RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

timpanogos

May 11, 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Keepers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey what do you expects do for keepers? I’ve got some 5 mil cord and it still allows for a binner clip right to the pins if the keeper is tied permanently to the pin (fishermans).

How do you guys deal with keepers? Do you fix all your pins with one? How long of a loop if so?

If you don’t, do you have dedicated keeper cord on you, and somehow just tie keepers to tie-offs as needed? If so, how long of cord, how to you tie to carry them etc.

Thanks

Chad

p.s. if you tie indiviual pins - which are most likely to endup tie'ed off? - angle's obviously - but out of KB's/LA's what which of these and sizes are most likely to endup in a tie-off (given el-cap granit)

glockaroo

May 11, 2004, 5:46 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Re: Keepers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to tie keepers from 550 parachute cord w/ a double-fisherman. Strong enough for the job without being too bulky. I made the loops long enough so that when girth hitched thru the pin's eye and the other end clipped to the tieoff's clip-in biner, the tieoff took the load. If during a fall the tieoff breaks, oh well.

I definitely did not tie a dedicated loop to each pin. Too clustered. Just make some up ahead of time, and carry them along w/ the webbing tieoffs. Worked for me.

the_dude

May 12, 2004, 3:42 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a bunch of different length tie-offs. After tieing off the pin, I girth hitch a longer one through the pins eye. I don't do hard nail ups so running out of tie offs isn't a big problem. Another thing with tie-offs, I don't know what everybody else does, but I prefer to clove hitch the actual tie-off. This seems to stay in place on the pin better than a girth hitch.
Cheers

thegodfather

May 12, 2004, 4:05 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my fiancee is a keeper....sorry, couldnt resist :D

lambone

May 18, 2004, 6:32 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer to carry two different length tie offs for the job. Long ones for the keeper sling, and short ones to tie off the pin.

I'd much rather have a bunch of extra tie off webbing on my rack then a bunch of relatively useless parachute chord.

Definately don't sling each pin, if you have alot of pins they will get all tangled and stuck on the rack.

That being said, I haven't done much nailing.

russwalling

May 19, 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's what I do:

I have regular tieoffs (9/16" REGULAR, not super) cut at 2' and tied with a water knot. Have brought up to 200 before.

I have tieoffs of a similar length made from 9/16" SUPER Tape. Bring at least 50. 100 is better.

Obviously you will not need all those for the Column... adjust accordingly.

I have no parachute cord except for about 300ft or so in case I need to rap off quick (rap the real ropes, knot on other side of anchor, pull with paracord.... experts only)

I do not tie each pin beforehand.... probably some lame "better way" thing.

To tie off pins: clove hitch the regular tie off on the pin... beat into crack. Girth regular tie off into eye and clip. If the tieoff that is beat into the rock breaks during a fall, the eye keeper just might hold.

For regular pins: don't girth (hard to remove) but put the 9/16 super tape into each pin... loop on each side of the eye, clip, beat as usual. Flexible link, saves biners, strong enough to hold falls without the eye of the pin cutting the web. Looks good in pictures. Bring a bunch as they do get beat up from errant hits on the pins.

You can still use the eye of the pin to get more height, and then clip the rope into the 9/16" super. You might gain 3" or so....

tomtom

Jul 19, 2004, 8:54 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How do you rack 100 tie-off loops?

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook