Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

phugganut

May 11, 2004, 6:45 AM
Post #26 of 29 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Re: Photo Selection [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Excellent. Thanks for answering my question and for putting it in layman's terms. Sorry to spend so much time & energy on such a trivial topic. Your answers and your efforts with this site are appreciated.

Partner tim

May 11, 2004, 6:49 AM
Post #27 of 29 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
choose a random set of y photos from the above selection

Most likely be the culprit for why we see the same photos over and over again? Is it a linear set? If so, doesn't that more heavily weight and create a greater % chance of seeing "middle" ranked photos inside of the overall total of "qualified" photos?

Actually, it's supposed to compress the selection towards the higher-ranked photos. I should probably run it a few thousand times (just the raw numbers) and see what shape the distribution really takes. In fact, between that and a bunch of trial runs of the eigensystem method, I think you just handed me a generic test harness for these sorts of things.

Thanks! I will have an answer for you as soon as I run the simulations.

Partner tim

May 11, 2004, 6:52 AM
Post #28 of 29 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Excellent. Thanks for answering my question and for putting it in layman's terms. Sorry to spend so much time & energy on such a trivial topic. Your answers and your efforts with this site are appreciated.

It turns out that this type of problem -- take a bunch of assertions from a bunch of sources and sort out which ones have the most merit -- is pretty common. So I'm mostly doing this out of mathematical curiosity (and since it dovetails into what I am pursuing a PhD in).

escale

May 11, 2004, 7:37 AM
Post #29 of 29 (2341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roughster wrote:
In reply to:
The problem is, how low do we drop criteria before we start seeing butt shots on the front page?

What is wrong with butt shots? Some of these climbers have really nice photographic butts. Ask the chicks in the chick climbers forum, I don't think they mind. Maybe we need a catagory inbetween artistic and ice, just for this kind of artistic rendering called "butts" or between mountaineering and sport called "my butt"

Hey, could this get me kicked off the forums? I am just tryin to be a comic. I know: "don't leave my day job" I can tell it's not working when all my lines are followed by deafening silence. Ughh, I need to get a life.

---Escale.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook