Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

action

Apr 20, 2004, 4:37 PM
Post #1 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Animals at the local crag
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i love animals...BUT...why bring them to the crag? i take my dog on backpacking trips and its great. BUT the local crag. there is nothing worse than having twenty dogs pissing and crapping all over...running around unattended while the owners are hang-doggin on a 5.9's. what trips me out, is that they think that the dogs don't bother anybody. i have seen dogs pee on gear etc....i have also stepped in some crap...i have heard the argument that it is hard to find a sitter but leave your dog with a friend, family member, or kennel. Works for me!
if a dog ever peed on my gear, you better believe that i'd be returning the favor on yours.

fiend

Apr 20, 2004, 4:43 PM
Post #2 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Re: Animals at the local crag [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed.

Leave fido at home or at least ensure that he's behaving himself.

Leashes may be cruel but me kicking your dog because you didn't train him to not slober on my gear will probably bother you more.

overlord

Apr 20, 2004, 4:47 PM
Post #3 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the farmer near the base of the crag closest to my home has a really kind female dog. i really liked her until she stole my chocolate.

gradstudentclimber

Apr 20, 2004, 4:58 PM
Post #4 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing at Shelf Road in Colorado this weekend we were overwhelmed by dogs. The popular thing to do seemed to be bringing matched sets of purebreds ... two black Labs, two Weimaraners, etc. Beautiful animals, and thankfully well-behaved, but they just got in the way on the narrow path along the length of the crag.

How does the "leave no trace" outdoor preservation ethic apply to dog waste?

Partner j_ung

Apr 20, 2004, 4:59 PM
Post #5 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't see any reason to ban all dogs from the crag. I do wish some people would be a little more responsible with their mutts, though. A loose, unattended dog at the bottom of a crag definitely infringes on others' rights to enjoy the site. I don't hesitate to point that out to people with obnoxious dogs.

However, anybody who physically harms any pooch in my sight without first being attacked by said pooch will have just started a fight. That's not a threat to anybody. I'm just sayin'... I don't tolerate animal abuse under any circumstances.

action

Apr 20, 2004, 5:07 PM
Post #6 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Climbing at Shelf Road in Colorado this weekend we were overwhelmed by dogs. The popular thing to do seemed to be bringing matched sets of purebreds ... two black Labs, two Weimaraners, etc. Beautiful animals, and thankfully well-behaved, but they just got in the way on the narrow path along the length of the crag.

How does the "leave no trace" outdoor preservation ethic apply to dog waste?
i too have noticed this...at horseshoe canyon we say one guy with 5 weimers...running all over the place! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

thevanillagorilla

Apr 20, 2004, 5:13 PM
Post #7 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are we still climbing here?! threat or no threat, simply put for those ambitiously blind PETA members who still dont understand: Pooch pee on gear or eat my lunch, pooch get punted...Pooch owner pipes up, owner get punted.

brutusofwyde

Apr 20, 2004, 5:14 PM
Post #8 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Every time I go to the local crag, there are animals all over the place. Some are on leashes, up on the rock, but most are wandering around the base, sniffing, marking their territory... There are getting to be just too many of these durned primates wherever you go these days.

Most of them are even too busy to play fetch or throw my chew toy for me. I tell you, things have gotten out of paw.

Walk just one mile in my collar, and you'll see waht I'm whining about.

Brutus

(edited two times due to the difficulty of typing without an opposible thumb)

camsticker

Apr 20, 2004, 5:16 PM
Post #9 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This topic has already been hammered. For those who want more check out...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=12274&forum=32&start=15

And come on Fiend....you know you liked Cort the wonder dog!!

camsticker

Apr 20, 2004, 5:18 PM
Post #10 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just for those who missed it...here is my comment.

Humans try to put themselves too high above other species:roll2: ...when in fact maybe it is US (Humans) that are the ones that cause the most anoyance...not the 4-legged pooch wondering around the crag. I have seen the same thing time and time again at crags all over the west...cigarette butts, soda cans, water bottles, just plain crap! All left by HUMANS not DOGS. AND as far as the noisy dog barking...someone should record the sounds of "Anywhere USA" crag, I bet you would find that the loudest noise would be from HUMANS not Canines. As long as the pets that are at the crag are social...they should be free to hangout!!!

action

Apr 20, 2004, 5:22 PM
Post #11 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
This topic has already been hammered. For those who want more check out...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=12274&forum=32&start=15

And come on Fiend....you know you liked Cort the wonder dog!!

sure it was covered 2 years ago...but what would this site be if we did not talk about the same ole' every other month... :D ...at least it has been two years vs. the monthly troll about trad vs. sport vs. bouldering...etc.
Plus it seams as tho' there is a trend that suggest we are seeing even more dogs now than ever.

Partner rocdaug

Apr 20, 2004, 6:24 PM
Post #12 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Are we still climbing here?! threat or no threat, simply put for those ambitiously blind PETA members who still dont understand: Pooch pee on gear or eat my lunch, pooch get punted...Pooch owner pipes up, owner get punted.

Sorry all you puppy lovers out there, but I'm going to have to agree with thevanillagorilla. Although, I doubt I would "punt" anyone. ...I would however not go out of my way to be chummy with said climber. ie: need a belay? oh, I just forgot how... sorry.

I, love puppies. they are great buds. but they don't understand that chewing on the rope, pissing on the cams, and barking at fellow climbers are all bad things. ...their owners however should.

2bits
rd

wanlessrm

Apr 20, 2004, 6:29 PM
Post #13 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Local popular crag maybe should have pet laws. Get off the beaten path and hike to something remote than your more than welcome to bring your dog. They have things called bark parks these days.

paintrain

Apr 20, 2004, 6:30 PM
Post #14 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is the beautiful thing. Domesticated dogs would not exist without humans in the first place. It would not survive on its own and it would not be. I do not have to put myself in the shoes of another species kept around for the most part for human companionship because of your anthropomorphic delusions that they should have all the rights of humans. If that is the case, let us all play by the same rules!

The difference is humans have a sense of social order that is different from dogs. You generally don't go around peeing on others backpacks or stealing their lunches. You don't take a dump at the base of the crag and get in brawls either. Ignoring the fact that your "children of a different species" are being a nuissance to others is irresponsible because they act like children at best. You wouldn't let a child act like many of the dogs at a crag do.

And, YOU (underline) bring them to the crag. I guarrantee they would not just hang out at a crag if given the choice. Given the choice they would be digging around in a local fast food places dumpster. Dogs don't go around picking up cigarette butts and cans either. You have willfully taken it upon yourself to harbor and care for a dog. Take responsibility for it and quit acting like everyone loves the damn crag nuissance. If it is well behaved, like you, I could care less if you bring it to the crag. But the crag is not doggy day care either where packs of everyones dogs should be free to be a nuissance.

So no, they should not be free to "hang out" because for the most part they don't quietly just "hang out". If they do or did, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Take some responsibility for the fact that you brought them there in the first place. Discipline them if they screw up, apologize, and rectify the situation as the dog is your charge.

PT

macca

Apr 20, 2004, 6:54 PM
Post #15 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Climbing at Shelf Road in Colorado this weekend we were overwhelmed by dogs. The popular thing to do seemed to be bringing matched sets of purebreds ... two black Labs, two Weimaraners, etc. Beautiful animals, and thankfully well-behaved, but they just got in the way on the narrow path along the length of the crag."

I re-write this to say

"Climbing at Leavenworthin Washington this weekend we were overwelmed by people. The popular thing to do is to bring matching sets of REI fitted out couples... two goretex jackets, two $300 a pair hiking, boots, etc. Beautiful animals and thankfully well behaved, but they just got in the way along the length of the crag."

Along with the screaming "take"..."what"..."can't here you" and people deficating, the crags are getting smaller. Humans have the ability to be as/more obnoxious than dogs.
Yes I have a dog but I always clean up after him and he is well trained and respectful towards humans - just like some people. Many people go out of their way to interact with him.

By the way I have no issue with the writer of the above quote.

bandycoot

Apr 20, 2004, 6:59 PM
Post #16 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think this is by far the most creative and original topic I've ever seen on this web site! :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51914&highlight=dog+dogs

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54174&highlight=dog+dogs

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49487&highlight=dog+dogs

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48212&highlight=dog+dogs

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49506&highlight=dog+dogs

gradstudentclimber

Apr 20, 2004, 7:13 PM
Post #17 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Climbing at Shelf Road in Colorado this weekend we were overwhelmed by dogs. The popular thing to do seemed to be bringing matched sets of purebreds ... two black Labs, two Weimaraners, etc. Beautiful animals, and thankfully well-behaved, but they just got in the way on the narrow path along the length of the crag."

I re-write this to say

"Climbing at Leavenworthin Washington this weekend we were overwelmed by people. The popular thing to do is to bring matching sets of REI fitted out couples... two goretex jackets, two $300 a pair hiking, boots, etc. Beautiful animals and thankfully well behaved, but they just got in the way along the length of the crag."

Ha! Good one, macca. Much the same could be said of people at Shelf Road, but the human crowding was mostly our fault. We brought 30 people, mostly from inconveniently crag-free southeastern Nebraska. There were some other large groups, as well. Lucky Shelf Road stretches seemingly to infinity.

What's wrong with REI? :wink:

billcoe_

Apr 22, 2004, 7:41 PM
Post #18 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The worst animals are the humans.

Yup, those and the f*c'en bears. Bears should have to move out. Between the bear shit and bear piss and them running all around and drinking all your beer, breaking the latches on your coolers cause they have those big hunken paws and can't grab little latch things... ..nothing worse than a bunch of drunken black bears slamming 40 ounce'rs..... NOTHIN'.

damn bears.

Thanks for listening.

jughead

Apr 22, 2004, 7:56 PM
Post #19 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dogs are an important part of REAL climbers racks, didnt you know that? http://www.rockclimbing.com/....php?p=717762#717762

mountainmadness

Apr 22, 2004, 9:07 PM
Post #20 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:nono: Keep your mangy mutts at home..Ecologically speaking they have no place in the outdoors.

dirtineye

Apr 22, 2004, 9:16 PM
Post #21 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WHere's the dead horse Icon when you really need it?

mazzystr

Apr 23, 2004, 1:02 PM
Post #22 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the only good dog is a dead dog.

camsticker

Apr 23, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #23 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow...Mazzystr, that is the most original thing i have ever seen written on the subject :roll:

chronicle

Apr 23, 2004, 3:57 PM
Post #24 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree completely with paintrain.

If a human peed on your gear or stole your lunch, you wouldn't hesitate to hit them (I know I wouldn't). If dog owners want their dogs to have the same rights, then I'm not going to hesitate hitting the dog.

I used to climb with this guy that took his dog climbing. It wasn't tied up, so it would just run around. Several times it knocked me over as I was belaying him. It urinated on the trail, on the rock. If a human were to do the same thing, everybody would throw a fit.

camsticker

Apr 23, 2004, 3:59 PM
Post #25 of 29 (4405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So then Chronicle, would you "hit" your children for the same offense?

And how many other wild mammals pee on rocks outdoors???

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook