Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
OK, quick question about lubricating cams...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

akclimber

Apr 18, 2004, 4:41 AM
Post #1 of 18 (2579 views)
Shortcut

OK, quick question about lubricating cams...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Evidence :lol:

brutusofwyde

Apr 18, 2004, 5:02 AM
Post #2 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Re: OK, quick question about lubricating cams... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use tri-flow.

When that is not available, I use WD40.

Once, on a wall, when I had some cams sticking, I used oil from sardines packed in oil.

Another time in J Tree I used Pam no stick cooking spray.

anything is better than sticking cams.

just be sure to wipe off the excess so you don't drop the slippery things.

Brutus.

Denial -- It's all a matter of rhyme.

nthusiastj

Apr 18, 2004, 6:31 AM
Post #3 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy some Metolius cam lube. It's kinda made for that. I had the same problem after I got rained off routes 2 days in a row. It got 'em slippery like a drunk college girl. Haven't had a problem since.

kimble

Apr 18, 2004, 1:18 PM
Post #4 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is best to fully clean your cams before lubing them. Lube's effectiveness is limited when there's a ton of dirt and grime in there. I would use a light solvent or degreaser and warm water to do this. Then lube away with your favorite lube. I wouldn't reccommend wd-40 because it dries too quickly and the lubricating effect doesn't last. It might help in the cleaning stage though. On the other hand, if you have too much oily lube on your cams, dirt and grit is going to be attracted, and you don't want to climb with oily hands. As mentioned previously, metolius makes a lubricant designed for use with cams. I don't have too much experience with their product so I can't offer an opinion on how well it works.

If the cams don't work well before using lube they need to be cleaned.

-K

fredo

Apr 18, 2004, 1:49 PM
Post #5 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work the cams in warm water to remove all the dirt and junk. Then I dry them as best as possible to remove any remaing dirt, then I apply Cam Lube, or if I am out WD-40. The WD-40 works okay but I like the cam lube. Let the cmas dry and viola

sspssp

Apr 18, 2004, 4:15 PM
Post #6 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WD-40 is not a good choice because it is petroleum based and it will attract dirt. Tri-flow is better but still not the best. A wax based lubricant like the metolius is better. If you want to get it a little cheaper, go to a bike shope and get a wax based lubricant.

You can wash your cams in warm soapy water, rinse throughly, let dry and lubricate. A good thing to do on a periodic basis.

berkov

Apr 18, 2004, 5:09 PM
Post #7 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Warning don't get any of that stuff on the slings! but you guys already know that

I would stick with something that is a "dry" lube they don't atract the dirt like the wet ones do tri-flo collects alot of dirt and gets things prety uky oily black

the metolius lube is acually Finish Line dry teflon lube at the bike shops and is probably also "White Lightning" too as writen in the fine print bottom of the back

you probably won't save any by going to a bike shop unless you buy a big bottle but you can also get it in a spray wich I prefere to get in the cracks better

I want to do a little testing with my favorite lube product on climbing gear Pedro's Ice Wax I love on my bikes chains when dirt gets on it just works its way out and flakes off so that all I have to do is drop alittle more on without having to scrub and clean

berkov

Apr 18, 2004, 5:28 PM
Post #8 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I forgot to add that while you are at the bike shop you could also pick up some bio degreaser mabe one you just add to water so you can just submerge the cam half work them a bit to get the gunk out rinse dry and lube

wd-40 not really a lube but a great degreaser just make sure its dry before you aply lube soap I would not recamend because even after a good rinse can still leave residue that when wetted by rain or what not will help break down lubricants

Sardine Oil! sounds like the perfect lube! but could go stinky rancid in hot weather the next time I see the guys from Pedro's I will ask them about doing a synthetic version

jakewolf

Apr 18, 2004, 5:38 PM
Post #9 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clean with white gas, simple green, water and then lube with cam lube or white lightning(bike shop). This is the best way out there.

akclimber

Apr 18, 2004, 8:06 PM
Post #10 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Evidence :lol:

superbum

Jun 20, 2004, 9:04 PM
Post #11 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what about a dry powder type lube like Graphite???????

changling

Jun 20, 2004, 9:23 PM
Post #12 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used the Metolius lube and it works very well. The cams felt like shit before, and now it's like they were new. It's been probably over a year since I lubricated them and they still feel good. It's wax based so it doesn't attract dirt.

dietzpa

Jun 20, 2004, 9:48 PM
Post #13 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

McLube. my personal preference, especially because it dries hard, and not wet.

It's also mad water repellent. The stuff will stay on forever.

paulraphael

Jun 21, 2004, 3:49 AM
Post #14 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the best, longest lasting lube i've used for cams (and a lot of things) is Finish Line Teflon Plus (from the bike shop). It comes in a plastic squeeze bottle. It's a synthetic dry lube and it greatly outlasts the wax lubes that I've used, especially in wet conditions.

I use it on my bike (great longevity on the chain), my cams, the padlocks on my gate, and the sleeves on my locking biners.

I wouldn't use WD-40 for anything. It doesn't lube very well, it attracts dirt, and it eventually gets gummy. It's pretty good for removing road tar from things, but I can't imagine there isn't a better product for that.

musicman

Jun 21, 2004, 3:55 AM
Post #15 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WD40 will make things worse in the long run, i learned this with my skateboard bearings, it attacts dirt, use a specifically made cam lube

dirtineye

Jun 21, 2004, 4:16 PM
Post #16 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HEy akclimber, one thing nobody has mentioned, and you may well run into this, is that while Metoleus cam lube is great stuff, There is one big problems with it:

In cold weather the wax is hard and some cams don't work too well if you have a lot of the met cam lube on em then.

This is probably true of all the waxy lubes, but I have only SEEN THIS MYSELF with the metoleus stuff.

IF you are only going to climb in more reasonable weather this will not be a problem. I really like the met cam lube and their cleaner as well.

paulraphael

Jun 21, 2004, 6:10 PM
Post #17 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In cold weather the wax is hard and some cams don't work too well if you have a lot of the met cam lube on em then.

This is probably true of all the waxy lubes, but I have only SEEN THIS MYSELF with the metoleus stuff.

this is another advantage to the synthetic lubes (like finish line). they work well in extreme cold.

btw, i experimented with silicone spray lube for a while, but found that it's too light for anything as clunky as a cam. it also doesn't weather very well (has to be replaced often if things get wet).

Partner eyecannon

Jun 21, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #18 of 18 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the best, longest lasting lube i've used for cams (and a lot of things) is Finish Line Teflon Plus (from the bike shop). It comes in a plastic squeeze bottle. It's a synthetic dry lube and it greatly outlasts the wax lubes that I've used, especially in wet conditions.

Definitely, though Finish Line has a newer wax lube called KryTech, it uses Krytox instead of Teflon.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook