Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

far_east_climber

Apr 18, 2004, 3:16 AM
Post #1 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

People cutting lines
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have wondered about this. Does anybody ever cut ropes whilst people are abseiling down (for example). It's always been in the back of my mind about some sadistic freak coming along and cutting my rope. There was a man in the UK that cut his 'friends' parachute lines. Cut both the main and the reserve. To me that is more sick than you everyday shoot/stab murder. So, just curious, has this ever happened or have you ever wondered?

itakealot

Apr 18, 2004, 3:24 AM
Post #2 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Re: People cutting lines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One time at a top-roping wall some kids were starting to take an anchor system apart while there was a climber on belay.
But besides that you might want to see a shrink if this is an issue.

innominato

Apr 18, 2004, 3:58 AM
Post #3 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never heard of this. It seems there would have to be some sort of personal vendetta involved; a random, psychopathic act like this seems unlikely.

When I was in France with some Italian friends, these French did pull our toprope down off a route so they could lead it without asking, but, obviously, there was no one attached to it. That's about as bad as I've seen it.

sly

Apr 18, 2004, 4:16 AM
Post #4 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kind of off the topic but, in a book called 'Touching the Void' after a climber fell, and their was no comunication for many hours (couldn't see each other), his partner wrongly assumed he was dead and cut him loose to survive & finish the climb. The climber who fell and was cut loose actually survived and crawled back to base camp.

fourdeadpresidents

Apr 18, 2004, 4:40 AM
Post #5 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

far_east_climber
Man you must have pissed off a lot of people in your day "like the mob" to be thinking of that whilst you are abseiling.

dc

May 4, 2004, 2:11 PM
Post #6 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anybody ever cut ropes whilst people are abseiling down (for example). It's always been in the back of my mind about some sadistic freak coming along and cutting my rope.

fine, i've been exposed.. my secrets are revealed.. now everyone knows why i dont ever have a climbing partner (for more than a week)...

btw, where are you guys gonna be climbing this weekend?? :twisted:

lidosis

May 4, 2004, 2:43 PM
Post #7 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've cut ropes before so watch yourself. These kind ppl whose rope I cut, threw down the ropes to rap nailed me with them while I was on the climb. I look up see the guy standing there and then he scurries away, not even a oops sorry. So those two 60m ropes becam two 30m ropes. I did knot his ends don't need anyone to get hurt.

boulderman

May 4, 2004, 2:53 PM
Post #8 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What?

What the f@ck lidosis? Some punctuation would help. Jesus, can't anyone f@cking write anymore?

What the hell are you trying to say? You cut their ropes or they cut your ropes? WHAT?????

far_east_climber

May 4, 2004, 3:21 PM
Post #9 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've cut ropes before so watch yourself. These kind ppl whose rope I cut, threw down the ropes to rap nailed me with them while I was on the climb. I look up see the guy standing there and then he scurries away, not even a oops sorry. So those two 60m ropes becam two 30m ropes. I did knot his ends don't need anyone to get hurt.

Here let me translate.

"I have cut ropes before, so watch out. The reason why I cut the ropes is because when they threw their rope down to set up their abseil, they hit me whilst I was on my way down. I looked up to see the guy standing there but he quickly ran away. He didn't even apologise.

Due to their mindless actions, I cut their rope. What was once a 60m rope is now two 30m ropes. Don't worry... I did remember to put knots in the end to stop them from rapping off!"

Hope that helps.

Partner taino

May 4, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #10 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

That's pretty damned fvcked up. Chew them out in person - don't fvck with their equipment.

T

overlord

May 4, 2004, 3:30 PM
Post #11 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont you think that was a bit excessive??? thats almost like shooting someone becasue he stepped on your foot.

michhiker

May 4, 2004, 4:30 PM
Post #12 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
dont you think that was a bit excessive??? thats almost like shooting someone becasue he stepped on your foot.

yeah, and?????

Don't step on my feet!

:shock:

guiles

May 4, 2004, 4:42 PM
Post #13 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Am I the only one who see's an ironic connection between F.E.C.'s question and his sig? :lol:

daisuke

May 4, 2004, 4:51 PM
Post #14 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had some stupid dutch climbers do that to me in belgium, 3 times in a row, but I didn't cut their rope! (they didn't even say rope) I just gave them an ugly look.

and the guy in touching the void cut his partner off because if he didn't he would have probably fallen to his death while the other guy would have lived.

D

timstich

May 4, 2004, 4:57 PM
Post #15 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While caving in Mexico, I had some friends get thier rope cut while they were in a deep pit. There was some political BS going around about which jefe was the one to get permission from to go caving. In any case, no one was on rope at the time. They spent the night in the cave and their friends rescued them the next morning. Pretty f-ed up if you ask me. The name of the villiage is just on the tip of my tongue. In any case, if you want to know more I can find out.

Rats have gnawed most of the way through fixed rap lines as well. I've seen the pictures!

lidosis

May 4, 2004, 5:19 PM
Post #16 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not excessive in the least, considering it was search and rescue doing some training. Those guys should really know what they are doing.

lidosis

May 4, 2004, 5:19 PM
Post #17 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on yeah I was climbing too not rapping.

timstich

May 4, 2004, 5:27 PM
Post #18 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not excessive in the least, considering it was search and rescue doing some training. Those guys should really know what they are doing.

They just wanted you to be their practice victim. That's all. You are mean.

sd

May 4, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #19 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lay off the crack dude

keinangst

May 4, 2004, 6:01 PM
Post #20 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Gotta troll with the punches, folks. A decent T6 has just become a T0 for a lame follow-up. :D

ford

May 4, 2004, 6:12 PM
Post #21 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never had problems with the rope, but I DID have some kids (11-12 ish) decide that throwing rocks at 'the guy on the rope' might be fun. They chose a really bad day to do it, too. That day, a friend of mine we will only refer to as Mr. Moose was with me. Mr. Moose is a very patient man, and it's a damn good thing he IS. Ain't much in this world skeers ol' Ford, but Mr. Moose can be.... well, let's just say somewhat intimidating.
He ran around to the trail and got to these kids a few moments before their parental units arrived. Now I was unable to witness the events as they unfolded, because I was way down on the ground. All I know for sure is Mr. Moose never raised his voice. A few minutes later, an ashen-faced and extremly shaken man appeared from the trail, with two equally frightened children. They appologized. VERY profusely.

I really like people with good manners. I really REALLY like it when parents get to assist in teaching their spawn good manners. 8^)

---Ford---

Everyone should have a friend like Mr. Moose. God bless his twisted, evil, sadistic and downright psychotic little soul. :lol:

timstich

May 4, 2004, 6:26 PM
Post #22 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mr. Moose Learns the Loin Prawns Some Manners.

Sounds like a good childrens' book.

epic_ed

May 4, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #23 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ford -- I must have blacked out during that episode. I had no idea we've climbed together. :mrgreen: :twisted:

cchildre

May 5, 2004, 4:29 PM
Post #24 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think dry lightning is a bigger danger than some nutcase chopping your rope rapping down.

Still I always think the same thing. I guess paranoia about safety is not such a bad thing after all.

lidosis

May 5, 2004, 5:44 PM
Post #25 of 32 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got another one. This is not in regard to cutting peoples lines while they are abseiling or whatever, but when they are actually climbing. This can be justified and be the safer course of action for your party when another party crosses your line. This is very dangerous because in certain circumstances can lead to failure in both parties systems. If ropes are crossed, and the person on the bottom line, the party who has been crossed, takes a fall and zippers reaching a point where instead on relying on the next piece of gear as should happen the rope rest on the other parties rope. Two ropes moving across each other causes a great deal of fricition and will cause the ropes to burn through each other. Resulting in the loss of both parties. The party being crossed has the right to cut the other parties line to protect there own saftey!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook