RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

krillen

Apr 22, 2004, 2:11 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Goals for the Up Coming season.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I often find it very helpful to setup goals for my interests. I.e. - this year I'm going to climb two grades harder for sport and bouldering.

This also applies to my photography. In years past I've strived to work on focus. Keeping the subject's eyes in focus, or the selected part of the frame. Other years I have worked on composition and keeping visual (distracting) hotspots out of the frame.

So what are your goals this season :?:

Shoot more film?
Delve into long exposures?
Try another types of media?
Try another format?
Work on handshaking?

biff

Apr 22, 2004, 4:57 PM
Post #2 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Re: Goals for the Up Coming season. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My goal this year is to get photos of all types of climbing.

I have already covered Indoor (and have another competition to photograph on Sunday)

Over the next months I hope to get
Bouldering, Sport, Trad, and Summer Alpine.

then in the Fall / winter get some
Ice / Winter Alpine.

Things I would really like to photograph but probably won't be able to this year:
Free-Soloing, Deep Water Soloing, Aid, Big Wall (aid or free)

So I guess my goal is to show the diversity of the climbing community, and climbing diciplines, and to expand my vision as a photographer.

melekzek

Apr 22, 2004, 6:27 PM
Post #3 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i should work on focus as well...

most people i show my images, they usually focus on the colors, so i moved away from color completely, dropping slide film, and started doing b&w exclusively. I am still in trial and error phase, yet getting automated in developing and better in printing (digital darkroom it is) with every batch.

I plan to focus some more on shooting people i do not know, which is a big challenge for me. Maybe some street photography. if only i can suppress my social retardedness.

Partner coldclimb

Apr 23, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never thought of any goals really, but I'm just hoping to get out and climb a heckuva lot, and get as many sweet pics as I can. ;)

Melekzek: I thought they frowned on shooting random people. Can't you go to jail for that? :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Partner philbox

Apr 23, 2004, 5:37 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I`ll be working on my macro skills. I`m pretty keen to get some close ups of faces of climbers going through hard cruxes, the hands will definitely feature too.

the_pirate

Apr 23, 2004, 5:42 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My current project:

Put together a collection of 12 good climbing shots; a mix of action, scenery, people, bouldering, sport, trad (wasn't happy with any of my ice shots this year), and have a small run of calendars made up. This way, I won't have to buy christmas presents this year. All my fam and friends are getting a calendar.

4 down, 8 to go.

rckclimbergurl

Apr 24, 2004, 5:22 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Put together a collection of 12 good climbing shots; a mix of action, scenery, people, bouldering, sport, trad (wasn't happy with any of my ice shots this year), and have a small run of calendars made up. This way, I won't have to buy christmas presents this year. All my fam and friends are getting a calendar.

That's a really good idea :)

climbsomething

May 5, 2004, 9:55 AM
Post #8 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Improve my bouldering shots, which are my weakest point. I need to get better angles (I want a stepladder for this) on problems. I'll go from there.

Get my hands on a reflector. I can't believe this didn't occur to me before, but after seeing a pro use a gold reflector, I was psyched. My style leads toward warm tones and I loved the idea of being able to bring my own warm tones with me! :)

Get some new models. I mean, I love my usual crew, but they're not the most photogenic bunch. I need more women, and people who aren't so vanilla. My friends are so damn NORMAL, and besides, I am used to shooting them and am losing inspiration cos I already have about 200 shots per partner... and I only have about 3 good climbing buds right now. I want people who stand out, at least to me. And fergoodnesssake, who wear bright colors.

Composite shots. I'm keen on the idea of making sequence shots, especially of novel-looking problems, all in one frame. This will require more skills on photoshop than I currently have.

Oh yeah. Not suck at photoshop.

Self-portraiture, that doesn't look too staged.

More black and white.

Throw down for a digital... that isn't smarter than me!

More lush scenery. I've been staring at colorless scrub and sand for most of the past 10 years and it's getting boring. That goes for my pics and general mental health. ;) Obviously, I need a road trip.

AND (drumroll please)...

A nudes study! (really!)

climbsomething

May 5, 2004, 9:58 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[self-pity]Basically, I'm bored. I need something new to get me out of my rut. I need a MUSE!!![/self-pity]

;)

krillen

May 5, 2004, 2:45 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A nudes study! (really!)

Me too. Honestly. Something very StoneNudes-ish. Artistic, tasteful and DEFINATELY not seedy. The logistics scare me more then the actual shoot I think.

melekzek

May 5, 2004, 6:49 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I mean, I love my usual crew, but they're not the most photogenic bunch. I need more women, and people who aren't so vanilla. My friends are so damn NORMAL, and besides, I am used to shooting them and am losing inspiration cos I already have about 200 shots per partner... and I only have about 3 good climbing buds right now. I want people who stand out, at least to me. And fergoodnesssake, who wear bright colors.

if you find more than you need, please send me some...
:roll:

In reply to:
I need something new to get me out of my rut

learning photoshop and starting to digital darkroom might excite you again. Seriously, i did not know how much power i could have over my images in a [digital] darkroom. I am not talking about copy/paste, airbrush, clone type of extended manipulations, but simple color balancing, reframing, local color manipulations (dodge, burn) etc. After years of shooting slides and composing everything through the viewfinder in a short time, i really find this slow, meditated postprocess really exciting.

melekzek

Sep 1, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so, how are things went in the last 15-16 months after this thread? Have you been able to do what you planned, or how things are changed?

In reply to:
i should work on focus as well...
..started doing b&w exclusively. I am still in trial and error phase, yet getting automated in developing and better in printing (digital darkroom it is) with every batch.

I plan to focus some more on shooting people i do not know, which is a big challenge for me. Maybe some street photography. if only i can suppress my social retardedness.

For me, I am pretty much confident in my b&w processing workflow now. It takes time though, and I seem to shoot faster than I could process, although not all of them are climbing related. That brings me to my second goal, I did a bunch of street and candid photography, and enjoyed it. Well, getting out of this small-college-town-redneck-hell and visiting ny and la definetely helped me there. I still need to work on my social skills though, i am too shy to shoot portraits.

Maybe that should be in my next set of goals. Close-up and personal street photography, with a healty dose of portraits. Also I tend to go backwards in time, a 65 zeiss-ikon rangefinder is my current toy, my father used to shoot in seventies (my profile pic). I also need to climb outside more, since i could use some climbing shots.

climbsomething

Sep 1, 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Meh. I definitely don't have a digital (other than my point n shoot), or any accessories besides one new sky filter, though I did acquire an 18-28 wide angle lens, which I never use anyway. My bouldering shots are a bit better but that's just come with time. Nobody's getting naked for me. No road trips. Oh hell no, no photo-heavy road trips. 2 gallons of gas = 1 4-pk of Fuji 200 print film. 1/3 of a tank of gas = processing of said film.

Yes, I'm still bored.

Partner coldclimb

Sep 2, 2005, 3:36 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
so, how are things went in the last 15-16 months after this thread? Have you been able to do what you planned, or how things are changed?

Set your aims low and you're almost always bound to exceed them. :lol: I've had more than my share of fun since my last post to this thread, climbed a lot in different areas around the world, and snapped more than a few thousand pictures. Sure beats getting a job and being successful in my book. :wink:

popol

Sep 6, 2005, 8:38 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My goal for next season: shoot decent pictures, climb 7a (5.11c/d). Hard to unite...

krillen

Sep 9, 2005, 9:55 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jump in the "Way Back" machine much? :lol:

Last summer I sprained both ankles in separate events, 6 weeks apart. So my climbing went straight down the can. In the fall we bought and renovated a house, and in the spring we had a baby...so climbing hasn't gotten much better.

however I HAVE had sucsess in removing hotspots...and my focus in getting better, not perfect though....and not much climbing related photography... :?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook