Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

drkodos

Mar 13, 2004, 4:22 AM
Post #51 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Re: Most Embarrassing CLimbing Expeirience? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Without equivacation, the most embarssing thing that happened to me climbing just keeps on happening:

being recognized as a dot.comer

That, and the actual embarassment that is my climbing.

donie

Mar 16, 2004, 7:50 AM
Post #52 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Ya don't shet, where ya eat." someone smart

sublimesalamander

Apr 18, 2004, 7:14 AM
Post #53 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my pre Atkins days I was climbing at a gym and I broke two foot holds on one route.

climber_chick

Apr 18, 2004, 8:29 AM
Post #54 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah, as if i'm really going to post my most embarrassing moment... :lol:
"finish each day and be done with it. you have done what you could. tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." -ralph waldo emerson

ahh emerson is/was so cool. he and thoreau. those men are geniuses.

ryanhos

Apr 18, 2004, 3:54 PM
Post #55 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It was my 3rd outdoor trip. I was climbing Upper Diagonal at Devil's Lake one sunny day. I knew it was above my grade at the time, but I wanted to try it because it was the only other rope our group had hung at that moment and I wasn't much of an anchor setter yet. There is a small (4 inch) horizontal ledge about 7 feet up. One must mantel onto the ledge. There is a pointy 5ft stump of a tree that has fallen over that sits about 2ft back from the wall right in front of this ledge. As I began to make the mantel move, I realized that I was about to bonk from lack of food/water/both and didn't have the arm strength to make the mantel. (Sure, I'm a big guy, but I also have big arms! I was surprised when I couldn't muster the strength!) I knew at that very moment that if I fell, I would get an a**full of tree stump. I started moaning and swearing like a sailor. Our entire group turned their attention toward me. To my surprise, not a one of them came to spot me. They were all taken with laughter over might plight. (My fiance was belaying me so she really couldn't do much else than hold the rope.) I finally made the mantel, but then didn't have the mental reserves to finish the route. I started up Upper D and got about 1/3 the way up and asked to be lowered. Then I watched a climber from another group, brianthew, come one cam from decking and decided that I'd seen enough almost-accidents for one day.

munderwo

Apr 18, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #56 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
yeah, as if i'm really going to post my most embarrassing moment... :lol:
"finish each day and be done with it. you have done what you could. tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense." -ralph waldo emerson

ahh emerson is/was so cool. he and thoreau. those men are geniuses.

Why are the transcendentalists so widely read among climbers?

Partner oldsalt

Apr 18, 2004, 5:21 PM
Post #57 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can only speak for myself, but climbing is a transcendental experience. I have always loved mountains, and I have always loved the sea. As a surfer at any beach on Oahu I could see a blend of mountain and sea. My window to the ocean is filtered by the shapes and progress of the waves in a break, the curl of a single wave, the shading of the rocks and sand of the bottom beneath a wave. I see waves in terms of the ride that I know that can be had, or that I have had once before.

Until climbing, the mountains proved the backdrop of the most beautiful setting for my love of the sea. Now my viewing filter when looking at a crag or a ridgeline is vastly different. I see a possibly do-able route and wonder what the view will be like from the top, or from a ledge partway up.

Whatever your venue or your activity, your interaction with the natural environment transcends the mundane and changes your viewing window. Not to knock NASCAR, but I don't see much interaction with the natural world in motor sports, beyond the physics of it. I would be surprised, therefore, to find a tie between racing fans and the Transcendentalists.

meataxe

Apr 20, 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #58 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Re: Most Embarrassing Climbing Experience? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After climbing, I fell down the hill while walking back to my car. :oops:

endrizzi

Apr 20, 2004, 4:28 AM
Post #59 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For high school graduation present I took my quite, self-concious introverted nephew up Durance at Devil's Tower. Prior I warned him to take a crap before climbing or else there would be issues. On top of leaning tower I get the "Uncle Mike, I have issues". I decide to go up another pitch and let him do his business.

I hear a scream "OH YEAH BABY!!! WAAHHOOOO, GOTTA LOVE THAT ONE. WHO"S YOUR DADDY" etc. etc. Finally: "UNCLE MIKE, THAT WAS THE BEST CRAP I EVER TOOK IN MY LIFE!!! THANK YOU!!!". Of course because of the ampitheater effect it echoed throughout the whole east wall and every tourist and climber had their eyes on us.

When he came up next to me he was filled with testosorone and pride. "Hey Uncle Mike, I just crapped in my pants...LOOK!" It was 95 degrees and I could smell it before he got to me. It was leaking out of his ankles.

I spent the rest of the climb trying to get away from him, but the rappels were the worst. He was so ripe by then I wanted to vomit last weeks tacos.

Once on the ground I gave him all my gear and walked quickly in front of him. He was a playing swaggering mountain man with all my gear. He went up to a tourist with his camera and said "Hey Mr., could you take a picture of Uncle Mike and I?". The look on the tourist's face went from friendly smile to death camp horror as he took his first whiff. My nephew ran up to me and hugged me tight and yelled "Dude, take the picture". I just wanted to vomit again.

At the campground my nephew took off his grundies and put them on a stick and flew them like a flag as he paraded around the campground like a toy soldier.

Last time I ever take any of my relatives climbing.

dreez

PS: I've got the pictures in case you doubt me.

itakealot

Apr 20, 2004, 5:17 AM
Post #60 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Back in the early 90's while climbing in my neon colored tights I got a boner. So after I was lowered I walked around with my chalk bag infront of my crotch.

jackscoldsweat

Apr 20, 2004, 5:55 AM
Post #61 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For high school graduation present I took my quite, self-concious introverted nephew up Durance at Devil's Tower. Prior I warned him to take a crap before climbing or else there would be issues. On top of leaning tower I get the "Uncle Mike, I have issues". I decide to go up another pitch and let him do his business.

SNIP....

dreez

Classic!

Not that I don't believe you, but I would like to see your expressions photographed during such an experience.

JCS

reprieve

Apr 20, 2004, 2:31 PM
Post #62 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

dreez

No offense man, but that is just too outrageous. I call BS until I see pics.

timstich

Apr 20, 2004, 2:44 PM
Post #63 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The following was posted a few years ago on rec.climbing. I don't know who this guy is, but I'm prettysure it doesn't get more embarassing than this. UB
----------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------

Code Brown: An Epic? Or Food Story?

That takes the award. I can't imagine a worse story.
ROTFL

Again, I am in tears laughing. This tale will always be hard to beat, but don't let this dissuade anyone from trying.

mrmons

Apr 20, 2004, 3:42 PM
Post #64 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was flaking the rope at the end of the day while watching a beautiful woman climbing on the next route over. She was a amazing. It was like she was dancing up the stone. I was completely mesmerized. She finished the climb and as she was being lowered, I looked down at the rope I was working with and way too late realized that I had tied myself up! :shock:

I called myself a jacka$$ all the way home. :?

Mr. Mons :twisted:

endrizzi

Apr 20, 2004, 3:47 PM
Post #65 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="reprieve"]
In reply to:

I just left a message with my nephew for the flag waving picture.
If he sends it to me I will post it. If I post it you better give it a

dreez

reprieve

Apr 20, 2004, 4:46 PM
Post #66 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="endrizzi"]
In reply to:
In reply to:

I just left a message with my nephew for the flag waving picture.
If he sends it to me I will post it. If I post it you better give it a

dreez

haha, ok man, if I see a pic that verifies your story, I'll give it a 10. :lol:

golsen

Mar 3, 2005, 7:07 PM
Post #67 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this was too good not to write something.

I had a new girlfriend I was introducing climbing to at the City of Rocks. I was leading up a 5.7 and about 30 feet up I actually fucking lost it...had diareahea in my pants...I said uh oh....this isnt normal I will be down climbing here....got down...ran behind some boulders and cleaned myself up.....finished the route....she was f***ing laughing like hell and strangley enough I ended up marrying her...

slobmonster

Mar 3, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #68 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All my stories have poop in them.

Or wiped onto them.

vawwyakr

Mar 3, 2005, 8:57 PM
Post #69 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What is you worst climbing experieence? For me, it was when I was just gettin serious- I was workin out at a gym, and climbed a wall in like 45 seconds- good at that time for me, and then a girl with a broken leg goes up to it, and gets up in like 30!!! I felt like crap!

i don't get it, either. why is this embarassing? unless you are a poser.
I don't necessarily think he was trying to say anything against women I think it's just that she had a broken leg. If I just finished a send on something I'm pretty proud of doing and someone comes along with a leg in a cast and finishes it with more ease than me I would probably feel a little disheartened as well.

mcfoley

Mar 3, 2005, 9:04 PM
Post #70 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my good friends was on FALSE UP 20 out at JTREE, surrounded by 5 (hot) chicks and a few guys...Went for the crux move and blew a HUGE fart on all of us....all the spotters just fell over laughing along with the climber falling off and laughing...

temporary-wintertime
Deleted

Mar 3, 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #71 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

when i met aaron (slavetogravity) in the backpackers at katoomba and offered to 'show him around' the blueys, problem was i didnt know my own way around them at that stage- that arvo had a bitch of a walk when i got us completely lost on the way into Mt Boyce, then net morning i took him to do sweet dreams- we walked from katoomba and took the longest possible way because i thought it would be a good short cut across a golf course, we got completely lost but eventually got there and did the route!! hitched a ride with some otherclimberson the wayout, I gave them directions, youknow what happens next....
that arvo i tried to take him to lower shipley to do clockwork orange, but i only vaguely knew where the crag was and didnt have a topo of any sort- had another climbingless arvo with a lotof dehydrated walking
i left aaron at the train station and im sure he was damn glad to see me go!!!
now im hoping he'll show me around squamish and the bugaboos when i get out there....i hope his revenge plans arent TOO savage

anyhow, this is aaron out of focus on his sweet dreams adventure (taken one handed with a fully manual camera)

all_that_is_rock

Mar 3, 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #72 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok it's not on me but it's funny: While I was in highschool we had an after school climbing program (outdoor oriented school). I was the only one in the class with enough experience to lead and bulid anchors so the instructer apointed me un-official asistant.
one day we were taking the class to a crag near Durango CO, called X-rock (totally lame area). all of the climbs are set meant to be TR'd and only have TR bolts. The instructer (who will remain nameless, I'm so sorry if your reading this but i had to tell it) and I begin to free solo an easy 5.6 in order to get to a large ledge where one can set up top ropes for other climbes. about 3/4 of the way up i smell poo, and I start saing things like "dear lord what the Fu#* is that smell", and " god god man did you step in shit", he turns to me and said "I did'nt step in shit, I did shit". He has multiple sclerosis ( not very funny) and it turns out that one of the effects of that disease is loss of bowl controle :shock: the scary part is he was abouve me. luckily nothing droped on my head :righton:
can you imagine being 50 feet of the deck while free soloing and crapping your pants....that's gotta suck!!!! I didn't mention anything to the rest of the students and I had to take over the class while he went and...um...washed up.

din

Mar 4, 2005, 4:51 AM
Post #73 of 85 (29125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was doing trail maintenance at indian creek a few years ago with a group of friends. I picked up this really heavy rock and as I hove it out of the way, the exertion made me fart. which would have been fine, but this absolute doll of a girl I had a crush on was, unbeknownst to me, bent over behind me with her face about six inches from my ass.

the_antoon

Mar 4, 2005, 5:34 AM
Post #74 of 85 (29215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was doing trail maintenance at indian creek a few years ago with a group of friends. I picked up this really heavy rock and as I hove it out of the way, the exertion made me fart. which would have been fine, but this absolute doll of a girl I had a crush on was, unbeknownst to me, bent over behind me with her face about six inches from my ass.

i'm think i'm starting to see a pattern here...

locker

Mar 4, 2005, 6:34 AM
Post #75 of 85 (28578 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So far my worst and most embarrassing situation during a climb was when my second wife (we are divorced now and mnaybe this has something to do with it???) and I were climbing in Arizona and when we finished, after she lowered I for some reason geared up and dropped the rope down only to realize that now I would have to downclimb the route (Not bad as it was only 5.7). However with a pack full of gear it was awkward. So with about 25feet to go, I decided to throw the pack down and finish the downclimb. I looked down, yelled to my wife to make sure the pack did not hit anything bad, and as soon as I tossed it and saw her arms reaching straight up, and the pack beelining right for her, I knew it was going to be a doozy. In a flash the pack hit her full bore right in the face, dwon she went, out like a light for a few seconds. I was frozen on the rock until she moaned and moved. I made it down, she was still in a daze. We retreated to the car and then home. Later that night I couldn't sleep picturing the whole thing in my mind and I laughed so hard, she packed up and left for a couple of days.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook