Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

delarig

Apr 19, 2004, 9:58 PM
Post #26 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Re: Moving to SLC?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mormons are like bears....They are more afraid of you, than you are afraid of them.

litedawg

Apr 19, 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #27 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have an opportunity to move to SLC from Atlanta to work for Black Diamond. I would like some Beta on SLC other than climbing. I know that the outdoors are fantastic but what about everything else? This would be a long term thing, maybe even to raise a family. We are not Mormon, are they as bad as I have heard? Do they make non mormons feel like outcasts, can you get away from them? What about overall area feel.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm thinking about moving to New York City and was wondering about those jews. I'm not a jew but was wondering if they are as bad as I've heard?Do they make non-Jews feel like outcasts? Can you get away from them?

climbjs

Apr 19, 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #28 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Oh my heck!"

halcyon

Apr 20, 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #29 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to be nice to us mormons, or we might close the gate buttress. :twisted:

cheezhead

Apr 20, 2004, 5:00 AM
Post #30 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
What the heck?

Oh my gosh!

HOLY FLIPPIN' FETCH!

I'M in Salt Lake! :shock:

bahahahahahaa....that made me laugh :lol:

Did I miss something? Must be a SLC thing.

yeah instead of hearing curse words in SLC ....you hear 12 of those kind of random wussy sounding phrase for every curse word that a normal person uses. Most of the time you don't notice....but there are a few mormons who use them overly much...kinda like a person that curses too much.

cammaniac

Apr 20, 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #31 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm thinking about moving to New York City and was wondering about those jews. I'm not a jew but was wondering if they are as bad as I've heard?Do they make non-Jews feel like outcasts? Can you get away from them?

Big difference my friend!! NYC is full of culture and people of ALL types its not founded, and controlled by any one people. Unlike SLC which was founded by Mormons and the gov't is controlled by Mormons. One would assume that Mormons are the dominating contributor to SLC culture, and from what I've read here, there's not much culture in SLC ( from a non-mormon perspective).

Please correct me if I'm wrong! I need all the input I can get.

I have absolutely no problem with people practicing their faith as long as they don't intrude on mine. This is still a free country, or does SLC have it's own rules.

My apologies if my comments offended anyone. :cry:

Can't we just all get along!! Jeesh, who knew that the Mormons could be such a touchy lot.

cammaniac

Apr 20, 2004, 12:19 PM
Post #32 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You need to be nice to us mormons, or we might close the gate buttress. :twisted:

I thought the gate buttress was already being destroyed and hauled off to Las Vegas or is that another cliff outside of Provo?

michhiker

Apr 20, 2004, 1:07 PM
Post #33 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cammaniac,
Not to turn this into a religious topic, but point of "Mormon" doctrine for you.

"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."

If they "hassle" you to much and you "can't get away from them" You can remind them that this is their own doctrine. Other than that I believe that you will find your new LDS neighbors to be helpful, friendly, and family oriented...in general it is a great place to live. Will there be a few individuals that are over the top? Sure...but don't you have a few of those in all the religions where you are currently?

cammaniac

Apr 20, 2004, 1:36 PM
Post #34 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Will there be a few individuals that are over the top? Sure...but don't you have a few of those in all the religions where you are currently?

Absolutely, I currently live in the Deep South, the heart of the "Bible Belt". Those Southern Baptists can definetely be prejudiced to anything other than the narrow minded doctrine that they preach.

Hey this is not supposed to a religeous thread!! I want to know about everything, the traffic, the air, the food, the housing, and of course the people.

Just to give me an idea of the culture, are there any sections of town where the "alternative types" hangout? By that I mean the punk-purple haired, pierced, tattooed fiercely independant lot?

litedawg

Apr 20, 2004, 3:41 PM
Post #35 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cammaniac my intent was not to offend or attack, however being morman and having grown up in Utah I hear many, many comments about mormans that would never be tolerated and would be considered very closeminded and bigoted if the same comment was being said about the Hebrews, or Blacks. For some reason it is still OK to bash the LDS faith (mormans) and talk down about us.

Yes we all can get along.

There are two neighborhoods area around the capital building in the heart of the city called the Avenues and Federal Heights. They are on a hillside overlooking the entire valley, quite beautiful if you ask me. This is a very "liberal" part of the valley, it has a much less conservative feel and mindset. Also the Sugarhouse area is quite upscale, yuppie, and liberal in its feel and population mix. Rose Park and West Valley City area have a huge polynesian and latino population. There are tons of great dance clubs, bars and strip clubs. Mind you this is not down town Vegas, but we have are share.

cheezhead

Apr 20, 2004, 5:28 PM
Post #36 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
cammaniac my intent was not to offend or attack, however being morman and having grown up in Utah I hear many, many comments about mormans that would never be tolerated and would be considered very closeminded and bigoted if the same comment was being said about the Hebrews, or Blacks. For some reason it is still OK to bash the LDS faith (mormans) and talk down about us.

Yes we all can get along.

There are two neighborhoods area around the capital building in the heart of the city called the Avenues and Federal Heights. They are on a hillside overlooking the entire valley, quite beautiful if you ask me. This is a very "liberal" part of the valley, it has a much less conservative feel and mindset. Also the Sugarhouse area is quite upscale, yuppie, and liberal in its feel and population mix. Rose Park and West Valley City area have a huge polynesian and latino population. There are tons of great dance clubs, bars and strip clubs. Mind you this is not down town Vegas, but we have are share.

Sorry if my commetns have offended any mormons in the thread but....what i say is what i have experienced...and alot of what others ahve said i have experienced as well. It isn't nessecarily and attack on mormons...but the guy asked us about SLC...so we told him....we didn't make SLC the way it is....especially people like me that come from out of state. No one mormon or not can deny the fact that mormons control the goverment ...they control liqour laws...they control all kinds of stuff. Utah is the one place i have been in this country that I often wonder if the lines between church and state are being blurred or kept seperate like they are supposed to be.

If you are not mormon or do not live a mormon lifestyle in Utah...you WILL be affected by the mormons...PERIOD...thats just how it is in Utah...i have had Mormons preach to me for hours about how their views don't affect me blah blah...but all i have to do is just start comparing things i can do and the way i can do them in 99% of the rest of this country agaisnt how it is here and they don't know how to refute it. Plain and simple whether mormons like it or not...and whether non-mormons like it or not....Mormons can/will/and do affect everyone here. Its not a rip on anyone or bad mouthing...but thats life in Utah.... plain and simple.

mdhf

Apr 20, 2004, 5:44 PM
Post #37 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've lived here for a couple of years now. The singles scene sucks. If you're married, lots of couples do things together, but if you're single...good luck. The food sucks. Smith's grocery store is worse than bad in the produce department, Dan's is pretty bad, and Whole Foods is so so. There's going to be a new one, though, opening up at 7200 and 2000 East (10 min. from BD headquarters, 5 from the mountains). The asian grocery stores are nice (900S, 500E) (700E, 700S) (3500S, Redwood Rd) as variety. Learn to cook/grow a garden.

The outdoors opportunities, as everyone says, can't be beat. Climbing in the summer, skiing in the winter, and biking or hiking in between! Since there's no other culture (except the emerging Indie Movie scene @ the Broadway Theater, Tower Theater, and Gateway), outdoors is where you'll live. Good luck!

cheezhead

Apr 20, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #38 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

anyway i suppose i will talk some more about SLCs pros and cons tell help make a decision on moving here.

as said above things will be different....yes there are stip clubs...there are bars...there are dance clubs.

But if you are looking for something like the nightlife in chicago, San Fran, Orlando/Miami, Minniapolis, or any east coast city......SLC isn't it. Down town consist of like a 9 square block area. You can tell where it is...becasue its the only place around that sticks up more than like 6 to 8 stories high. Like someone stated before....this is the biggest small city ever. Its like being in a giant subburrban city. It would be like if you squashed chicago down to 6 stories tall exept for the area around the towers downtown....then for 30 miles in every way you look it looks flat and rural. The clubs and bars are ok....nothing special...you need meberships to get into everything....unless its a normal restaurant with no normal bar...just a service bar...or if it doesn't sell hard alcohol. There is some culture in Utah...but its kinda hidden. It took me about 2 years to finally get into the swing of things here and to know where the good stuff is. SLC has more of a touisty feel to it than most cities. prolly casue the national parks and mountains around Utah. I come from a small town in Wisconsin...Utah seems like my town...exept spread out over the valley instead of being only 5,000 people. When the Olympics were here was when i had the most fun in SLC...suddenly Utah changed its liqour laws and everything just for the olympics. then they changed tham back afterwards but hey...what can ya do. Anyway....not to put too much of a negative spin on things....but i just don't want people to get the wrong impression and show up here thinking SLC is going to be like other major cities in the US. SLC is definitely not like denver, chicago, Atlanta, miami, DC, or any other...its definitely unique. SO long as you are good with it being smaller and less city like then it will be great for ya. it doesn't take too much effort to ruhn away into the mountains and get away from people....i suppose you could say it is quiet for a city....prolly since its so rural....SLC does have one of the best hospital set ups in the world though. The University Hospital system is one of the most advanced there is. They have an entire research division....The Huntsman Cancer institute is here too. Its the leading cancer research cneter in the world. The hospital also has 4 to 6 helicopters that run flight for life flights on a regular basis...i believe only 3 or 4 of them are the hospitals though.

but yeah...just some more info...just my opinions....SLC is nice to live in for a while...but i couldn't plan on staying here for more than 8 years or so.

jenna

Apr 27, 2004, 2:29 AM
Post #39 of 54 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Get rid of the out-of-state plates before you do anything.

no!! keep the plates as long as you can! It's so much fun. I had a friend move here from the east coast and we had a blast in his car. hold on to your roots!!

as for living in SLC, it's cool if you aren't too into the city thing. (there's a little bit of city stuff...theatre, concerts, one sports team...) but come on, climbing, ski/snowboarding, lakes, mountains, and park city. visit there first it's a blast.
Black Diamond is cool, i worked there for a while.
oh, and there are good indoor gyms. give us a holla

see you around!!

bouldersdothebodygood

Apr 27, 2004, 2:43 AM
Post #40 of 54 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the mormons are not bad. they should not make you feel outcast, if they do the are usually from orem and you should just ignore them. over all it is a great place. i love it.

dfrancom

May 4, 2004, 9:03 PM
Post #41 of 54 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea you should move to Salt Lake City. I am a mormon and from logan. Kind of funny that people think we are wierd. I don't know if mormons are wierd but I know I am. Just open your ears a little when you come, what we believe has more substance than you think. Religon can be a fun topic just as long as you don't personalize what people think about it. Just relaxe!!!
Daniel

dfrancom

May 4, 2004, 9:13 PM
Post #42 of 54 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You must be blind as a bat if you think the single life in Utah (SLC) is bad. Best damn lookin girls around. You probably try to jump their bones the first time you meet them. Maybe you should change your stradegy. Either that or change your prescription.

DDDDDaaaaaaannnnnnnn

dfrancom

May 4, 2004, 9:15 PM
Post #43 of 54 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You must be blind as a bat if you think the single life in Utah (SLC) is bad. Best damn lookin girls around. You probably try to jump their bones the first time you meet them. Maybe you should change your stradegy. Either that or change your prescription.

DDDDDaaaaaaannnnnnnn

dfrancom

May 4, 2004, 9:22 PM
Post #44 of 54 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
What the heck?

Oh my gosh!

HOLY FLIPPIN' FETCH!

yeah instead of hearing curse words in SLC ....you hear 12 of those kind of random wussy sounding phrase for every curse word that a normal person uses. Most of the time you don't notice....but there are a few mormons who use them overly much...kinda like a person that curses too much.
And when you say real words like A$$ and Fu@# you are tough rather than wussy. Cool!! maybe I could start saying those words to be like you!!!

dfrancom

May 4, 2004, 9:26 PM
Post #45 of 54 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've lived here for a couple of years now. The singles scene sucks. If you're married, lots of couples do things together, but if you're single...good luck. The food sucks. Smith's grocery store is worse than bad in the produce department, Dan's is pretty bad, and Whole Foods is so so. There's going to be a new one, though, opening up at 7200 and 2000 East (10 min. from BD headquarters, 5 from the mountains). The asian grocery stores are nice (900S, 500E) (700E, 700S) (3500S, Redwood Rd) as variety. Learn to cook/grow a garden.

The outdoors opportunities, as everyone says, can't be beat. Climbing in the summer, skiing in the winter, and biking or hiking in between! Since there's no other culture (except the emerging Indie Movie scene @ the Broadway Theater, Tower Theater, and Gateway), outdoors is where you'll live. Good luck!
You must be blind as a bat if you think there is no single life in Utah(SLC). Best lookin girls around!! You probably try to jump their bones the first time you meet them. Maybe you should change your strategy, either that or change your prescription.
Daniel

hopster

May 12, 2004, 4:37 AM
Post #46 of 54 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the ideas represented in this ongoing thread are a perfect reflection of the polarization we are suffering from in salt lake city. both sides (LDS and non) have a difficult time understanding the other point of view. even more so i believe with utah LDS. when you are from another part of the country you may feel alienated by the culture (or lack there of depending on what you are into), feel oppressed because politics are dominated by the majority (almost all of the city council members are LDS), and i personally think struggle to find a niche here more than in other cities because the mormon culture is so dominant. it is more than a religion, it is a culture.
all that being said, way too much mormon bashing goes on. this only contributes to the polarization and is not helped much but some of our local publications like the city weekly.
on the upside, the powder is ripping, the backcountry is accessible, you are within 6 hours of red rocks, indian creek, city o rocks, the wind rivers, maple canyon, AF, the tetons, and on and on! just be careful, salt lake is a mad vortex, deep powder days suck you in and you may still find yourself sucking smog in the valley 6 years later...

dawnawanna

May 12, 2004, 5:04 AM
Post #47 of 54 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I lived in Utah (SLC and Logan) before moving to Boise. My family moved to Utah from Alabama. Talk about culture shock... (and I am Mormon). It was just different culture, I was very used to being in the minority as a Mormon kid living in lots of different places and all of the sudden I was in a majority. It was strange. If you live in the deep south, you won't find it to be that strange. At times I thought Alabama was way more conservative than Utah.

I liked SLC and wouldn't mind moving back (lot of my family is still there). The Harvard-Yale district and Avenues are very nice places to live if you want the a more liberal area to live. I find that the traffic is insane there (especially compared to Boise). Just don't turn on your signals, drive 20 MPH over the speed limit and you'll be fine. Housing can be pricey (compared to Idaho that is). I thought alcohol laws were funny in Utah, but I also thought they were funny in Alabama (and of course I don't drink so it didn't really affect me). There's plenty of dining variety downtown. Personally, I don't like big cities. SLC was about as big as I would want to live in. The big downside about SLC and Utah Valley is the winter inversions. Of course if you go skiing, you'll get out of that by heading to the slopes.

Good Luck!

cheezhead

May 14, 2004, 12:21 AM
Post #48 of 54 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
What the heck?

Oh my gosh!

HOLY FLIPPIN' FETCH!

And when you say real words like A$$ and Fu@# you are tough rather than wussy. Cool!! maybe I could start saying those words to be like you!!!

Thanks for the personal attack against me. and if curse words make me tough as you say then i must be the most badassd dude around. The only reason i say its weird is becasue saying fudge instead of F$#k is just like saying F%$k. the only reason why people say Fudge instead is because they wanted to express the frustrations one portrays when saying F%$k but not have to say the word. it is basically the same as saying lightly toasted flour circle instead of Tortilla. you know that either way you are still talking about a tortilla...just that one person doesn't want to call it what it is really called.

its kinda how when you hear an edited song on the radio....there is a blank spot in the song instead of the curse word. but it doesn't really matter if you heard the curse word or a blank spot....your mind will still fill in the blank spot with what was origionally there anyway. your mind knows what was there before it was editied out. so it might as well be there anyway becasue your brain registers that it is there without actually hearing it. kinda crazy how the brain works huh?....if a little kid hears and edited song he still knows whats going on....he doesn't go "oh..that was a nice blank spot" in his head...no the blank spot still gets filled in with the apropriate word in his mind.

cammaniac

May 14, 2004, 12:06 PM
Post #49 of 54 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Give me some advice!!!
So here's the deal, I have been offered a high-end position with Black Diamond, my dream job. It requires me to take a HUGE cut in pay and they don't want to assist very much in relocation. I have a wife that,well, to say the least isn't excited about the move. We have a great property in North GA. An hour from good climbing and such, but nothing like SLC. I would just about sacrafice my left nut to get there and take this job, but not my other half. To be quite honest, this is making me question whether I want to stay with her or not. I am so "Flippin" torn I don't know what the "Fetch" to do. Hey, I think I got this fake cussin thing down!!

cammaniac

May 14, 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #50 of 54 (4476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So here's another concern I have about moving West.

THE DROUGHT :twisted:

Back east, it's all over the news lately. Lake Powell empty in a couple of years. Wildfire potential worsening. Water shortages everywhere. No end in sight.

Is this the case. Or just media hype. I would hate to pack up and move and in a couple of years run out of water.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook