RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

tplg00

May 6, 2004, 1:49 AM
Post #1 of 3 (893 views)
Shortcut

Where to climb?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am slowly gaining high altitude experience and for my next step I was considering the volcanoes of Mexico or Ecuador, but I have met a few climbers lately that have informed me to skip these sites altogether and head directly for Nepal (better climbing, experiences etc.)
Any advice?
Thanks,
Tim

atg200

May 6, 2004, 5:55 PM
Post #2 of 3 (893 views)
Shortcut

Re: Where to climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like terrible advice to me, especially if you live in north or south america. mexico is a very good place for a first high altitude experience - the mountains are very easy but fun, and it is a good place to learn about getting around a foreign country with a different language while carrying lots of gear. ecuador is similar, but less english is spoken and the mountains are a bit more involved. peru is a good step up after that, and you ceratinly can't equal the amount of high quality alpine climbing on big peaks you get for your dollar and time in nepal.

above all, the highlights of my numerous climbing trips to south america and mexico have been the local people. the food is great, the scenery outstanding, the cities are fun, and i've made friends that i keep in touch with many years later.

tplg00

May 7, 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #3 of 3 (893 views)
Shortcut

Re: Where to climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for your advice, it means a lot coming from someone who has as much experience as you obviously have from the look of your bio. Staying in the Western Hemisphere just makes good sense, thanks for reinforcing my decision to head South and not East.
Tim

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook