RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

rvarhd

Apr 21, 2004, 3:13 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

my new ATC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all. Well I got a ton of first time equipment yesterday and one of those was an ATC. The one I got is one of those ATC's with different sides, one that is taller than the other. On the side of the thing it had pictures of the rope coming out with a negative symbol under one picture and a positive sign on the other. I have no idea what these mean. I used the taller end for belaying and the shorter for repealling. So yeah does anyone know what these mean and how I should use my multi sided ATC?

ropeburn

Apr 21, 2004, 3:17 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Re: my new ATC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I bet its read and has climbaxe on one side...
I believe the + side gives you more friction and the - side provides less.

shaggyj

Apr 21, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice Troll... it only scores about a 4 though.

But seriously if you are asking for instruction from this site you are going to kill your partner :twisted: !

It's called an ATC XP and you should read the instruction booklet that came with it, or find someone that knows what they're doing to show you proper.

On second thought, just ignore my advice and go the library visit 575 under non-fiction and check out a book called The Origin of Species....

rvarhd

Apr 21, 2004, 3:50 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah thanks for being a dillhole shag. No it doesn't say climb axe on one side and I know how to use an ATC I just didn't know what my options were. I assumed the positive and negative meant something about positive and negative loads I wouldnn't be suprised if it referred to friction either. I would have read the manual had it come with one infact the first thing I did after seeing these marking was look for the manual but it was not to be found. Anyone have anything actually worth reading to say or does everyone just waste bandwith on this site?

doones

Apr 21, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you can identify the ATC brand, most people on the site can give you assistance. However, you will need to obtain an instruction sheet. Most manufactures have the instructions online.

Partner j_ung

Apr 21, 2004, 4:26 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If you can identify the ATC brand, most people on the site can give you assistance. However, you will need to obtain an instruction sheet. Most manufactures have the instructions online.

Only Black Diamond makes ATCs and ATC XPs. Other tube-style devices are called something different.

Is the "-" on the low side and the "+" on the high side? If so, they mean more and less friction.

doones

Apr 21, 2004, 4:32 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.bdel.com/gear/rock/atc_xp.php

rvarhd

Apr 21, 2004, 5:01 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I found out from the site I bought it at that they are for more or less friction. What are advantages with this?

doones

Apr 21, 2004, 5:03 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Weight of the person you are belaying is one advantage. The heaver the person, the more friction needed.

simianboy

Apr 21, 2004, 5:04 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I doubt it is the ATC XP since he didnt mention anything about grooves. Anyway, using the side that kinks the rope into a tighter s-curve will give more friction.

escale

Apr 21, 2004, 5:14 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just to get the synapse going, when would you like more friction, and when would you like less friction when you are using an ATC? Do you think the size of the ropes you use might be a factor, whether you are on a single rope rappel or double route rappel and then there is a chance you will use it to belay a leader, or belay a second from below you. Are you leading with two small ropes. 9.8mm or do you got one alpine ropte 11.0mm? Do the math.

My vote on the troll scale is 7

And yes, I know my sarcasm scale is about 10 here. Sorry, I’m going bouldering to burn off some stress. Laters,

---Escale

brianinslc

Apr 21, 2004, 5:16 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah I found out from the site I bought it at that they are for more or less friction. What are advantages with this?

You might want to rig for greater friction if you're using skinnier rope and have a heavier partner.

Brian in SLC

petergram

Apr 21, 2004, 5:37 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a Wild Country variable controller which also has sides of different length for more/less friction. The low side gives more friciton, and I find it suitable for belaying and rappeling. I never bother using the other side.
Certainly the side with more friction is best suited for lead belaying, and is nice for rappels too.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook