RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

krillen

May 5, 2004, 1:56 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Krillen - May5/04
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.two0six.com/...er_BraveNewWorld.jpg

Hey guys, what do you think.

My main complaint is the loss of her hand at the top, but what is you initial reaction? I have other concerns but I'll save them until later. ;)

K

unabonger

May 5, 2004, 2:46 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Re: Krillen - May5/04 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Would be nice but for the hand thing and the guy gaping in the background. The climbing action is decent and so is the composition, maybe a bit vanilla but if it is simplified a bit it would make a nice shot.

krillen

May 5, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

heh, the guy gaping in the background is actually there to keep you from rolling into the river when you fall. ;)

Partner jammer

May 5, 2004, 9:11 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like the way the pastal yellow of her shirt and the pastal blue of the water complament each other. With the rock as focused as it is, the harmony of nature stands out ... rock, climber, water and earth. The sharpness of the dudes shirt and the off color of the pad removes them from the natural setting, as it should be. Nice!

melekzek

May 5, 2004, 9:43 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Not only the shirt of the belayer, but his whole being distracts the natural setting imho. I do not care much about the climbers hand, it looks like she is holding onto the frame :lol:, and it does not lead my eye out of the frame. the color of the shirt matches overexposed background very nicely.
handjammer48 has a nice point here. With the boldering shots, you might want either a nice action/struggle/cool problem, or some sort of solitude in nature and lone boulderer trying to reach nirvana (huh?). As it is pointed to me many many times, what is your subject here? route, bolder, boldering itself, spotting, friendship, hanging out, idyllic setting?
You have a nice natural setting, yet we barely see it, and the trees cramped in front of the water is just distracting. They would not distract that much, if it was a wider shot showing a larger portion of the setting.
Is it fill flash? It kind of feels that way, the lighting on the foreground rock looks unnatural.
Finally, sunglasses will kill any decent shot.

climbsomething

May 5, 2004, 10:13 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good timing- I don't know how much she's struggling or how hard the problem is but by the looks of her well-developed arms, it sure looks challenging. Maybe if her face were tilted up just a tad, but your subject looks pretty solid as she is.

The guy in the background, if he needs to be there, should be actively engaged in spotting- he looks bored and that brings down the nice climbing moment you captured. Their arms also blend together kinda funky. I like the splash of color he brings though. The blue-yellow looks good together. One of him climbing with the girl spotting would be good too.

Partner philbox

May 5, 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, buffed and honed, oh you mean you wanted to know what I think of the pic (slaps self upside of head).

I reckon if the guy were to simply be a little closer and have his right hand poised to catch the climber then it would work so much better, either that or get rid of him altogether. It seems to me that we as action photographers are a little inept at directing a shot prior to clicking the pic. I think that I`m gunna be working on this a little more. Of course one does not want to lose the immediacy and drama of the action by setting up poses too much.

I do know that Simon Carter gets his athletes to run laps on problems so that they look like they are burning out and just about to fall off. This adds to the drama of an action shot.

Why is it that some shots look flat but when you are there seeing the action it is not flat at all. It might be something to do with the two dimensional nature of the medium we work in so thus we need to capture emotion and drama more than trying to recreate the essence of the three dimensional space. I`m thinking that we need to relearn the lessons of the old masters and their paintings and statues. They understood how to instill the third dimension into flat media. They could trick the eye into believeing something that actually wasn`t there.

melekzek

May 6, 2004, 6:28 AM
Post #8 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I do know that Simon Carter gets his athletes to run laps on problems so that they look like they are burning out and just about to fall off. This adds to the drama of an action shot.

i have heard the exact same thing for heinz zak :shock:

Partner philbox

May 6, 2004, 7:10 AM
Post #9 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

i have heard the exact same thing for heinz zak :shock:

Heh, I think Neil (orangeoverhang) does this too.

unabonger

May 6, 2004, 12:49 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Why is it that some shots look flat but when you are there seeing the action it is not flat at all. It might be something to do with the two dimensional nature of the medium we work in so thus we need to capture emotion and drama more than trying to recreate the essence of the three dimensional space. I`m thinking that we need to relearn the lessons of the old masters and their paintings and statues. They understood how to instill the third dimension into flat media. They could trick the eye into believeing something that actually wasn`t there.

Yes! Perspective, shading, color.

For depth perspective, some element should pull the eye through the front to the back of the picture. Light and its absence create a sense of relative distance and shape. And in painting the main subject is usually a richer color. Background is usually lighter, more washed out colors.

This photo needs something that shows depth. Right now it almost looks like two pictures could've been superimposed. One of the spotter/gaper, one of the climber. Needs something to tie it together, doesn't it?

UB

krillen

May 6, 2004, 3:27 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.two0six.com/...r_BraveNewWorld2.jpg

How 'bout this?

There was no fill flash on the other shot, but limestone has a habit of coming up washed out looking like that. It's very frustrating.

melekzek

May 6, 2004, 3:39 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it works for me better. apparently the background trees were even more distracting than i thought. you need to do a cleaner job though, :twisted:
while you are there, i would try blur the spotter as well, but %50 percent compared to the background or something to keep the illusion of dof.

krillen

May 6, 2004, 3:47 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually I did blur him out some...I tried further and it looks like almost too much. I'll try it again.

WHOA, I just noticed now, what a crappy job I did with the masking! DAMN I suck.

the_pirate

May 7, 2004, 5:26 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you are going to alter the picture, why not go all the way.

lose the dude...

this might be getting into some gray areas regarding climbing photography being an honest representation of events, but the tangling of his arm with hers really squashes a good picture.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook