RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

theexp

Apr 20, 2004, 1:40 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Buying Climbing shoes???Advice please
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been climbing (indoors only) for about 7 or 8 months just wearing my regular shoes or renting climbing shoes from the place but sadly this is expensive ($2 a climb) :cry:I climb 4 or 5 times a week ussally. So I am thinking about investing in a pair of climbing shoes. Can I have some advice about buying climbing shoes and the fitting of climbing shoes. Like the sizing. Also wear to buy the shoes. I wear a size 9 shoe (I am only 13) and I am thinking to spend between $60-$120. Thanks for your advice.

bmoscon

Apr 20, 2004, 3:17 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Re: Buying Climbing shoes???Advice please [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when you buy shoes you wanna get them as tight as you can without them being horribly uncomfortable to wear for an extended period of time. keep in mind they will strech (depending on the lining of the shoe). i have 2 pairs of shoes, one is a whole size smaller than what i normally wear and the other is only a half size smaller. go and try them one and see what feels best.

jonf

Apr 20, 2004, 3:17 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My best advice is to try the shoes on!
try the many different companies and brands, and in various sizes
because climbing shoes are worn so tight they are heavily dependent on the shape of the shoes and how it works with the personal shape of your foot. The shoe that is going to work the best for you is the one that fits your foot the best. So try to avoid ordering shoes online based just on reviews and such.

tor2

Apr 20, 2004, 3:23 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a La Sportiva Cobra, love them.
A lot o friends bough MAd Rock Hoker and Mugen, the rubber wear off quick, but are quite good.
The stealth C4 are awesome, altough a think the shape are not so good.

for 120, you can buy almoust anything, but as you describe yourself as bouderer, a would sugest La Sportivas cobra (good close out discounts), Venom, Katana; 5.10 Dragon (good close out discount), Anasazi velcro.
You may check out MAd Rocks and Boreals.

Hope it helps.

Partner cliffhanger9

Apr 20, 2004, 3:29 AM
Post #5 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey welcome to rc.com

i know this wont answer all your questions but check out our new gear guide for a whole list of shoes including their prices, descriptions, and reviews and ratings from other climbers on the site who have had experiences with them

SHOES!

also try the search a bit too there really is ALOT of info on shoes on this site

good lcuky and rock on!! :mrgreen:

couloir

Apr 20, 2004, 4:03 AM
Post #6 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your going to be climbing indoors mostly, it would be good to go with a slipper style shoe. They give good sensitivity and are easy-on easy-off, as well as cheaper than most lace ups of similar performance. But if you haven't been climbing that long you'll do better to stay away from the high performance shoes such as the V10's, dragons, venoms, anasazis, etc. They are generally uncomfortable, and if you haven't mastered your footwork then they don't provide you with advantages. But as everyone says, find a pair that fit your feet good. Some suggestions:Moccasym, Zlipper(if you have strong feet), cobra, vortex, or Tora. But you should definitely own a pair of shoes if you're climbing that often.

cyborg_corp

Apr 21, 2004, 10:19 AM
Post #7 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since you're 13, you still have a lot of growing left so my advice is either don't buy shoes, or buy extremley cheap ones. I'm around the age where I'm pretty much done growing and I just bought my first shoes, even though I've been climbing a while.

spivey

Apr 21, 2004, 4:22 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

realize your foot is going to grow, your only 13. I bought the right size shoe about your age, and still climb in it sometimes. now it's a little tight, but its the way it should be. ignore what everyone else is saying about tight shoes, get a comfy pair of mythos that fit but leave room for you to grow into them

scottratcliff

Apr 24, 2004, 4:11 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry, I'm going to have to dissagree. I would say buy a shoe (Cobra is my fav) that is a tiny, tiny bit too small. It will stretch and eventually you will get used to it. Again, you're only 13, your feet will grow. However, by the time you need new shoes if you're climbing 4-5 times a week they'll be worn out from wear and tear before they get too small.

the_antoon

Apr 24, 2004, 4:52 AM
Post #10 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get your shoes horribly small...but make sure your toes are tight on the end. You want the shoe to be in contact with every part of your foot if possible and at the same time you don't want to be on the verge of crying every time you put them on. Just try them on and ask for some help and advice when you are at the shop.

aclimbingbum

Apr 24, 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #11 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Be careful as these will be your first pair of shoes you will probably rip them up in a year make shore you don’t get them to expensive don’t go for a technical pare either just a simple pare would be best I would recommend some mad rocks as they are cheap but make shore you get them small probably 2-3 sizes less than your street size hope this helps you

Ps if there uncomfortable don’t get them

supermollie33

Apr 29, 2004, 6:44 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I began climbing about 6 years ago and bought a pair ofshoes that were inexpensive, but so uncomfortable. I stopped climbing, and just recently took it up again. If you are progressing fast, you may want a tighter shoe, but if you still have a lot work to do on your technique, you may want to get a more comfortable shoe. If you go to a place like REI, you can try them on and climb on the rock there to check them for comfort. Since I am just starting again, I purchased the 5.10 Spire. It is not a high-performance shoe, but it works for my skill level and it is comfortable. Mad Rock makes a nice inexpensive beginner shoe as well. You are kind of in a bind because you are still growing. If you are just trying to save money, you could always look into buying a used shoe too. :D

dontfall

Apr 30, 2004, 3:24 AM
Post #13 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

dontfall moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dontfall moved this thread from Beginners to Gear Heads.

overlord

Apr 30, 2004, 6:49 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Re: dontfall moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good things for a begginers shoe:

a) comfy
b) offers good support
c) lined so it wont stretch too much (so you can get a larger size and comply with a)
d) durable

so with all this criteria, i would storngly suggest la sportiva mythos. la sportiva katanas and miuras are also very good. 5.10s are good too but not as durable. if you want extra support (if youre a big heavy climber) go for 5.10 anasazi mesas).

wrbill

Apr 30, 2004, 9:28 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Get the May issue of Rock & Ice they have a great review of shoes. I think it will help you out a lot.

el_trevor

Apr 30, 2004, 3:04 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2434 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i suggest red chili dos equios , they are one of the best shoes ive worn , they edge like a mug , or the la sportiva venoms

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook