make them better than Yates.

bubba

Apr 18, 2004, 5:43 AM
Post #4 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made a pair of aiders myself. Not because I was bored, but because I didn't want to shell out 80 bucks if I wasn't sure I wanted to aid climb more than once.
And I didn't find that the knots hurt my feet while wearing shoes/boots. :roll:

smithclimber

Apr 18, 2004, 6:08 AM
Post #5 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can tie your own aiders from webbing and if you do it right the knots shouldn't be in your way. This is a good idea for really only 2 reasons.

1. You aren't sure that aid climbing is for you and you just want to sample it with as little expense as necessary (or you do like aid climbing and are SUPER cheap). The homemade variety are never quite as comfy (nor do the steps stay open as well) as commercially made ones.

2. After having practiced how to make your own, you now have the knowledge in case you ever have to make a set up on the fly (dropped or forgot one of your sewn ones, friend needs a pair to do a wall, you unexpectedly need to aid a section on a climb you intended to free and you don't have sewn ones, etc.)

If you do like aiding, and aren't SUPER cheap, you will almost surely want sewn aiders.

The sewn ones are:
- lighter (due to fewer knots and less material)
- less bulky (no knots)
- more expensive, but steps stay open better (due to stiffer steps)

madyak

Apr 19, 2004, 4:19 AM
Post #6 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're confident with a sewing machine and have access to one that can sew through multiple layers of webbing, you can make your own quite easily. I took my old aiders and rather than replacing them, picked up identical materials and joyfully copied them, only difference is I made the steps a little stiffer. So far four years of use and no problems. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that my mom is a seamstress. :)

maculated

Apr 19, 2004, 5:09 AM
Post #7 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have some homemade aiders that I bought off of someone on this site. They are stitched and ladder-style and I LOVE THEM.

andypro

Apr 19, 2004, 5:57 AM
Post #8 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you're confident with a sewing machine and have access to one that can sew through multiple layers of webbing, you can make your own quite easily. I took my old aiders and rather than replacing them, picked up identical materials and joyfully copied them, only difference is I made the steps a little stiffer. So far four years of use and no problems. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that my mom is a seamstress. :)

Well...my moms not a seamstress by trade, but She does have one of those old school beefy sewing machines (they dont amke em like they used to :wink: ) that I used ot bartack my own aiders. They havn't ripped yet...but I woudln't want to trust my life to them holding much more than a menial bounce test. I like em though. I dont still use them..I made them when I was like 16 and about 75 pounds lighter...but they worked.

karlbaba

Apr 19, 2004, 6:04 AM
Post #9 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI In a pinch you can tie a cordalette into an aider in about 2 minutes. It'll get you out of a pinch.

Tie an overhand to make the small loop for the biner and then tie more overhands every 18 inches or so. Just pull a little extra off to one side before each knot to make the foot loop stay open when a lower loop is weighted.

peace

Karl

far_east_climber

Apr 19, 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #10 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Tie an overhand to make the small loop for the biner and then tie more overhands every 18 inches or so. Just pull a little extra off to one side before each knot to make the foot loop stay open when a lower loop is weighted.

Yeah that's what I just did aswell. I've only used them twice though. How do your homemade's hold up? how many feet of webbing in total did you use for each aider?

Partner tattooed_climber

Apr 19, 2004, 5:45 PM
Post #11 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
how many feet of webbing in total did you use for each aider?

for the tied ones i make, and the way i tied 'em, about 6 metres (i think :? )

cordalette? i've make the steps for ascender with cord before, used webbing to, i 'just' tried it with cordalette, and this is at least for me, but when i climb, i have more webbing in my rack than cordalette(chalkbag belt, 2-3 prusiks, 2x 4 metre lengths of cord for ancors)..i usually have alot more webbing, and not to mention in longer lengths than cord (longest cord is about 4m for me)...both are basicly disposable and webbing is alittle bit cheaper for my dirtbag ass

...but ya, cord is easier to tie...webbing is nicer to use though

Partner coylec

Apr 19, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #12 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I made a pair of aiders myself. Not because I was bored, but because I didn't want to shell out 80 bucks if I wasn't sure I wanted to aid climb more than once.
And I didn't find that the knots hurt my feet while wearing shoes/boots. :roll:

Check out Fish Products: $47/pair. a little more if you want loops at the top. Quality stuff.

coylec

Partner tim

Apr 19, 2004, 6:02 PM
Post #13 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're going to sew your own aiders, at least sew some Russian aiders. It will be hard to improve upon the price/performance ratio of regular Fish aiders otherwise.

This goes double if you haven't logged enough time in regular aiders to know why hand-tied aiders suck on nuts.

lucas_timmer

May 6, 2005, 2:27 PM
Post #14 of 14 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wanted to buy a pair of aiders but they don't sell 'm in the Netherlands(no aiding in West-Europe) and the American stores don't ship to Europe.That sucks :?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook