RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

skip_along_sam

May 11, 2004, 1:10 AM
Post #1 of 3 (887 views)
Shortcut

Austin Texas climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone know if there is trail access to the the top of the Gus Fruh wall in the greenbelt? I want to set up a top rope to teach a beginner. What about at Reimers Ranch?

dilligaf

May 11, 2004, 1:41 AM
Post #2 of 3 (887 views)
Shortcut

Re: Austin Texas climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to sure about The Gus Fruh wall but Reimers has plenty of routes that you can top rope from the top, from 5.6 to 5.12. Check out www.texasclimbers.com and you can get the topos.

mark_e_wallace

May 11, 2004, 1:44 AM
Post #3 of 3 (887 views)
Shortcut

Re: Austin Texas climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is indeed side access at Gus Fruh. If you're standing facing Guides Wall, look over to your right and find the downed oak tree. Go to the base of that tree and look up to your left. You'll see the scramble up to the base of the rock. Go up there and then move 10-ish yards to your left, where there's then a tree which you can use to help you up the last little climb up to the top of the cliff.

Bring plenty of webbing. One of the anchor points is at least 10 feet from the edge. Probably closer to 12 feet.

I don't know Reimers very well yet. They say that some of the anchors at Dead Cats Wall are accessible from the top, but I've never tried that. Some of the Dead Cats routes are pretty easy leads, though, if you're up to that. Lead it yourself and then string the TR for your friend.

--

Mark

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook