RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

gogo

Apr 22, 2004, 4:00 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Sport Climbs in WA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm planning on going to college at University of Puget Sound, and was wondering about the sport climbing (and bouldering) in the area. I know it rains a lot, which seems like it might become an issue. I'll definetely have a car with me, so any climbing within a few hours is all good.
Thanks,
Mike

wanlessrm

Apr 22, 2004, 4:20 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sport Climbs in WA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Leavenworth
Two days there was not enough. Worth the drive!

mtman

Apr 22, 2004, 4:35 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

besides levanworth you have exit 38 and 32 off of I-90 by north bend, frenchmans colie or vantage, index rocks andsevral others. check out the routes section they all are in there. i go the the UW so if you have any more questions about where to go pm me.

mtman

crackjammer

Apr 22, 2004, 4:36 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Exit 32 (Little Si), Exit 38, Leavenworth, Squamish.

larscolorado

May 8, 2004, 6:18 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you ever make it out to the east side of the state (where I am, at Whitworth College), there will be less rain and there's also a great bouldering, sport climbing area at a location near Spokane, called Minnehaha. And although I've never been to Leavenworth (to climb, at least), I've heard so much about it, I can't wait to try it out!

jookyhead

May 8, 2004, 7:22 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Leavenworth has some quality bouldering and a lot of trad, but not much sport. Exit 38 and Exit 32 are both good sport climbing areas and only about 50 minutes away. Fossil rock has some fun sport climbing and some bouldering and is maybe a 45 minute drive. Vantage is worth the drive and offers good trad and sport, plus it's WARM there. If you wanna drive a little ways, head up to Squamish for bouldering, or down to Smith for sport.

Partner iclimbtoo

May 8, 2004, 8:29 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gogo, I'm moving out to Tacoma the end of May. If you need a climbing bud sometime, let me know. It doesn't rain as much out there as everyone thinks. But, when it is I guess there's some decent gyms around too. Plus Smith Rock is only a couple hours away.

Also - does anyone know anything about a 23 pitch or so sport climb in the Cascades around the Seattle area? I heard there was one that was like 5.8 with a pitch of .10d. Any beta would be awesome.

rckjck12a

May 22, 2004, 1:27 AM
Post #8 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pick up a copy of rock climbing washington. It pretty much covers wa in a nut shell

Partner russman

May 22, 2004, 2:31 AM
Post #9 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone interested in the Frenchman Coulee thing...drop em a note...I am 15 minutes from there...and would love to try and hook up or if nothign else, give you an idea of what to look for and local weather updates....soon to be BLAZIN HOT!

In reply to:
Plus Smith Rock is only a couple hours away.

As far as being a couple hours away...if you are talkign about from Tacoma...you are roughly 8 hours from Smith...proabaly more....it is a lot further away than ppl think :shock: But well worth the drive....

"note to self...must make it back to Smith"

chalkyhandsman

May 22, 2004, 3:05 AM
Post #10 of 10 (2463 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Also - does anyone know anything about a 23 pitch or so sport climb in the Cascades around the Seattle area? I heard there was one that was like 5.8 with a pitch of .10d. Any beta would be awesome.
I believe what your talking about is static point. It is exactly as you explained it, except its 6 pitches and the 2nd to last pitch (crux) is rated 5.10b. There are other longer muiltipitch climbs in Washington like exfoliation dome, 3'oclock rock, and green giant butress which has 10 pitches. Trails.com or rock climbing washington both have very good beta on all these routes and more. Some good places to climb in Washington are Index, peshastian, Leavenworth (icicle, tumwater: castle rock, midnight rock, noontime rock), darrington, exits 38 and 32, ect.) Enjoy.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook