Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

wallwombat

Mar 29, 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #26 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Re: long term effects of climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
i knwo that this is not exactly a nice thing to post here but then its a fact and all of us might as weel be aware of it rather than ignorant.....
i would like to know what problems are associated with long term climbing./...,,,i have a friend of mine who is 36 and he has arthritis on his nuckles cause of climbing too hard.... he says that he tried to push himself too hard.... i would like to know if there are more problems like this...and if there are any ways to better prevnt them.....if anyone know a website please let me know...
thanks a lot for the answers...

Sounds like your friend is a big sissy. Long term, climbing can cause loss of money, smelly shoes, and excessive gear envy. Thats the downside. The real effects are more a positive outlook on life, rejection of narrow thought, and a more fulfilled life.

If you are that worried about it, take up knitting. But be careful you and your candy a## friend don't poke your hands with the big needles.

Im 36 and I have arthritis in my knuckles (although I don't think it is from climbing too hard). I think my problem was that I climbed lots of cracks. The constant torqueing of my fingers was what caused the arthritis to eventually set in. Those joints are only meant to bend one way. All that said, I still climb cracks and I still torque my fingers. My knuckles just hurt when I do it.

the_antoon

Mar 29, 2004, 1:35 AM
Post #27 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm 18. I took about 6 months off cause of school. That entire time I had horrible tedonitis in my wrists. After climbing one time, the tendonitis went away and i feel great. I have been training seriously for about a month or two and havn't felt a tweek of pain (bad pain) since.

Just keep climbing and there aren't any effects. If you stop, that's when to get worried.

dredsovrn

Mar 29, 2004, 9:29 PM
Post #28 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
to dredsovrn:

I think maybe you're being a bit harsh. how old are you ? you're either too young to have started developing problems or you're one of the lucky ones. either way dissing someone because of concern over injury doesn't make it. 36 is a bit early to be falling apart, but it happens. I know guys climbing 12+ at age 57 but I also have a friend who once was much better than me who had to quit climbing in his forties because the tendons in his hands became such a mangled mess he could no longer straighten them out. It hits everybody differently. Best thing you can to is train intelligently, and over the long haul maybe you'll be ok.
But never quit climbing no matter what, its too good for the head.

There can be no question that I was being too harsh. In fact, I said his friend was a big pus@y, not sissie. It appears that the site automatically changes that word. I thought in lessened my harsh tone and was thus disappointed.

To answer your question I am 35 and lots of stuff hurts when I climb. Sometimes it hurts worse the next day, and even worse the day after that. It kind of comes with the sport. I was also being a bit facetious. A bit.

tempestwind

Mar 29, 2004, 9:48 PM
Post #29 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Being broke, loss of "non-climbing" friends, inability to hold on to serious relationships, inability to hold a steady job, strong affinity for skipping out of work on sunny days (or not so sunny days in extreme cases), fear of commitment to anything but a route (or a dream), long gnarled hair, leather like skin (especially the hands) , aches and pains in parts of your body you didn't know you had, rusty beat up vehicles that may get you to the climb (but probably not back), and a whole plethora of other effects...

:wink: Just kidding man... I had to do it...
Man, I thought I was the only one. Since climbing has exploded within my Soul, My life has never been the same. It has been an inner war though because the only time I am happiest is when I am among the Mountains.Nothing else matters. To me I was given a key to the Kingdom of Truth. On the other side of it is> How to support oneself let alone a family>The other is the Time with my family I have a little 7 month daughter.She is indeed a miracle. I am complete but not one without the other. I wonder how Ed Viesters copes the time away(so many months) from his children?

vijovar

Mar 30, 2004, 3:36 PM
Post #30 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
to dredsovrn:

I think maybe you're being a bit harsh. how old are you ? you're either too young to have started developing problems or you're one of the lucky ones. either way dissing someone because of concern over injury doesn't make it. 36 is a bit early to be falling apart, but it happens. I know guys climbing 12+ at age 57 but I also have a friend who once was much better than me who had to quit climbing in his forties because the tendons in his hands became such a mangled mess he could no longer straighten them out. It hits everybody differently. Best thing you can to is train intelligently, and over the long haul maybe you'll be ok.
But never quit climbing no matter what, its too good for the head.

There can be no question that I was being too harsh. In fact, I said his friend was a big pus@y, not sissie. It appears that the site automatically changes that word. I thought in lessened my harsh tone and was thus disappointed.

To answer your question I am 35 and lots of stuff hurts when I climb. Sometimes it hurts worse the next day, and even worse the day after that. It kind of comes with the sport. I was also being a bit facetious. A bit.

36...and still not grown up yet. i understand your passion for climbing and well i'm not gonna let you act like a child and start about that you've got more passion than me.......but the fact is that its true at times we have to accept the fact that climbing has its negative sides too...being ignorant about somehthing does not make it go away......as for the love for climbing.... i'm never gonna quit .... but was just trying to educate myself a little more. sorry if it bothered you

scracus

May 3, 2004, 5:39 AM
Post #31 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll be 36 this year and next year I'll have been a climber for twenty years. I have mild arthritis in all my fingers and bursitus in both shoulders and my tights are torn too! My advise to young climbers would be to make sure and not over-do it. There is always another day. I have found that I feel much better if I keep in shape and the people that have posted about "keep moving" are right all the way. Mix up your training: rope climb a lot, boulder a lot, workout in a climbing gym if you have to, hit the weights and cross train cardio. Watch pulling plastic as it tends to strain the fingers easy and even though bouldering is the most fun for me I have to watch it cuz it is the hardest on your fingers. I've blown three different fingers that put me on the bench for extended periods and all of them bouldering. Granted, two of them I rushed my training and then was pulling too hard on holds that were too small while I was too heavy, too bad. But I'm in way better shape than most poeple my age and I can still get a couple of one arms with either arm and I am hoping to climb another twenty years and I think that I may still be able to hit a career best rope climb. I don't know about boulder, but there have been many times that I thought, "there's no way I'll do something harder than that", and I always have. Train smart and hard and things will be good.

curt

May 3, 2004, 5:57 AM
Post #32 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure that, for me, the worst long term (chronic) health impact of climbing has been to my liver.

Curt

cliffmonkey2003

May 3, 2004, 6:18 AM
Post #33 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm pretty sure that, for me, the worst long term (chronic) health impact of climbing has been to my liver.

Curt

:lol: Yah, climbing comes with many consequences, some good, some bad. One just happens to be excessive drinking (I don't call it alcoholism, because I don't support the use of the name of the only disease that one can be yelled at for having). I don't see what is so bad about this side effect... oh yah, I'm only 19. Damn this sport!

scracus

May 3, 2004, 6:45 AM
Post #34 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good one Curt!--- Does drinking count as cross-training? ha ha

keithlester
Deleted

May 3, 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #35 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm still climbing at 53, did my first E3 5c (5.11b) this weekend, a bit thuggy and not much for the feet, but I have always taken excessive care of my joints, don't jump off things unless I got no choice, dont smoke, drink a little (ok sometimes alot) and look after my cardio

I train for climbing by climbing, can still do two finger pull-ups, all these things I know I can do for the rest of my days
IF

I dont abuse the joints

I dont do stupid bouldering problems and fall off

I dont go out every day looking to push the envelope, just sometimes when my head's ready

I dont stop climbing because somebody else doesn't understand ( she's gone now)

I dont get fat and lazy

So who wants to climb with me when I'm 63, 73, 83.........

timstich

May 3, 2004, 12:54 PM
Post #36 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One problem with long term climbing is overdevelopment of back and shoulder muscles, which puts the antagonistic muscles at risk for more tears. You can see this easily in the builds of a lot of veteran climbers. So working out these antagonistic muscles is a good thing to prevent this.

cliffmonkey2003

May 6, 2004, 6:04 AM
Post #37 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What are the antagonistic muscles? Just curious.

keithlester
Deleted

May 6, 2004, 8:16 AM
Post #38 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I dunno mate, but they sound like some mean MOFOs, I wouldnt mess with them, peace :roll:

dragonlii

May 6, 2004, 9:34 AM
Post #39 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keithlester,
i can relate to the age issue, & i agree totally with your "IF..." comments. i'm no longer able to climb simple routes that i could do 2 yrs ago because both my index fingers and pinkie fingers have arthritis so bad that I can't stick them in the cracks... can't grip the crimps. So, the 5.10 I struggled thru a couple of weeks ago thrilled my ass to death!!!! Unfortunately, for me, its genetic, so it won't get better, only worse.
dragon

cliffmonkey2003

May 6, 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #40 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I dunno mate, but they sound like some mean MOFOs, I wouldnt mess with them, peace :roll:

:lol: :lol: That's funny, sorry if I phrased the question wrong. I know what antagonist muscles are, (weightlifting class wasn't completely a blowoff, I guess) but I was curious as to what the antagonist muscles of the shoulders and back, specifically, are. I'm don't have much knowledge of human physiology. I read in another thread about the same concept being applied to tendonitis in the elbow. The pulling muscles and tendons are strengthened, but this leaves those that do the pushing (triceps?) at a disadvantage and at risk for developing tendonitis.

jonoj

May 6, 2004, 12:40 PM
Post #41 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got these bunion thingees on both my big toes!! ... which have only developed since I started climbing. :oops: Aaarghghgh, not cool! At the moment they're merely unsightly, and not painful if I don''t leave my climbing shoes on for too long.

.... recently I heard of the 'bunionectomy' procedure to remove 'em...... and it sounds sickeningly painful - not too mention the fact that you're rendered practically immobile for a good few months!

Bah, I guess it's 'welcome to the ugly feet club' for me! :roll:

keithlester
Deleted

May 6, 2004, 3:14 PM
Post #42 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've got these bunion thingees on both my big toes!! ... which have only developed since I started climbing. :oops: Aaarghghgh, not cool! At the moment they're merely unsightly, and not painful if I don''t leave my climbing shoes on for too long.

.... recently I heard of the 'bunionectomy' procedure to remove 'em...... and it sounds sickeningly painful - not too mention the fact that you're rendered practically immobile for a good few months!

I was starting to suffer with a slight hammer toe and start of a bunion from wearing too-tight rock shoes. This year I bought asymmetrical shoes which fit properly and are only as tight as I lace them. The problem has almost disappeared now, and I can wear the shoes all day with no major discomfort. I would recommend you consider the same solution. :)

leinosaur

May 6, 2004, 4:30 PM
Post #43 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A recent issue of Climbing had a short bit on the antagonistic muscle problem - don't remember if it used that term but I was surprised to learn that

CLIMBING CAN LEAD TO A HUNCHED-OVER BACK! It's been a few weeks since I glanced at the article, but apparently over-development of the pulling-down muscles, without strengthening the stuff on the front enough to balance it out, can hunch you over, after a while - not naming names but check some of the older climbers -

so, do some pushups etc. Check out the article, for further info. and keep up that Yoga! It tries hard to balance things out.

Also just good attention to posture is helpful with all muscles.

Another thing to keep in mind re. long-term injury is GRACE!

I've always been a bit of a flailer if I don't watch it, so I'm trying to work on climbing SMOOTHLY, i.e. well-placed feet & a FLOW to my climbing - to a certain extent I think that comes with strength and experience but some are naturally smooth and graceful and some others of us have to work on it. Luckily my usual partner is dead smooth so there's some good inspiration. Seems to make things more fun, too, and keeps the mind focused on the whole body's movement.

Anyhoo, the herky-jerky climbing is not just bad form, it is more likely to cause injury.

BTW I'm 32 and am new but the short-term effect on my body has been very very pleasing; I feel like I'm in the best muscular shape ever, for me!

Keep movin' & groovin' y'all!

leinosaur

miuralover

May 6, 2004, 4:41 PM
Post #44 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How about always getting sweaty hands when reading a topic about a route description or just looking through the photos section?

static_climber

May 6, 2004, 5:41 PM
Post #45 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have gotten lots of problems from climbing. lots or torn mucles problems doctors cant even figure out with my wrists. borken toes (climbing without shoes isnt fun) my climbing shoes binded my feet and they are now 2 sizes smaller than they were. but you have to ask was it worth it. i know im goin to have problems when i get older. i am only 18 and have many problems not all from climbing but most are. but would i do it again of course with no problem. i would gladly give up 10 years of my life if it would mean i could climb for another year.

mandrake

May 6, 2004, 5:58 PM
Post #46 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I can identify with your friend, I'm 37 and spend a fair amount of time rehabbing or babying injuries and tweaks. It sucks, but it's just the price of being active (and old-ish!). If I was a runner (well, I kind of am a runner) or tennis player or whatnot, it's the same thing, just different tweaks. Everyone comes up with their own strategy for dealing with them. I don't have time to give specific suggestions (and there are lots of threads on injuries, just search 'em out), but figuring out how to prevent injuries, when to push through and when to back off is just part of the game.

The other choice is not to climb, which isn't really much of choice (for me, anyway).

Edit-Ya know, thinking further, on the plus side, I'm in a helluva lot better shape than I'd be if I didn't climb, I've had some great experiences climbing, I've been scared sh*tless and I've met some great people climbing. There's not even a question of whether it's a net long-term positive, of course it is, it's just a question of minimizing the negative effects (the injuries).

jonoj

May 7, 2004, 11:06 AM
Post #47 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I was starting to suffer with a slight hammer toe and start of a bunion from wearing too-tight rock shoes. This year I bought asymmetrical shoes which fit properly and are only as tight as I lace them. The problem has almost disappeared now, and I can wear the shoes all day with no major discomfort. I would recommend you consider the same solution. :)

Hey, Fanks KeeF! I'll keep that toe tip in mind when getting my next pair of shoes.

herman

May 7, 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #48 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The moment I reached 30 the regular injuries started coming in heaps. Enlarged clicking finger joint, neck etc.... Permanently on Glucosamine and giving plastic a miss for a while....I guess trading become more the norm the older you get. But to weigh the longterm effect of injuries compared to the friends you have made and fun....I think the injuries are neglectable compared to the good times. luckely here in Cape Town South Africa there is loads to do outdoors when ya injured.

ax

May 7, 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #49 of 49 (7581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm almost 40... been climbing well over 10 years. Haven't had any major injuries.

The effects on me have been: bigger stronger muscles, low fat, and peace of mind.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook