RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

jorian_nl

May 2, 2004, 7:41 PM
Post #1 of 10 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Grades?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

there are so much different climbing grades could annybody give my some advice?

jcr

May 2, 2004, 8:24 PM
Post #2 of 10 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Re: Grades? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What kind of advice????

JC

collegekid

May 2, 2004, 8:25 PM
Post #3 of 10 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ignore grades and have fun.

lovesclimbing

May 2, 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Class 1-6 is the way or idea of moving over terrain. 1 would be like a field, 2 a hill no hands, 3 steeper some hands and the odd balance movement in there, 4 just more of the same. Some people may start using ropes in the higher end of this. Class 5 is when you have to climb to that grade. Class 6 is where aid is involved, some just do not use this class, but just incase you hear this.

Commitment grades will vary between big wall and alpine. I'm not the best to tell you big wall commitment so I will stay out of that as well.
Grade I to VII in alpine will go between the danger and the length of the approach, the length and dangers on the climb such as avy danger and serac fall.

V is for bouldering, I'm not into that stuff so ask someone else.

5.0-5.15 and up and up is free climbing in which you do not need anything else to aid you to climb.

When an r is in the rating, it means run out, and x means that there is very bad pro that could result in a bad fall or the possibility of falling into something.

A is for aid such as A0-A5, A0 like a bolt ladder or pulling on gear up to A5 where no piece of pro and even maybe the anchors would pull in the event of a fall. C is also for aid but means Clean, so you shouldn’t nail in or use bolts. It will go with passive and active pro but no pins.

WI is waterfall ice, and that goes from 1-8, 1 being a skating rink and just goes up from there to overhanging ice with difficulty getting pro.

M is for mixed climbing, I don't know a lot about that as well so someone else will have to help you out.

Mainly in the alpine will you find almost all the grades mixed in together such as IV 5.7 A2 4 which means is commitment grade IV, chances are that your out for a couple of days unless your fast, you have some subjective hazards of some avalance/serac but if you move fast should be minimal and retreat should be within reason easy. 5.7 is 5.7 but always remember that if your out of a gym or sport setting that you may have to place gear, carry a pack, wear heavy boots, deal with storms and foul weather so keep that in mind that a 5.7 could start to feel like a 5. fricking hard. A2 is aid of course and it is way to long of a topic to get into. Ask in the aid forum. And the 4 will be waterfall ice, again remember that in the alpine it could be very rotten and even missing. So a grade like the one above is fairly hard, not world class but you'd want a couple of years under your belt.

Grades are the one thing that almost no one can agree on, I can only imagine that 90% of everyone is going to jump on me from there idea of there grades to my spelling so keep in mind that grades are a interpretation of that climb and how they felt that day. So I hope that was the answer to the open ended question and to everyone else feel free to b!tch and tear this apart.
:D

brutusofwyde

May 3, 2004, 1:19 AM
Post #5 of 10 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What abous HVS, VS, ES, B1, B2, B3, F7, Alaska Grade IV, and Canadian Rockies V, 5.9 A2?

lovesclimbing

May 3, 2004, 1:31 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would love to go into the V 5.9 A2 but since it would only be second hand info right now I will wait until I can grovel up it.

trad_man

May 3, 2004, 2:53 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

**sniff sniff** eewww!!! did somebody just troll?!!

lovesclimbing

May 3, 2004, 3:37 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What? :wtf:

musicman

May 3, 2004, 4:16 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try searching for climbing grades here at rc.com, they have a great chart type thing that shows all the comparsions

goodwholesomeboy

May 21, 2004, 9:05 PM
Post #10 of 10 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if i were you i wouldn't worry about them, nobody likes a number chaser. enjoy climbing for what it is.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook