RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Partner coldclimb

Apr 28, 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #1 of 4 (2151 views)
Shortcut

softpointing a slackline
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can someone point me to an explanation of softpointing a slackline? I know what it does, but I've never seen the procedure explained, so I don't know exactly how one would do it, and I'm curious. Any info?

Partner slacklinejoe

Apr 28, 2004, 3:40 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Re: softpointing a slackline [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=686565

From what I can tell, there are lots of specific ways of doing it, but the gist is the same.

Basically, you clove hitch (or slide lock) another peice of webbing or rope where you'd start your tightening system on your main line (say 5 feet before the end) and use that second peice to tighten the line. Work that peice through the tightening system leaving the webbing after the clove hitch on the main line just laying there. Tension the line using whatever method (pulley systems, biners, ratchets - doesn't matter).

Once desired tension is set or maybe a little tigher since you might a little slippage, take the main line after the clove hitch and tie it off tightly to the tree. You should be able to remove the tensioning system at that point (minus the biner in the clove).

I hope that made sense - let me know if it didn't. I'd take a pic but my camera broke :(

BTW: I typically use slide locks because (a) I have lots of them lying around and (b) you can slide them out of the way after removing the tightening system (c) no knots.

ammon

Apr 28, 2004, 4:13 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Basically, you clove hitch (or slide lock) another peice of webbing or rope where you'd start your tightening system on your main line (say 5 feet before the end) and use that second peice to tighten the line. Work that peice through the tightening system leaving the webbing after the clove hitch on the main line just laying there. Tension the line using whatever method (pulley systems, biners, ratchets - doesn't matter).

Not sure I understood what you're doing here.

Soft-pointing is a technique that Dean developed for highlines and is also used on ground lines that is left for an extended period.

The idea is to remove every piece of hardware in the system except the biners that are attached to the bolt hangers. All the other biners are replaced with a threaded (11/16") donut and backed up with another 1", just like the actual highline. Or they are removed all together depending on twists and setup situations.

There are a few different ways to go about doing this and you have to get the line tighter than you want it, as slacklinejoe suggested. There's also better gear used in the rigging industry to replace the climbing gear.

For example: Biners and webbing are replaced with shackles and spansets.

The reason for soft-pointing is because the webbing wears down from the aluminum while walking, bouncing, swinging, etc.

Cheers, Ammon

Partner slacklinejoe

Apr 28, 2004, 7:18 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ammon,

Thanks as always.

I'd always heard the term "softpoint" in context as just a way of removing the tightening system from a line while retaining tension. To be more clear, what I attempted to describe was just one of the ways many ways of removing the tightening system leaving minimal or no hardware on the line.

Happen to have a link or a photo? I'm not sure I follow where the webbing "doughnuts" came into play (carabiner replacements?)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook