Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbhigh2005

Apr 29, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #1 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Climbing trip in Southeast...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My climbing partner want to go ona climbing, mtn biking, kayaking, whatever outdoors trip with my foriegn exchanges tudent before he leaves... We are planning on being gone for about 3-4 days... and we want to get as much climbing ina s possible, and if we can mtn bike, canoe, kayak or whatever as means of transporttaion that would be wonderful... or we could just car camp and travel to different places... either way we have no idea where to go.... any suggestions? anywhere in KY, NC, WV, VI, SC, TN, AL, or GA would be nice... thanks!
Melissa

andy_reagan

Apr 29, 2004, 10:23 PM
Post #2 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing trip in Southeast... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the mountain biking in tsali (NC) will make you want to stop rock climbing foreva. Over 60 miles of singletrack. It's gnarly.

toddtar

Apr 29, 2004, 10:35 PM
Post #3 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Take a look at Pisgah, NC. Great Climbing, Mountain Biking and the French Broad River. The Nantahala is only a short drive away, 1 hour or so. You can't go wrong with either.

climbhigh2005

Apr 30, 2004, 2:03 AM
Post #4 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Take a look at Pisgah, NC. Great Climbing, Mountain Biking and the French Broad River. The Nantahala is only a short drive away, 1 hour or so. You can't go wrong with either.

where is there to climb? I've been down the french broad and nanahala before.. good rivers!

graysondamondamian

Apr 30, 2004, 2:05 AM
Post #5 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking Glass, Cedar Rock, Big Green, Little Green, John's Rock...all in or extremely close to Pisgah.

8^)

tenn_dawg

Apr 30, 2004, 2:27 AM
Post #6 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Looking Glass, Cedar Rock, Big Green, Little Green, John's Rock...all in or extremely close to Pisgah.

8^)

As cool as big green and little green are, I would never recommend them to anyone. That stuff is WAY too out there for a casual climber. I've still think about Big Green on occation and get that far away look in my eyes...

Why don't y'all go up to the Red River Gorge. It's a pretty cool climbing scene and since you haven't been yet, you'd probably really enjoy it. On that note, the New River Gorge is a cool place to take a road trip to as well. I'm only the rankest of beginner kayakers, but even I know that the rivers up there are well known in those circles.

You will find good mountain biking pretty much anywhere you go in the east. I'd be careful going to really well known places if you're in the least bit out of shape. While some have good runs, remember you've got to get back up all those hills again. I've puked prolifically while getting in over my head on a mountain bike.

BTW, have you got any dates in mind? I'd like to see Christoff again before he heads back east, and I may have some free time.

Good luck putting this together!

toddtar

Apr 30, 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #7 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking glass has a lot of routes. You can also climb at Whitesides in Natahalla, if it's open, but that some big stuff. Here's a link http://www.southeastclimbing.com/...ina/whiteside_mt.htm

climbhigh2005

Apr 30, 2004, 11:01 AM
Post #8 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="tenn_dawg"]
In reply to:

8^)[/quote As cool as big green and little green are, I would never recommend them to anyone. That stuff is WAY too out there for a casual climber. I've still think about Big Green on occation and get that far away look in my eyes...

Why don't y'all go up to the Red River Gorge. It's a pretty cool climbing scene and since you haven't been yet, you'd probably really enjoy it. On that note, the New River Gorge is a cool place to take a road trip to as well. I'm only the rankest of beginner kayakers, but even I know that the rivers up there are well known in those circles.

You will find good mountain biking pretty much anywhere you go in the east. I'd be careful going to really well known places if you're in the least bit out of shape. While some have good runs, remember you've got to get back up all those hills again. I've puked prolifically while getting in over my head on a mountain bike.

BTW, have you got any dates in mind? I'd like to see Christoff again before he heads back east, and I may have some free time.

Good luck putting this together!

sometime June 13-19 probably... cause that is our own free week... Red River Gorge sounds nice and so does the new river gorge... Joseph and Hillary ( the couple you met Sat) have ag ood friends.. Rob Turan that lives near NRG, and we've been meaning to plan a trip there sometime now... thank!

charma

Apr 30, 2004, 11:27 AM
Post #9 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should try making it down to Arkansas. Horseshoe Canyon Ranch has amazing sport climbing on incredible sandstone. They have bolted routes from 5.5 to I think almost 5.13. You can go to thier website, www.climbhcr.com and print off a route map. They are also right near the Buffalo National River which is known for canoeing. The river runs through a valley surrounded by 250ft bluffs, also great river climbing. The best section is to put in at Ponca and go as far as you want. There is camping right along the Buffalo river. Whatever you end up doing have fun!

climbhigh2005

Apr 30, 2004, 11:43 AM
Post #10 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You should try making it down to Arkansas. Horseshoe Canyon Ranch has amazing sport climbing on incredible sandstone. They have bolted routes from 5.5 to I think almost 5.13. You can go to thier website, www.climbhcr.com and print off a route map. They are also right near the Buffalo National River which is known for canoeing. The river runs through a valley surrounded by 250ft bluffs, also great river climbing. The best section is to put in at Ponca and go as far as you want. There is camping right along the Buffalo river. Whatever you end up doing have fun!

sounds like it would make a great road trip.. maybe longer than 3 days tho... Simon and I may "pencil that in" :wink: some time after Christoph leaves.... thanks for the suggestion!

bumblie

Apr 30, 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #11 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Tsali option is great for biking and whitewater, but lacks decent rock. The Brevard area has Lookingglass and tons of excellent biking, but I'm not sure about whitewater. Seems like the Green River, south of Brevard has some good whitewater. If you want to show your friend some really pretty mountains, I'd go with western NC.

If you do go with NC, send me a PM. I'll give you the lowdown on where to climb and camp.

Partner j_ung

Apr 30, 2004, 1:17 PM
Post #12 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The Tsali option is great for biking and whitewater, but lacks decent rock. The Brevard area has Lookingglass and tons of excellent biking, but I'm not sure about whitewater. Seems like the Green River, south of Brevard has some good whitewater. If you want to show your friend some really pretty mountains, I'd go with western NC.

If you do go with NC, send me a PM. I'll give you the lowdown on where to climb and camp.

I second that. And few people have as much NC beta swimmin' around their brains as bumblie.

However... at the risk of gettin' the slap-down from my NC peeps... the New has a wider range of difficulties in all three disciplines than does the Pisgah region of NC. It also has the widest range of climbing styles available, i.e., trad, sport and bouldering. Pisgah trad climbing is a discipline unto itself.

If you end up in NC, please consider me another source of info and tours.

cjstudent

Apr 30, 2004, 1:28 PM
Post #13 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whitesides is not a small climbing project either.

The Linville gorge area has lots of climbing and hiking, i am not sure about white water though since thats not my thing.

bumblie

Apr 30, 2004, 1:41 PM
Post #14 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The New is definitely the ideal climbing destination. Great scenery, numerous TR and easy(5.7-5.9) sport routes, great whitewater, good mountainbiking (I hear) and Rogers.

Recommended NC because it's an excellent option and it's two hours closer than the New. The downside is the only Lookingglass route I'd recommend (for June) is The Nose. And get on it early, while it's in the shade.

jkarns

Apr 30, 2004, 1:50 PM
Post #15 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you thought about the INSANE amount of gear you're going to need to bring for a four day trip??

I hope you've got a huge car with an enormous roofrack!

fitzontherocks

Apr 30, 2004, 2:42 PM
Post #16 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second charma's nomination of Arkansas (just a couple hours drive from TN). Check out arkansas.com and pull down the "Outdoors" menu. If you HQ in the Ozarks, you can paddle three or four great rivers, climb at Horseshoe Canyon, Sam's Throne or Mt Magazine, bike some awesome trails and more. For biking, the Womble Trail is a little farther south, but it was named one of Outside Magazine's 50 Great Adventures last year. And the Ozark Highlands trail is beautiful for hiking. PM me if you want more specifics.

keinangst

Apr 30, 2004, 2:51 PM
Post #17 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I second charma's nomination of Arkansas (just a couple hours drive from TN).

Have y'all ever driven across TN east-west? It's almost the size of Texas! AR might be a little ambitious unless you live in Memphis...

joshj

Apr 30, 2004, 3:16 PM
Post #18 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Melissa,
I would second the Red or the New. With only a few days, you'll want to get where you're going pretty quickly and spend as much time there as possible. Both places have great climbing, good mountain biking, and water sports (kayaking, canoeing, etc.). Of course, the Red has a couple unique "world-famous" features... our hospitality and Miguel's pizza! :)
Just my own 2 cents.
josh

bumblie

Apr 30, 2004, 3:44 PM
Post #19 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Temp and humidity wise, The New is probably your best bet. And you can climb at Endless Wall in the Summer!!!

clymber

Apr 30, 2004, 4:28 PM
Post #20 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

id try to goto the New River Gorge...I know theres white water there not to sure about the mt biking but in my opinion thats alot to try and do in 4 days...

Partner j_ung

Apr 30, 2004, 4:35 PM
Post #21 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Have you thought about the INSANE amount of gear you're going to need to bring for a four day trip??

Especially for a four-day climbing/paddling/biking trip! I hope you have a trailer!

charma

Apr 30, 2004, 4:40 PM
Post #22 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you decide to go to Horseshoe Canyon Ranch and canoe the buffalo all you would have to bring is your rope and gear. There are outfitters along the Buffalo that rent kayaks, canoes and rafts. It's pretty cheap too. This would save you a lot of room. The weather is not to hot either around this time.

climbhigh2005

May 1, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #23 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Especially for a four-day climbing/paddling/biking trip! I hope you have a trailer!

Well we have a truck with a camper top in the back and it has a backseat... We also have bike racks, but I dont know about the kayaks... we might not be able to do thme (just meat up with some people or something)... we also have a trailor if we need it...

We may just make it a climbing trip... who knows... we are still in the planning process... NC is sounding good just because of all the hospitality... you all make me feel welcome before I am even there... Thanks! :)

climbhigh2005

May 1, 2004, 12:28 AM
Post #24 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I second charma's nomination of Arkansas (just a couple hours drive from TN). Check out arkansas.com and pull down the "Outdoors" menu. If you HQ in the Ozarks, you can paddle three or four great rivers, climb at Horseshoe Canyon, Sam's Throne or Mt Magazine, bike some awesome trails and more. For biking, the Womble Trail is a little farther south, but it was named one of Outside Magazine's 50 Great Adventures last year. And the Ozark Highlands trail is beautiful for hiking. PM me if you want more specifics.

It maybe close to TN, but I live in EAST TN!

seanb

May 1, 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #25 of 38 (4941 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you decide on visiting NC, you're welcome to pm me as I live here and I can steer you to some nice climbing. Western NC has stacks of climbin', bikin', & boatin', so bring it!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook